Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
douglas_laing9293263

Historical Home Window Battle

Douglas Laing
2 years ago

I live in a historical district in Tampa, Florida. My home is on the historical registry. As of this moment, it has vinyl siding over the original, rotten wood slats. We wanted Hardiboard, but are not allowed. We are supposed to replace only the damaged wood - which will essentially be all of it, as it's all dry rot and termite eaten.

The real battle is the windows. Our builder originally ordered vinyl windows but he is not allowed to put them in. The city wants wood interior windows with impact glass. CRAZY, that they care about the interior. They haven't even seen the inside of my house. Right now it has aluminum frame windows throughout. Of course, there are many historical homes in the area with vinyl windows and Hardiboard siding, but they don't care about them when we bring them up.

So our builder brought us over 2 samples - Weathershield Premium and Windsor Pinnacle. They were charging us $30k for 20 vinyl windows. I am told these wood/aluminum windows will cost more. Let me get your opinions please.

Comments (18)

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"Weathershield Premium and Windsor Pinnacle"

"I am told these wood/aluminum windows will cost more. Let me get your opinions please."

My opinion is those are both lousy windows. What brand vinyl are they proposing? Although unfortunately my opinion does not matter much but a quality vinyl product would be head and should above either of those 2 manufacturers.

• Douglas Laing
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I can't remember. I'll find out. But if those 2 brands are lousy, what would you use? It has to have wood interiors.

• Karen
    2 years ago

Doug - have you checked out Kolbe Windows? Their Forgent series offers wood interiors for only a slight up charge. The exterior will be Glastra, a proprietary fiberglass polymer mix. Not sure if you will like them or if city will approve, but worth a try. I’m in Keystone area of Tampa and getting ready to order mine soon.

Douglas Laing thanked Karen
  • Karen
    2 years ago

Kolbe also offers beautiful high end windows for historic builds, but I assumed they were out of my budget so didn’t even price them out.

• millworkman
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Do they say what the exterior has to be? You mention aluminum clad ext. and wood int., which in my mind is a bit odd. Typically if they are looking at Historical they would dictate a wood exterior as well (not alum. clad). Kolbe is a solid choice, Marvin would be as well. Lepage as a bit better price point, and or Loewen (same dollar range as Marvin Ultimates and Kolbe)

Douglas Laing thanked millworkman
  • User
    2 years ago

Those other homes were probably grandfathered in when the district started.

How old is the house?

• Douglas Laing
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The house is from 1928. They care about the interior and not the exterior of the window. And that is what bothers me. The exterior does not have to be wood. The city recommended Pella. NO!

• Sigrid
    2 years ago

Go to a historic district committee meeting. Find out who is on it, what their pet peeves are, have a bunch of pictures and facts about your house.

Readbthe planning rules for your zone. Don't be scared ifbthe zoning regulations are 1,000 pages long. The stuff that applies to you will be under 10 pages. Also, look at planning permits for similar houses. All this stuff is probably on line.

Douglas Laing thanked Sigrid
  • PRO
    Masterworks Window Fashions & Design, LLC
    2 years ago

We have Weathershield windows, which are aluminum clad exterior with wood interior windows. I love them! They look beautiful, function well, and the exterior is low maintenance.

• mihelene
    2 years ago

I live in Tampa in a house built in 1923 but not in the historic preservation district. I am guessing your home is in either Hyde Park, Seminole or Tampa Heights. I've attached a link to city of Tampa website referencing the info on historic homes. I would familiarize myself with city code and if necessary, visit the building department for further clarification. The information your builder is passing on just doesn't seem correct. Good luck with your project and watch out for those termites, they are everywhere.

https://www.tampa.gov/historic-preservation

• Douglas Laing
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I talked to the Historical Committee and my contractor told me incorrectly that I could have wood clad windows. They told me I could only replace what I have with all wood windows. That makes much more sense historically, but less sense Florida-wise. But nothing makes sense in Florida. They suggested Jeld-Wen impact all wood windows. Thoughts?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

It’s hit and miss with hysterical society. I’d put up a little resistance, from my experience they are more concerned about the “shadow lines” than the materials . It’s really hard to give advise because what is acceptable by region and who you are dealing with personally can make things complicated. Sometimes it works best for me to tell them what I want to use then to them dictate. I would not want to use a wood exterior That is exposed to the elements On a modern window.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"I would not want to use a wood exterior That is exposed to the elements On a modern window."

I concur with Todd (even though I definitely like all wood windows the best), especially in Florida. That being said I would not consider their recommendation of Jeldwen anything for more than the time it took you to walk out of the building.

• Douglas Laing
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I did discuss a clad window with them and couldn't get anywhere. I think installing all wood is the easiest and quickest answer regarding the builder and the historical people. (I've been at this since November!) I'll just move in 5 to 10 years and not worry about it. Prices in my neighborhood are insane. As it stands now, the house is worth $200k more than we paid for it 14 years ago. New windows and siding will add more to it's value.

I'm going to look at Marvin all wood windows. If anyone has any other wood window brand suggestions I'll have a look at those. I want to order these Monday.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Kolbe, and or Loewen are good options as well.

• Karen
    2 years ago

@Douglas Laing - Mansion Doors & Windows (on Kennedy Blvd -Tim Burtrum) and Window & Door Storm Protection (Sarasota - Gary Wise) both are Kolbe dealers. I worked with both. Best wishes! Karen Carty

• PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    2 years ago

I am sure there is a Facebook Group in Tampa for your problem and I am sure they have a solution for that. Give it a try.