Software
Houzz Logo Print
raggiosole

PROs objective feedback pendant lights PLEASE

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am totally stuck when picking pendant lights. I received some feedback from Houzz user before but it seems to me many comments are based on personal preference. Backsplash is going up and thought it might help me decide on lights seeing it coming all together. I am asking if any designer pros out there can kindly provide some objective feedback. I really really need it at his point.

This kitchen remodel has been our long DIY COVID project and I am trying to do it right and do not want to mess up with the lights. I am leaning towards rejuvenation cone butte pendant in black with brass fixture and cannot decide between the 24” and 18” size. I made a mock-up of the 24” in the pics below. Island is 99” long and 52” deep. Cabinet hardware and faucet are polished nickel. A long built-in bench will be built where the table is and I will be switching the table to something else. I am looking for statement lights. I also like the Goodman pendant in white and brass.
Some users mentioned to use glass pendants instead.... I just wonder what people that design such spaces for living would do. I have looked as so many pics and kitchen online and I think I am drowning between all the choices.









Butte Black


Butte White


Goodman white and brass


Goodman white, brass and black


Goodman 18” white and brass
Goodman 24” white and brass
Butte 18” white
Glass pendant instead
Butte 24” white
Butte 18” black
Butte 24” black
Goodman 18" white, brass and black
Goodman 24" white, brass and black

Comments (63)

  • 5 years ago

    is this your final group? I prefer the Dekum...16 in. can't recall in detail but wasnt there a clear and/or white glass option some weeks ago? anyway you're into the black now it appears......

  • 5 years ago

    @herbflavor yes, there still is. ThAt was the Goodman pendant in nickel which also comes in white and black. I have the Goodman pendant listed at the top of this posting. The problem now is that I received some additional feedback and the cone shape might not go well with my cone range hood shape. So, at this point I have to decide which pendant shape first and then I can choose whatever color/material

  • 5 years ago

    cone shape is a bad shape???? dont see that ...anyway....a fixture is a blend of surface patina/materials/ size /shape/details/ ... I think pick the one for which you have a strong like. the kitchen is light and the island is right in the middle. which do you want to walk in and see ? for example I really dont care for the larger ones just based on size.....20 22 24 inch pieces I would rule out. if you want big like that I think the black does not work.

    Raggio Sole thanked herbflavor
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Make sure you don't hang the pendants too high.




    Raggio Sole thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 5 years ago

    cone can work, i was just giving options.

  • 5 years ago

    Cone shape works great with the lines of your chandeliers and with your bar stools. I’d stick to straight lined come shapes for the line repetition.

  • 5 years ago

    I think a size in between the butte 18” and the butte 24”. The small one is a bit lost and the large one is too dominating imo. Find something in between in my opinion, if those images are indeed to scale.

  • 5 years ago

    IMO if I had to choose between the two sizes I’d do Butte 18”

    Raggio Sole thanked J D
  • 5 years ago

    After some photoshopping, here is my final group...yeah!! Pics are about to scale. If you had to choose one, what would that be? Thank you in advance for your feedback, I really need it. I am so overwhelmed (lots of pics). Planning on purchasing the pendants ASAP and move on with this DIY project. More backsplash and grout happening this weekend.


    Eloise

    Jazz

    Stonington 21"

    Savona Black 15"

    Savona brass 15"


  • 5 years ago

    Here are the lanterns and glass pendants I like in the final group:

    Julietta nickel

    Millenium

    Hagen black

    Hagen brass

    Ivy

    Kichler 3 lights black

    Kichler 1 light brass


  • 5 years ago

    Here are the lanterns in my final group:

    Julietta nickel

    Millenium


  • 5 years ago

    Here is glass:

    Kichler 3 lights black

    Kichler 1 light brass

    Ivy

    Hagen brass

    Hagen black


  • 5 years ago

    Last but not least, if I had to stay with cone shape, I would choose the small 15" Goodman pendant:

    Goodman 15" black (inside is white)

    Goodman 15" white (inside is brass)

    goodman 15" nickel


  • 5 years ago

    I'm not a pro, but I really like the Goodman 15" nickel. The black is too jarring, the white is too white. All the others are too "busy," too gold, too clear.

  • 5 years ago

    savona black 15 , millenium , or goodman 15 nickel.....those 3 are what I'd choose from... sorry not giving you ONE... you can do that lastly.

    Raggio Sole thanked herbflavor
  • 5 years ago

    @Sabrina Alfin Interiors I am assuming you are referring to the black butte and not the white?

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Yes.

  • 5 years ago

    @BeverlyFlaDeziner I placed the cardboard cone shapes at 36” from the countertop. Do they look to high to you? I know I probably have to lower the lights on the table already and don’t want to do the same mistake with the island. Do you have any insight about the pendant lights as well by chance? Thanks!

  • 5 years ago

    I like the Savona. Have you looked at the Limoges pendant?

  • 5 years ago

    I like the black goodman!

  • 5 years ago

    @a_hem yes, I looked at them and they are nice but they look a bit too modern/IKEAish I think to go with the zellige backsplash.

  • 5 years ago

    i stayed away from this b/c i am not a pro. but i like the black butte: i think black looks best, i like that it's a 'down' light which you need for the island, plays well with dining fixture, stools and kitchen overall.


  • 5 years ago

    None. Looks good the way it is without the clutter of pendants.

  • 5 years ago

    Sooo….I decided to for a cone shape pendant in the end, because that is what my gut is telling me and most of your feedback confirmed that. I am going to pick either the Butte 18” or the Goodman 15” today and finally move on. Then, the other question I have is this: if the pendant are cone shaped and following the straight lines of the table fixture and range hood, can the pot filler be more rounded (kohler artifacts) just to mix shapes? Or should the pot filler also be straight lines (delta traditional)?

  • 5 years ago

    The faucet is kohler artifacts, not sure if that matters

  • 5 years ago

    when yo show this picture, I wonder do you even need hanging lights here?

  • 5 years ago

    I prefer the Koehler artifacts. It looks a bit more traditional and goes with your kitchen better imo

  • 5 years ago

    Probably I don’t need pendant lights, but sure they are pretty and could elevate the space a bit as jewelry together with the cabinet hardware

  • 5 years ago

    I think what they’re saying is it may be too busy with the extra pendant lights. What does the space near it look like that we can’t see?

  • 5 years ago

    Hopefully these pics give a better sense of what it looks like in person

  • 5 years ago

    Other view

  • 5 years ago

    Coffe book area

  • 5 years ago

    A long built-in bench will be under the table pendant lights.

  • 5 years ago

    Not a designer here: I would scratch the island pendants and instead put in a fabulous fixture in your family room.

  • 5 years ago

    yep i would say you dont need pendants and you do need a new living room fixture!

  • 5 years ago

    Yep, that 90s living room fixture is on his way out for sure. The problem is that we can’t stay without a fan there. It has to be a much nicer fan. So, unfortunately the living room won’t get a nice light fixture…

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you so much for all your feedback everyone! It helps so much.

    1. If I decide to do pendants, would you center them with respect to the island or the hood?
    2. Last decision to make here is kitchen hardware. I made it through so many samples and here are my final choices. Which handle-bin pull combo would you recommend?
      Left: rejuvenation Vernon bin pull
      Center: rejuvenation hexagonal bin pull
      Right: top knobs Channing cup pull

    Left handle: top knobs ascendra
    Right handle: Vernon handle

  • 5 years ago

    Close-up pics

  • 5 years ago

    The pictures where you show the goodman 15" lights (posted on Thurs. Sept. 16, I think) has a nice placement of those lights. They are lined up with the edge of the hood and are in good positions to illuminate the island.

  • 5 years ago

    Center the pendants on island for sure. Regarding the pulls, I like the smaller one. Looks more proportionate w kitchen. For the drawer cup pulls, any could work just choose your favorite.

  • 5 years ago

    Your kitchen looks great! The wood trim of the hood, backsplash, pot filler, and shelves give good drama to that wall. You really don’t need pendants. I didn’t add pendants over my island and I love the openness.


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    channing cup pull on the drawers. for your cabinets both wall and base i'd match the metal...or get very close ...is it polished nickel or similar? and pick a slightly oversized knob [both wall and base]. the wall cab doors are on the narrow side and a knob will be fine...along with base hinged doors. that way the number of styles of hardware is reduced and I really like the channing......it will be a nice little bit of feature....all you really need. If you are inclined to want the handles..I'd stay with really narrow...and the minimal center to center measurement. If you want them on the uppers...then place them also on lower drawers and simple knob for lower hinged cabs and skip the cup pulls.

  • 4 years ago

    I ended up going with these pendant lights. Thanks everyone for your help. Kitchen hardware will be installed next. In the mean time, I am replacing our kitchen table with a traditional turned legs farmhouse table. I am thinking to go with an all white table. I also love two tones table. What do you suggest?

  • 4 years ago

    White or two tone table?

  • 4 years ago

    wait! you went with round pendants after all that lol.

  • 4 years ago

    I know… I went full circle… and got glass balls in the end 🤣. I should have listened from the start. Live and learn I guess

  • 4 years ago

    I don’t understand how those pendants work w everything else you have. Anyways go w the two tone table otherwise it’s just so much white

  • 4 years ago

    personally im not a fan of either table but 2 tone over solid white.

  • 4 years ago

    I think you should keep your current table and just replace chairs