Software
Houzz Logo Print
lynne_lowder

Kitchen backsplash vote/suggestions

4 years ago

I'd like to add emerald green as my pop of color throughout my full home remodel. In my inspiration kitchen photo, I've scribbled in green to represent the tile I found and was advised it's too much green and I should do mostly white with a hint of green. I realize I can use white grout and there is a hint of white edge in each tile, but maybe it's not enough white? Suggestions are really appreciated!




Comments (11)

  • 4 years ago

    Like this:

    Lynne Lowder thanked Lila S
  • 4 years ago

    Yes, I just figured out how to do it, although it's not exactly straight and has grey grout (which is probably fine). I agree that I may to stick with emerald green chairs or something less permanent.


  • 4 years ago

    I don’t think it’s too much if you love it but it is very permanent. I think you could consider decor or even some amazing pendants in a green color. Much easier to change if you want to move away from green in the future.

  • 4 years ago

    I would also suggest to stick with a more neutral backsplash as in your first picture. Use green as accents in items on your counter and towels and plates. Over the years your taste in color may change. It is so much easier to change out counter items, towels and plates, than a backsplash. Please post pictures when you complete your choice!!

  • 4 years ago

    I get the whole idea of using neutrals so that you can change your colors . . . It is the builders solution when they are building spec homes that appeal to everyone and won't turn any buyers off.


    But this isn't a spec home. It is your home. Do you want it to look like a spec home, or do you want it to reflect who your are?


    I know that Emerald Green is one of the colors of the year for 2022, and greens in general are very popular right now.

    My questions for you are:

    Is Emerald Green your favorite color?

    Do you buy emerald green clothing?

    Is the Emerald your favorite gem stone?

    Are you drawn to art and area rugs and home décor items that are emerald green or incorporate emerald green?

    Would you love to own an emerald green car?

    Would you consider buying glasses with emerald green frames?


    If you answered most of the above questions with a yes and without too much thought then an emerald green backsplash is perfect. If not, what color is that color that makes your heart sing and calls to you when you are shopping?


    You will need to tie the color to a few other items. I might do emerald seat cushions or paint the chains and base of the pendant lights in emerald. You usually want color represented in three places in a room, something larger and a couple of smaller items. The colors in your kitchen should also be represented in the adjoining rooms so that the colors flow from one room to the next.


    BTW - I was kind of on the fence with your backsplash selection until I saw it on the website. I love geometric patterns and seeing it installed as a backsplash sold me. Do you love geometric patterns?








    Lynne Lowder thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • 4 years ago

    I think you should go for the green. A neutral backsplash would make the kitchen beautiful, but the green tiles would make it a show stopper. It’s not that big a deal to change it up later if you eventually get tired of it. At that point you’ll probably be ready to change a few other things anyway.

  • 4 years ago

    As a Realtor I am ALWAYS thinking about resale, even though I plan on living here. I'm truly torn. Jennifer has good questions about my love for emerald green. I like it NOW...not sure in five years;)

  • 4 years ago

    Lynne, I hope you don't mind and don't take offense, but I feel the need to challenge you and maybe push you a bit if I am going to help you make a good decision.


    You say you like Emerald Green now . . . not sure in 5 years.

    What is your absolute favorite color. This generally doesn't change mush after age 20. By 20 you know what colors make you look good. You go into a store and don't bother trying on the olive green shirt even though it looks great on your best friend because you know that olive green makes you look terrible, so you look for something in a creamy yellow or burgundy or teal. You know what looks good on you. Most people are vain and their favorite color is one that makes them look and feel like a 10.


    Trend colors come and go, but what is in your heart stays. We actually have a physiological response to colors that we love. When we see certain colors that we associate with happy memories and times that we felt great joy our bodies increase dopamine production and we feel happy.


    So I am pushing you to really think about this. If your walking through Costco with the intention of buying only groceries, but walk through the aisle that has towels or bed linens and there in front of you is a set of towels/sheets that you just have to buy even through you have no need for new towels/sheets what color are those towels/sheets?


    Knowing yourself, knowing what makes your heart sing is the key to creating a home that brings you joy. The earlier you figure it out the less money you will spend making mistakes and replacing items every few years.

  • 4 years ago

    As for being a realtor and always thinking about resale . . .

    You should know as a realtor that renovations almost always cost way more than they bring when you sell, so if we are just looking at Return On Investment (ROI), you shouldn't renovate. You should maintain what you have and only update those things that are broken or make your home look like it has not been maintained.


    I worked for a real estate attorney, worked with appraisers and sold real estate. The reality is that if you own a home with a fair market value of $500 k and you spend $200k on renovations the house is not suddenly worth $700k. Most of the value is based on location and square footage. Your home will most likely be worth $600k (about 50% of what your spent) and that other $100k is gifted to the buyer.


    This does not mean that you shouldn't renovate, but you shouldn't renovate for the wrong reasons. Your not going to increase the value enough to offset the cost, but you will enjoy your home for however many years you will live in the home after you renovate.



  • 4 years ago

    Lynne - that’s a gorgeous color! And I say go for it. I, too, am tired of staying neutral for a possible resale. I’ve grown bolder as I age and I’m going to do what I want. Life is too short. The last few months of 2021 really showed me that the future is never promised. You want a beautiful backsplash. Its just a backsplash. It’s not like you’re building an entire home that’s extremely personal. Good luck to you! And I hope you choose something that gives your heart a kickstart, whether it’s emerald green or not.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County