Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_deweerdt

Landscape Architecture and Design - Front Yard Patio

Susan DeWeerdt
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I would like to add a patio/seating area to the front of the house. We are the 2nd owner of a 4 year old home. We would be replacing the sidewalk in addition to adding a patio. Initial thoughts are that the patio would be approximately 11'4" wide.

I'd love suggestions to:

• make sure the patio doesn't look like an afterthought
  • downplay the orange in the brick
  • make sure it looks cozy and inviting
  • hide the new fence that the neighbor added along the side of our front yard

Hopefully I've added enough info and photos to explain what I am looking for. Thank you for your suggestions!

Thinking the patio would be in front of the window on the right and approximately 11'4" wide. Not sure how far out we'd have it. It would be a continuation of the sidewalk.

Adding a landscaping bed in hopes the fence becomes a backdrop rather than a focal point.

Comments (15)

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

Why isn’t the patio going in the back of house? Usually people want privacy. I’m just not visualizing it on the front of your lovely home.

Susan DeWeerdt thanked jackowskib
  • Susan DeWeerdt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@jackowskib The patio is out front so we can sit outside and socialize with the neighbors and meet the neighbors. We had a small front porch on our old house and I'd always sit out front. Also, it gets more sun than the back porch.

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

Ah, maybe consider a pergola in front of the far facing on left side done in white to go with your trim. Run garden beds on each side so there’s a nice path to it.

• Susan DeWeerdt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@jackowskib Thank you! We're thinking of doing the patio on the right set of windows so that you have a walkway to the patio area and also, I neglected to mention that there is a gate on the left side of the house. I like the pergola idea.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

First verify with your ciy and/or HOA what defines a patio, and whether you can have one in the front. Oftentimes, cities disallow a full-fledged "patio" in front over a certain size or that is not part of the sidewalk or permanent structure of the house. The intent is they do not want the opportunity for all the things you typically find behind a house, like an 8 seat glass table/umbrella, BBQs, garden supplies, etc. Just a size sufficient to a couple chairs, bench, or cafe table.

• Susan DeWeerdt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Susan DeWeerdt Thank you for the suggestion. Once I decide what we are looking to do I will confirm there are not any issues.

• nsmiths81
    2 years ago

Is the red outline in the snowy picture where you are thinking of putting a patio? That seems like an odd location. As it would be hard to tie it to the house/existing walkways. But you know your space best.

If it was me I would put a patio using perhaps flagstone that matches your brick in the area circled in blue. I’d use stepping stones to connect the current entrance sidewalk to the patio and have the stepping stones continue on the other side of the patio around the corner of the house too. If a front patio fits your lifestyle and community I say go for it.

We just took out our front lawn (CA) and overgrown shrubs and installed a gravel patio, decomposed granite pathways, and drought tolerant plantings. We also added a boulder for additional interest. The plants still need time to fill in, but they’ll grow to fill much of the mulched area. We love it! We’ve met so many neighbors while working on the project as well as now that it’s complete. Our space went from unused to a neighborhood gathering spot.

There are definitely some really great examples of front yard patios here in Houzz, in a variety of styles and locations.

• Susan DeWeerdt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@nsmiths81 The red would be a new landscaping bed to distract the eye from going to the fence. I updated my post to include that info.

Very nice. I bet you love your space it sounds like it turned out to be exactly what you wanted.

I really miss sitting on the front porch and I don't have room to do that now. We just moved to the state this year and haven't had a chance to meet our neighbors and am hoping this will help.

Thank you for sharing!

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    2 years ago

I agree with the above, I am having a hard time visualizing the front porch. My neighbors across the street do not have a porch but they put two nice adirondack chairs under the tree in their front and it looks lovely. They sit out there all the time to be social with the neighbors. I would take that red circle area and make it a seating area with a swing and vine and lovely perennial flower bed around it. maybe an informal walkway winding back to the house... also put some border hedges up on that fence for privacy from the neighbor. I wish I could do that fancy rendering because I cannot find anything that looks like what I am imagining... some inspiration..

• Susan DeWeerdt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mamaham_NC_Zone7 Thank you. I'm not looking to add a front porch, just a seating area. Your neighbors setting sounds lovely. I will be adding landscaping by the evergreen; however, if I add seating there I would have my back to the street and I'd be looking at our house.

Here is where I'm thinking of putting the seating area with landscaping on the left. Forgive the rough drawing as I'm trying to use my mouse ;) The curve of the seating area would mimic the curve in with sidewalk. The sidewalk will be replaced at the same time. I hope that helps. Not sure if the weeping cherry will be staying.

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    2 years ago

Yes it is hard to describe without a rendering. I was more thinking to have a seating area next to the evergreen diagonal that would face the sidewalk with a flowers/plants around it.

If you want it by the house... something like this is what you are thinking?

• Callen Mae
    last year

The idea of a small patio in front of the house is a good idea. I am planning to do the same thing. Yes, I have a patio in the back but I’d like to have the option to sit out front on occasion and I don’t want to just throw a chair on the front lawn. I hope you were able to figure out what you wanted and are now enjoying your new (maybe old by now) patio.

Susan DeWeerdt thanked Callen Mae
  • PRO
    DreamzAR AI Landscape Design
    last year

Exploring some ideas for your consideration:

• PRO
    DreamzAR AI Landscape Design
    last year

Some more explorations (I couldn't resist the temptation to explore more ideas on this beautiful front yard).