Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_629568019

Free standing bathtube - opinions and ideas needed

Mark
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello!

We are in the process of building a house and the master bathroom gives us some a headache.

A freestanding bathtube would be a dream to have but at the moment, it looks somehow "out of

place". We already added a pedestal to make it stand out a bit more.

This is just a rendering so we could still change virtually everything except the window.

Would anyone have an opinion or idea to make the room more harmonious, the tube looking more integrated ?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Mark.

Comments (54)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

So It all fits and I don't see the "issue" . : ) Its either free or not.

• lmckuin
    2 years ago

I think it all looks nice. The only thing I don’t like is how the first thing you will see as you open the door (or the only thing you will see if someone leaves the door open) is the toilet.

Mark thanked lmckuin
  • Mark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER Yes, if when everything fits into a room is good design to you, then yes :)

@lmckuin Thank you for the suggestions, good point. In fact we have already swapped the toilet and the vanity. Just didn't made into the plan yet.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Not exactly true.........

Do I love toilet placement? No. Do I know the size of the floating vanity ?No.

See what I mean? : )

• Valinta
    2 years ago

Free standing tub cons: water temp cools off very quickly. Takes a LOT of water for a good soak, which cools off very quickly. No shower to rinse off the sudsy whatever you’ve been sitting in. Difficult to clean around the outside floor, walls, tub.
    Pros: Hmmm…
    If you need the warmth of a water for relaxation, health benefits you may want to consider a hot tub.

Mark thanked Valinta
  • tartanmeup
    2 years ago

"A freestanding bathtube would be a dream to have but at the moment, it looks somehow "out of

place". We already added a pedestal to make it stand out a bit more."

Why does it feel out of place to you? Adding a step in a bathroom isn't the safest idea. I would seriously reconsider that. A tub with more details or "presence" might offer a stronger focal point if that's your goal. Have you considered a freestanding pedestal tub? The one below has traditional leanings but there are more modern ones as well. Or one in a different material?

Aesthetics are one thing but you don't want to neglect function when choosing your tub or any other element for the bathroom. @Valinta brought up the list of pros and cons with this type of tub. There's also the fact that they can be difficult to use. Sometimes, the sides are too high to be comfortable getting in and out, etc.

Mark thanked tartanmeup
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I always suggest to my clients they go and test tubs before choosing free standing. They are a PIYA to get in and out of to brgin with and on a pedestal even worse I think they are one of those things like jacuzzis that you think you want but they get out of favor quickly if they do not function well. We still do need measurements but for your info you need a min. of 12" space along the wall where the window is and ideally much more . I think in the long run a beautiful well done drop in soaker would be abetter choice

Mark thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I always suggest to my clients they go and test tubs before choosing free standing. They are a PIYA to get in and out of to brgin with and on a pedestal even worse I think they are one of those things like jacuzzis that you think you want but they get out of favor quickly if they do not function well. We still do need measurements but for your info you need a min. of 12" space along the wall where the window is and ideally much more . I think in the long run a beautiful well done drop in soaker would be a better choice.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

I would not have a bathtub on a step-up platform unless necessary for the plumbing. The most important surface is the floor…..use non-slip textured tile for all bathroom flooring, including the shower floor. The tub should also have a slip-resistant bottom for safety. A slip-and-fall accident in a bathroom can be serious, even deadly, with all the hard surfaces and corners. Include security handles to use while getting into or out of the tub.

Mark thanked felizlady
  • HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I happen to think it looks ok.
    But I agree with @patriciacolwell that a beautiful drop in tub might be more what your after.

The other idea I had that you might like is having the vanity pulled closer in and use the entire back half of the room as a wet room. The tub inside the shower kind of look.

I looked around for some inspiration, I will show, but I think you can do even better.
    Some of them are more tradition than others and some are smaller than I think they should be. But just to get ideas rolling....

Mark thanked HU-187528210
  • just_janni
    2 years ago

I completely agree that a drop in tub in a surround that matches the tile would be the better option here. There's something about the solidity of a built in tub contrasting with the floating vanity that works better for me. The built in / drop in tub also keeps the strong rectangular vibe you have going on and provides a fixed anchor at the window.

You can create a ledge for towels, books, beverages and any other bathing accessory that will make a more luxurious experience.

Mark thanked just_janni
  • HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Another idea i saw was instead of the platform idea change the flooring under the tub. Almost created a “mat” look I think it looks very nice and accents the tub well.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

The last thing I noticed is a larger window, I know you said you can’t change it. But can you enlarge it?
    Notice the following photo and how beautiful it looks

• relsa
    2 years ago

I do not understand putting a tub in front of a huge window. First, don’t most people take soaking baths at night? That right there is a privacy issue. And is there really a view to be seen from down in a tub? Second, if you live in a cold climate that window area can be very uncomfortably cold even with triple glazing. Just saying from experience.

Mark thanked relsa
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

Do not put a bathtub on any kind of pedestal, especially one which hardly has any extension in front of the tub.

Mark thanked palimpsest
  • chispa
    2 years ago

The pedestal is an accident waiting to happen ... more so if you are not 15 years old and a gymnast!

• Mark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks a lot everyone for all the suggestions so far.

As for the safety concerns, this one thing we completely missed out. So I will either skip the pedestal or at least extend it into the room for better accessability. Aesthetically however, I think the freestanding tub looks much better on a pedestal than just on the floor.

As for the window, yes, we mostly will take soaking baths at night, so privacy could be an issue. Since our neighbours are pretty far apart, this is something we could definitely handle. The view on the other hand is not as spectaular as seen in glossy magazines all the time. But look at the stars on a clear night is not that bad either.

We actually played with the idea of a drop in tub for some time too but just found the idea of a freestanding tub so addictive despite all disadvantages. I will reconsider and post a rendering of that.

• just_janni
    2 years ago

We did the following. We're on acreage so there are no privacy issues except for the deer.

(Pardon lack of window trim)

Built in tub · More Info

Mark thanked just_janni
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

I have two other thoughts regarding this type of design in general, and I don't want to make any assumptions:

Do you think that you will bring the various items you need for bathing like soaps and bath oils and scrubbies and a bath mat to the tub each time you use it, and take it all away when you are done? I don't know, maybe you will, but people do not have a tendency to do that they tend to leave things like this at the point of use.

I have always thought of these focal point bathtubs or showers, whether free standing or roman or garden etc as "altars to bathing". I don't know how many of you are familiar with Roman Catholic rites, but the altar is empty at the beginning of Mass and empty at the end and they don't leave the bits and pieces of things that are part of the mass lying around afterward. And as an Altar that's how it should be. Nothing looks more ceremonial than an empty freestanding tub in front of a plate glass window sitting there pristine in its isolation.

But that's not how these end up in real life: people leave their bottles and tubes on the floor next to the tub or they add a little table or cart that gets crammed with things and then there is a bathmat hanging on the edge of the tub or drooping nearby. It ends up looking nothing like your rendering in the hands of most people. And if most people want it to look pristine most of the time they either spend extra time keeping it that way or they stop using it as often so it doesn't look messy. And if clutter is something that you are essentially blind to, which a lot of people are, then maybe it won't bother you that there is a bunch of stuff piled around the tub, and that's perfectly fine, but it's not going to look like those pictures.

Mark thanked palimpsest
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

Actually that was only one of the thoughts. The other is that you do not want, and it is not allowable by IRC, to have a hanging fixture within arms reach of the tub. Slip a little bit and one of your arms could hit it, or you could grab at it as a reaction to steady yourself.

Mark thanked palimpsest
  • acm
    2 years ago

I like the look you're going for. You may need to check code for a bath in front of a large window -- I was told I had to put iron (like a juliette balcony) on the outside. Same with a lighting fixture over a tub. But I also like the minimalism and the placement of the elements.

One of my favorites did this with the floor:

Yorba Linda Master Bathroom · More Info

• Verbo
    2 years ago

A built in with low drawers to either side would integrate better, AND provide spots to store the effluvium associated with bathing. One could even be a towel warmer. The front apron of the tub could match the cabinets, and it all look sleek and modern, and ”fitted” to the room.

Mark thanked Verbo
  • Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

No step up into tub for safety reasons and add free standing faucet for drama. The object of the freestanding tub is to stand out. Enhance the drama.

• SJ E
    2 years ago

Japanese soaking tub in a wood finish to match the vanity would be my go-to, preferably rectangular in shape and with an edge wide enough to hold products in use during bathing.

• mainenell
    2 years ago

I think part of the problem is the height of the window. When bathing in such a situation I would want to be able to see out the window while bathing. This window looks too high. Especially when you take out the “accident waiting to happen” platform.

• just_janni
    2 years ago

I would continue the same tile or use an apron of the same wood of the vanity to minimize the number of material changes and keep the calm spa vibe of the rest of the bath.

But overall the look seems to be more cohesive with the drop in tub, IMO

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

You really need to go to a store that has a bunch of tubs to get in and out of. We went with a drop in surrounded by quartzite and shiplap. Love it

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

I like the idea of the tub having a half deck around it. Makes it easier to keep clean and provides a shelf for items when bathing.

• kl23
    2 years ago

Mark, I like the change. It looks both safer and more appealing.

Mark thanked kl23
  • Mark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mainenell I could extend the window all down to the floor, but not move it in either direction or extend the widht. I will look into this, thanks.

@BeverlyFLADeziner We came up with this very idea but a rectangluar tube but it looked strange to us on the renderings . Thanks anyway.

• Mark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@just_janni Interresting that you say that. Most bathrooms in glossy magazines show a wild mix of materials, texture and color. I'm more the spa/minimalism type but some of those "wild" bathrooms look nice, although I am not sure if the novelty wears off quickly.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

If you intend to use the tub frequently, then you should absolutely go to places where you can go in and out of the tubs to test them. I prefer the free standing tub and had a Victorian tub in my last house. The vanity was close enough to hold our “stuff” and a towel bar was right behind it. It was also under a window and had sufficient space around it to clean the floor. Over time, we stopped using it since the fill-it-up time was a deal breaker. But I would put one in my current master bath if I remodeled just because of the aesthetic. If you’re going to use this tub a lot, the platform is definitely unsafe and many suggestions above are spot on. If you use it infrequently but love how it looks, do the free standing one. But make sure the floor is safer than this photo suggests.

Mark thanked RedRyder
  • Maureen
    2 years ago

I really like the look you seem to be aiming for. Bathroom (and tub) will feel integrated and harmonious by your overall design choices.

Your rendition has a starkness and that’s what may be throwing you off.

Mark thanked Maureen
  • Mark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We won't use tub too frequently, as we prefer the shower. So in your terms, it's actually more a beautiful thing to look than something used every other day where practicability is the most important factor. Decisions, decisions...

As for the fill-it-up time, the tub of choice wouldnt have more water capacity than a regular tub of the same size because there is a molding inside:

It's however three times the cost of the drop in version (same mode, shape and size)...

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

I'm all about function and if form happens to accompany it, great! I'm not a bather either. The drop in tub in your latest version is an improvement from both standpoints, IMO, but you can't have real light fixtures above it. Perhaps those hold candles. We don't know your ages, but if this is your "forever" home, you want to eliminate every hazard and impediment to easy access and navigation and cleaning.

This one allows lots of walk/cleaning space around the tub which would be imperative without a housekeeper.

Spa Style Master Bath · More Info

This combines tub and wetroom

pickle factory · More Info

Here the tub is inside the wetroom. I think getting everything wet while showering would be another cleaning issue for me. Without soft water, water spots on glass showers is another PITA.

Isle of Palms Beach House · More Info

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

"This one allows lots of walk/cleaning space around the tub which would be imperative without a housekeeper."

I'd like to know what superpowers housekeepers have to make space around a tub for cleaning superfluous. :P

• H B
    2 years ago

If not used often, its going to be dusty in that tub.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

It's not that hard to spray the inside of the tub weekly. Most faucet arrangements for these large tubs have a hand sprayer.

• Mark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Or simply buy a gray shaded tub :D

Now we have covered all the safety and practicability issues, I'm still torn between free-standing and drop-in.

• MaryBocaTX
    2 years ago

We just redid our entire master bath/closet area, and added my dream free-standing ”egg tub.” Love it!

I really dislike the bulit-in look of the drop-ins (with the platform on the sides). It seems very outdated to me. We had one added in the house we completely remodeled in the early 1980s. It was beautiful, surrounded by Belgian tile, large window, etc. But it would not have lasted the test of time (style-wise).

I am so happy with my egg tub, and we have no problems getting in/out.

I know what you mean about your desire for a freestanding tub; I felt the same way.

I was adamant that my tub (shape) met my very specific design criteria, and the professional plumbing supply folks had no luck finding it. I actually finally found it myself.

It’s a game changer for me. Heaven!

Mark thanked MaryBocaTX
  • Karenseb
    2 years ago

I broke my arm last week and was able to have a tub bath because our tub deck is wide enough to sit on and swing my legs into the tub.

To be fair, the shower worked very well. I just find built in tubs easier to get into and I like having space around the tub to store soaps and shampoos.

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

Yes those egg ones will go out of style soon

• MaryBocaTX
    2 years ago

@Kathy Furt - Wow. I have terminal cancer, so I’m pretty sure it won’t be during my lifetime. But so kind of you to point that out.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

@tartanmeup - housekeepers at the vacation rental cabin I manage do their best but it was a tight squeeze! Even though they did seem to have superpowers, we eventually replaced the clawfoot tub with a walk-in shower that has a built-in bench. Now the big issue is hard water stains on the sliding doors! Bathrooms are just one of the most demanding rooms if you are a stickler for spotlessness!

• Missy Bee
    2 years ago

Surprised MaryBocaTX would concern herself with a big renovation when dealing with terminal cancer and other important issues associated with end of life. I often ask myself what would be the point of a redoing everything just because it is out of fashion as presented in magazines and sold to people needing to look current. Seems like such a waste. And my cancer will hopefully never become metastatic. Still tempted though….

• MaryBocaTX
    2 years ago

Just fyi…we didn’t renovate because the previous bathroom (“Phase I” of total reno) was ”out of fashion” - we had longtime moderate/severe foundation issues, etc.

Phase II was the other side of the house - kitchen, laundry (to laundry/mud) room, office bathroom, hallway. That was completed about 6 months ago.

Phase III is the rest of the house - mainly cosmetic (popcorn ceilings, adding french doors, removing paneling, revamping vanity areas on either side of J&J bath, painting, etc).

That is scheduled to start January 2nd.

We’ve been in this particular home for 24 years, and I’m thrilled that I’m able to finally design/see the transformation that has been sorely needed for so long!

When deciding on renovation options, do what makes you happy and what will suit your family the best. Don’t worry about needing to ”look current” or what might happen at some unknown time in the future during resale.

Enjoy the process; life is too short!

• just_janni
    2 years ago

So we're shaming terminal cancer patients now about their remodel decisions? SMDH.

Mary- I hope you enjoy the hell out of your lovely bathroom.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

@MaryBocaTX - You are an example of “do it for yourself”! Enjoy your beautiful bath tub and I’ll pray you see it “go out of style”.

• MaryBocaTX
    2 years ago

@just_janni & @RedRyder -

Y‘all made my day. Thank you!

🥰❤️🥰