jamie_z7bhz8

Veggie Tales - May 2021

Jamie

Happy May Day, Everyone!! By now I think that all of us will have something growing in our spring garden and by the end of the month, everyone will be well on their way to tending a summer garden.

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

John, I hope the doc is able to offer some help for the not too good news he gave you.

Cindy - Thanks for the link about waxing fruits and veggies. I have even more of “your” iris open today! So pretty.

This morning I discovered this guy in the neighbor’s driveway when I went out to check my garden. I didn’t have my phone on me so I had to run back in to the house to get it. He sat there and waited for me to return.

This evening I discovered the first pea pods on the first-planted row of Maestro. Yay!

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Cindy, Jamie, Margi - Thanks for the support. He said it's not congestive heart failure as the Xray suggested. But it's a leaky valve. Can be fixed with a clip; in thru the mouth??

Shed and fence (Should I paint the fence)

Hydrangeas are on my mind this year too (never tried them yet), but I really clicked on this link because of "should I paint the fence". I looked at the pictures and also craved a little more contrast between the saturated shed colors and the grey fence and would have suggested a wash (watery paint with no primer, or stain) in charcoal black. Still weathered looking and not to keep up with slickly painting every year, but nicer contrast against the bright colors. - Maybe I have to take my own advice for the worn out grey fence in my own newly purchased backyard!!

Nice cherry kitchen cabinets but they are too dark! White paint??

Awesome, very light & airy. That was a lot of painting!!! As I had mentioned a while ago when I had viewed the panorama picture (of kitchen & dining area) that the reason you felt the kitchen was dark is that the dining was so light. Also now I see that your living room was also light . Of the 3 rooms the kitchen has the most wood & less light . When refinishing the kitchen floor will you be stripping the wood & staining it lighter or installing a different lighter flooring (ceramic)?

Office Redo!

This is a warm, inviting room -- one where you can relax as you work. I like that. You are personalizing it with meaningful objects and furniture, which is what a good room should be. I'm appending a couple fun pieces of art, Hello, New York and Love, from Paris, which go along with the color scheme of the walls, as well as the eclectic, relaxed nature of the room. A couple larger pieces of art, as opposed to many small framed pieces, work well in a room that has many furniture and accessory items in it. You want to maintain that clear, open, fresh look as opposed to getting a sense of clutter. Both works are available as original paintings on my Houzz page, as well as prints at my pages on Art. com (http://bit.ly/1uDnuh4) or AllPosters (http://bit.ly/1xW0ojD) May you have many hours of satisfying work in your new office space!

POLL: Long-term homeowners: What would you tell your younger self?

I disagree that real estate is the best investment. There are too many stories of people who bought high in boom times, then found themselves with negative equity when the economy tanked. Many of those people lost their homes, and in places where you can't just walk away from the mortgage (which is most of the world), they are still paying off the debt. Even in places with healthy economies, the long term increase in home value is no better, and often worse, than an index fund. People say, "oh, I bought my house 20 years ago for $250,000 and sold it today for $500,000 so I made a 100% profit." No, they didn't. Deduct the costs for mortgage interest, property taxes, insurance, maintenance and improvements over those 20 years, and see what the profit really was. And don't forget real estate agent fees either. Your own home isn't an investment, at least not a great one. It's greatest value is not monetary. As for investment properties, they can be good income streams, but come with their own set of headaches. Ask me how I know...
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

John - I hope they get you fixed up good as new!

Margi - I think he/she was waiting for food. Probably a female with a litter of kits near by.

I sowed some yellow straight neck and Costata Romanesco squash yesterday and harvested another 1.5 lbs. of asparagus.

Might rain today or not. If it does I don't think t will amount to much. It seems to be staying to the south where they don't need it.

• Jamie

We had some thunderstorm early this morning - they started around 3:30. It wasn’t as bad as the forecast suggested though. Right now, it’s sunny and very humid. We might get some more this afternoon. I think Arkansas and some areas north of us got it worse than we did. I will check with my parents later this morning to see how much they ended up getting. There was a long line of storms that crossed the Mississippi River and stretched from south of Memphis up into Kentucky.

• Jamie

Jack- if you send me some buckets, I’ll send you some of this excess water hahaha!

• cindy-6b/7a VA

Margi - That poor fox looks emaciated.

My bearded iris are just now starting to bloom, though not yet the tall one that you sent to me. But it's close.

We had a little rain yesterday but we really need more. 11/100" total. Most of it came after dark yesterday.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Jamie - you ca hold off on the water for now. Looks like I got about 2/10" this morning. I was just on the northern edge of the rain. A few miles north got jack squat. Looks like that's all we'll get today.

The Sharp Shinned hawk chicks have hatched. I can see their tiny heads pop up when the parents return to feed them. Their last meal looked like a small snake.

I also think there is a Pileated Wood Pecker nest somewhere on my property. I've seen the male several times but the female only a couple. They are pretty rare here as we are on the far western edge of their range.

• cindy-6b/7a VA

My black berries have started to bloom!

Jack - I also just picked a bunch of asparagus. Don't plan to weigh it though.

I also just applied my last dose of nitrogen to the asparagus and the garlic for this spring. We're supposed to be getting some t-storms later tonight and tomorrow morning. Hope so.

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

I saw my first strawberry starting to turn red this morning. Yay! I’m not sure my back is ready for all the picking that’s coming my way...strawberries and peas both hit at about the same time. I love it!

I’ve suspected the fox has been a regular visitor to my garden for some time. Now I have proof.

I stepped over my rabbit-barrier fence to cut some sage blooms for a bouquet, and was surprised to see this guy. I could have reached down and petted him. I gathered my blooms, got my bouquet made, and as I was heading to work decided to check on him again. He was still there. Soundly sleeping. If he’ll just keep the bunny and squirrel and mice population numbers down, I’m fine with him napping in this area.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Jack - Thanks for thinking of me. I already got some blood work for the doc and an appointment for a stress test. He gave me an appointment for 3 months out so I guess he's not as worried as I am. Doing some research they don't put the clip in thru the mouth; that's a transducer they use to show the progress as they insert the clip from an artery in the upper leg much like they insert an IVC filter which I have and complicates this procedure.

At first look the fox in the 1st picture looks emancipated. But its stomach looks full.

• Labradors

itsmce, I loved the picture of the fox :). He will keep the population of bunnies and mice down for sure :).

I'm not crazy about rabbits in my garden, but I could never harm one. Until last fall, they didn't bother my veggies at all, then they ate some fall peas that I planted just to see what would happen (hmm). Then they helped themselves to the kale. Now I have to put up a rabbit-proof fence if I want to keep the veggies for us.

Linda

• cindy-6b/7a VA

Margi - One of "your" tall bearded iris is blooming today! It's raining right now but I should be able to get a photo later day.

• RD Texas

Margi, your fox is looking a little rough around the edges-you might want to leave him a few snacks (raw or cooked meat, cheese or dog food from a tin) until it fills out a little. They eat mostly anything including fruits and berries, so you might want to watch that, but once you feed them a couple of times they are fast learners and will hang around after that. As long as it doesn’t have mange or fight with other dogs they are good rodent control and will come right up to you once they figure out you are not going to harm them. Once again watch out for mange or rabies, but if it stays around the rodent and varmint problem will diminish.

• RD Texas

Finally got my first hand full of blackberries and beat the mockingbirds-yeah.

John, I had my first 2 Orioles about a week ago on my hummingbird feeders, but they rarely stay for long-these were living in the bush in my front yard and love the hummingbird food. I have about 15-20 hummingbirds now. This was a slow year and I was beginning to wonder if they were going to show up, but now they are battling over the feeders once again.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Richard - the Orioles usually show up around here about now and have moved further north by early June. We usually put out a bowl of grape jelly and some orange halves for them. I have an Oriole feeder that I hand made somewhere down in my shop. We sometimes get close to 2 dozen at a time. They don't get along very well with each other.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Richard and Jack - We see very few Orioles here. Hummingbirds aren't here in the numbers you've talked about Richard. And I don't think I've ever seen a Red Wing Blackbird here all my life.

• cindy-6b/7a VA

Hi all. I had to use Firefox and FB in order to post. Hope the rest of you are able to get here.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks

I am also having problems Get an error message when I select a thread. I finally got here by going thru my profile and then selecting a previous thread. I can also get here by using the Microsoft Edge browser.

Cindy - because you and I are the only ones to have posted on this thread today, I believe everybody else is having a problem.

• leahikesgardenspdx

I also got the error message using my gardenweb bookmark. I finally went to my email, found one from April, opened it and that allowed me in and to this May one. Was the same trying to get to the Cooking forum. Now my original bookmarks are working again..............? It was only working using the Houzz.

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Cindy - Here's my clump of your iris. Morning...

Evening...

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan

Mine is messed up also. A bit of googling got me to a forum I could use to get to Veggie Tales. I'm using Chrome. Looks like I need to update to houzz bookmarks.

• cindy-6b/7a VA

Wow, Margi. They have done great for you. Beautiful!!

• cindy-6b/7a VA

Margi - Didn't I send you some of my bi-colored yellow iris?

• cindy-6b/7a VA

Just got an email from Johnny's stating that there's free shipping on orders over $50. until May 13th.

• Jamie

I saw that also, Cindy- I haven’t looked at the details yet, but is Johnny’s shipping to home gardeners now or only commercial growers? For a while they weren’t taking orders from hole gardeners (or they were prioritizing commercial grower orders ahead of home Gardeners and I had stopped ordering from them)

• vgkg Z-7 Va

Still very little rain here, the storms bypassed us all week long. Now today it's predicted to get wet yet again but not holding my breath. Coolish nights ahead in the 40's too so I may hold off a little bit more on transplanting my melons outside. Other than the melons everything is planted outside now, will be planting more corn and some late tomatoes as time goes on.

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Cindy - I think I remember having one bi-colored bloom from those you sent. Is the timing on that one about the same as these dark purple ones? I think I'll have to move this clump to a new location. This is in the front of my house, and I always plant begonias or other lower-growing annual flowers in this area too. I noticed last year that the sprinkler heads in the bed get blocked by the tall greens of the iris and that leaves the flowers lacking in moisture and not doing well.

This weekend I've got to get a covering over my strawberries. They're getting close to ripening and I don't want the birds to get them before I do. I think I'll see if I can rig a covering over the broccoli plants too. I've got a dozen plants and I think they're getting close to forming heads. I sprayed them yesterday with a wettable Dipel since I was starting to see some holes in leaves. I have hopes I took care of that problem.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks

I have been harvesting a number of my cool season crops.

Broccoli

Peas

Carrots

A very few strawberries

• Jamie

Our lemons are coming along nicely. It looks like we will get about the same amount as last year- about 6 pounds (I hope)

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Yolos - Your harvests look great! I will be in pea picking/shelling heaven (or is it hell?) in a week or two. I have pods now and just need them to plump up.

Jamie - Have you used all the lemon juice from last year's harvest yet? What do you use it for?

I hope to discover some scapes on my garlic soon. Last year I froze some which I'd chopped into about inch-long pieces, blanched, and frozen individually. Well, I finally thought to use some of those in a stir fry. They really held up well. I will do that again.

• cindy-6b/7a VA

Margi - My bi-colored yellow iris is usually a little behind the other iris I have.

vgkg - Are you getting rain now? It's raining here and has been for about an hour. A steady, gentle rain.

Something ate just about all of the seedlings I planted on Tuesday. Will be starting over and this time I'll keep them on the deck until they get some size on them.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan

Oh, no Cindy. Critters getting seedlings is sad. I hope the next batch does well for you.

We had been seeing a groundhog around our yard....not in the garden. We were wondering how to deal with it. Then, a few days ago we heard 2 gunshots (not really allowed in our suburban area). We have not seen the 'hog since. We are hoping it is gone for good.

My radishes have sprouted. We are so far behind many of you. We are expecting a freeze again tonight so my planting is about where it should be. It just seems slow when I see others harvests already.

• Jamie

We are expecting more rain this weekend and off and on this coming week. I’m ready for it to end.

Margi- we still have a few pints in the freezer. We mainly use it for cocktails (lemon drop martini for example or margaritas). I’m planning to make a pie with some this weekend (if I get time haha). I also zested all of them after squeezing the juice and have quite a bit of lemon zest in the freezer. I use it in whatever recipe calls for zest

Cindy- i had a similar issue but I suspect my critter was a slug it an insect or some sort.

Stay patient, Naturegirl! You’ll be enjoying some harvests before you know it.

• vgkg Z-7 Va

Cindy, it was a gentle rain here too but all total we got 0.17", not much but I'll take it. It looks to be dry until Monday's next outside chance of some more rain. Be glad when the nite time lows in the 40's are behind us. I had a couple of extra melon plants so I transplanted them yesterday to see how they fare over the next few nights before putting out the main crop. So far it looks like my early tomatoes have not catfaced so there are some nice looking grape sized ones doing well so far.

• cindy-6b/7a VA

Brrrrrr! It was down to 40 degrees last night. The same is predicted for tonight. And next week Monday thru Thursday temps are supposed to be in the 40s again. After that, it looks like the 40s may be over for our area.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    yesterday

Margi - Look how beautiful!!

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    yesterday

I haven't been able to post. I picked up the maintenance contract on my wife's water pressure tank, for the well water, and it's a critical account. Spent two long hard days; without cleanup water. The old tank lasted 15 years, now they're guaranteed for 1 or 5 years. I told DW next time she can choose to do it herself or contract it out. Her choice!

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    yesterday

I checked on the hot frame this evening. The tomatoes are up about 8 inches tall. The broccolli is ready to transplant. There's a few cabbages and the peppers and melons haven't put on much growth. As far as growing tomatoes I call this thing a success. I checked on the April Veggie Tales for when I planted these. It says 27 days ago. That's April 11, counting on my fingers. The ones I planted about St Patties day aren't anywhere near that, sad.

There's a thread on here that talks about the hot frame soil heating up to 85 degrees in a hot frame made to fit a window sash. I never got anywhere near those results. I dug out and refilled my grandmothers hot frame 35 years ago or so. It was about the same width - two feet. This one is double pane glass. Seems like I got about the results they got back then. I remember tomato seedlings a foot to 16 inches tall. They shot up 4 or 5 inches in the last few days. I think I'll get the results they got. I never put in tomato seedlings till May 15 IF the weather report is promising, then I stagger out the planting a few each day... IF.

Seems to me the air temperature is more important to tomato seedlings than the soil temperature??

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    yesterday

Big storms here overnight. I had one pretty big limb fall on my deck but luckily it missed the house completely. I still haven't planted out my tomatoes or peppers but plan to get to it this week after we get past some nights in the low to mid 40s.

I did sow my cukes yesterday and did some weeding. Also weed whacked around all of the raised beds which is a hated chore.

I got good germination on my beans and probably need to thin a bit. I did thin the second planting of beets. Picked the first radishes too and will have them in a salad with dinner.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    yesterday

Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers on this thread.

We've been eating salad most days from the garden. Have to enjoy it before it bolts. And it sure is good!

Today will be the warmest day for the next six days, Lows will be in the 40s through this coming Friday. No planting for me until next weekend.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    yesterday

My asparagus is much fatter this season. Just ate these and a few others sliced in scrambled eggs.

• RD Texas
    yesterday

Happy MOTHER’S DAY-hope everyone has a wonderful celebration and lots of springtime joy.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    21 hours ago

Happy Mother's Day. It's snowing to the north. Clarion, Marienville, Tionesta. Here it's been raining all day. It's 43°F and the creeks are bank full. Usually this is a nice sunny day! Need to plant corn.

Len NW 7a
    18 hours ago
    last modified: 18 hours ago

Nice asparagus Cindy. I had to slap my hand to stop picking since this is really year one on my crowns. Have been busy planting it tomatoes. They had to be potted up to gallon size so digging holes with post hole digger. Along the way harvested some young lettuce and lots of kale, I'm not sure whether it is red Russian or Ragged Jack but it is really coming on.

Next batch of kale behind the radishes...I succeeded growing radishes this year Yay! Have no idea what I did differently.

Len NW 7a
    17 hours ago

Oops...Happy Mother's Day all mothers here!

• Jamie
    15 hours ago

Yes, Happy Mother’s Day! It was a rainy one here! A cold front moved into the area and will drop the temperatures down to the low 50s tonight.

We got a decent germination rate on the sweet corn I planted and the tomatoes are doing well. I have some insect pressure on the peppers though and I’ve got to figure out what kind it is.

I’ll post some photos tomorrow.

We got 3 pints of strawberries today and I had to discard about another half pint because of insect or bird damage. There are plenty of more green ones - probably 3 or 4 more pints assuming the critters don’t get them

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    1 hour ago

We got another 1/10" of rain this morning (Whoopie, ugh). But it compliments the intensive watering I did last evening.

I picked the last of the spinach yesterday as it was bolting big time. The peas will be plumping up this week, the lettuces are all peaking now, and the fruit trees will need thinning soon. Some cool nights are ahead this week but not cool enough to harm much other than slowing down the melon transplants (and hopefully the lawn mowing too).

• Jamie
    1 hour ago

Our potato beds- out half of the potatoes one of them was slow to sprout and I am not sure they will amount to much. The larger ones are getting flower buds, though.

• Jamie
    1 hour ago

A few more photos, strawberry beds and the beds with tomatoes, peppers, and green beans. I’m not sure the warmer weather plants are appreciating the cooler days we are having now.