Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_campbell73

Basement garage and mudroom...where do you put the laundry?

Karen Campbell
3 years ago

My floorplan is on a sloped grade, lending itself to a large basement garage/shop, mudroom, and future walkout guest suite. The stairs lead to the main floor/living area where there are 2 children's rooms, and the top floor is reserved for the master suite (for the views). Our challenge is...where do we put the laundry? We've discussed placing the laundry by the kids' rooms central on the main floor, but recently have discussed putting the laundry in the basement with some 'assist' like a dumbwaiter. Any input from those who have done it? Our kiddos will be old enough to do their own laundry once the house is complete...

Comments (17)

• David Cary
    3 years ago

I would say main floor. Or alternatively 2 areas - one central downstairs and one in the master closet.

• aziline
    3 years ago

Ours is off the mudroom. Perfect spot for us.

• anj_p
    3 years ago

I would do two. Laundry closet by kids' rooms and bigger laundry by master.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Main floor. Most of the laundry will originate and terminate there, (even twice as many bed linens as upstairs) and everyone is on the main floor most of the day, so it is the most convenient.

• kayozzy
    3 years ago

My last house was 2 stories with the laundry in the basement. Going up and down 2 flights of stairs to do laundry was a chore. I made it my exercise day. Definitely would do main floor if you have the space.

• ghatta
    3 years ago

Mine is in the mud room. Works just fine.

• Karen Campbell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

For those who use 2 laundry areas, do you find it to be out-of-place in the master closet? I've read other input that says "avoid putting laundry in the master" due to the noise, but I think it's a valuable thought. With laundry on either main or basement, I will be trucking laundry up and down at least one flight of stairs...

• David Cary
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We have laundry basically in the master closet. I find the noise issue a rare problem. First, you probably don't go to be with things in the washer. The washer will usually be your loud spin cycle. The dryer is loud with certain things like shoes or jackets with zippers. So you avoid those 2 rare events when you go to bed. Is that really a big deal? Also those rare things you are usually wanting to check on because the sensor doesn't work great with small loads - so you are awake anyway.

You will find input that says all sorts of things. Doesn't make it right or applicable to you.

Kids rooms generally have smaller beds and get washed less than parents bedding. YMMV. Ditto for the towels.

• Kat
    3 years ago

I prefer laundry on the main floor, where I spend the most of my time and I'm reminded about more easily. . I'd much rather carry down some laundry in the morning, wash/dry/fold it throughout the day, and then owners of laundry can make one trip to their space to put it away.

If it's upstairs or in the basement it often gets forgotten in the washer for longer than I'd like.

• Cavimum
    3 years ago

Main floor. Second choice would be mud room. Avoid stairs if possible.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 years ago

Hi, Karen,

I'll see your question and raise you one.

The answer to your question about where to locate the laundry depends on the answers to two questions: 1.) Where is the laundry generated? (typically in the bedrooms unless you live on a farm) and 2.) If you multi-task while doing laundry e.g., run laundry while cooking dinner, what location is most convenient to the other tasks?

Karen Campbell thanked Charles Ross Homes
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Main floor for me. We have a basement, main floor, all bedrooms up, laundry is on main floor in mud room. It’s great

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Main floor. Kids can wash last minute laundry late at night and dry it before school in the morning.

Dumbwaiters and laundry chutes aren't permitted in some areas because they can act as chimneys in event of fires.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Locate the laundry:

1 Where you will be most of the time so it will be convenient to change the loads and fold clothes, or

2 Where dirty clothes are generated from so laundry baskets do not have to carried far, or

3 Where you want to get the most exercise.

• David Cary
    3 years ago

I think chutes can always act as chimneys and fires happen everywhere.

• lmckuin
    3 years ago

We have two. One (larger) set in the basement (it’s an older house and where it was originally) and a smaller set on 2nd floor by the kids’ rooms when the home was remodeled. It is nice having a place to drop really muddy things straight from the outside/ garage. I don’t mind the stairs. I personally prefer using the basement one (more room to fold). Our kids prefer the set near them.

• Karen Campbell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Excellent comments. Thank you everyone. We are a mixed household, so one child is only present 50% of the time (other 50% is with his mother), and my daughter is with us 100% of the time. Most of the laundry is generated by us (my partner and I) on the lofted 2nd floor and my daughter on the main floor (as well as the kitchen I suppose). The wrench in the plan is that the plan allows for a MIL space in the basement, which may house my aging parents at some point. The basement also is where the mudroom/primary family entrance will be. We are adventurous family, so often coming in from trips/etc. Although our laundry is on the 2nd floor in our current home, located between the master and my daughter's room. I love it having it so close to the bedrooms, and I don't mind carrying the occasional load from a camping trip up the stairs. So maybe keeping it on the main floor is best! I'll be investigating the restrictions on dumbwaiters, as having a lift from the basement would also help in carrying other loads (groceries) up the stairs.