Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dazed77

Need help Identifying a plant

dazed77
last year

I recently saw a plant at BJ’s that i loved, but didn’t purchase. It’s similar to the one in the photo with similar colors except the leaves are much smaller, curls around the edges and the plant is kind of flat. Almost like a ground cover but it’s not, I know this for a fact! Thanks in advance! I would also like the name of the plant below!

Comments (18)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year
    last modified: last year

The plant in the picture is Hypoestes phyllostachea, Polk Dot Plant. Whether the plant you saw is the same we can't tell without a picture of the actual thing.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I wonder if the OP's mystery plant is something like string of hearts, Ceropegia woodii?

• dazed77
    Original Author
    last year

@gardengal48 the OP’s mystery plant is a trailer while the one in the picture is indeed the polka dot plant.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

GG’s suggestion, Ceropegia woodii, is a trailer. Without a picture of the mystery plant, or confirmation by the OP of any suggestions, we will never know.

• dazed77
    Original Author
    last year

I actually bought the Hypoestes phyllostachya. It came so tiny!!! I am wondering to what size it can grow? The plant came in a 2” pot . From the picture I think you can get an idea of how tiny it is! Please advise on its care. TIA!

• dazed77
    Original Author
    last year

For size

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

Adorable! Bigger pot, a bright window, don't let it get too dry. Not an idea houseplant, IMVHO, because it's so seasonal and scares people into thinking it's dead over winter. Over summer, the stems can grow from 6" to 2 feet tall, then the tips turn into much taller inflorescences. Over winter, the old stems are discarded, and soon after, new stems grow from the crown/rots. Starting with such a small specimen, it might not bloom this year.

dazed77 thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • dazed77
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Tiffany! Can you tell me if I should transfer to a bigger pot at this point? It is getting enough sun because its next to a sunny window. I appreciate it very much!

• dazed77
    Original Author
    last year

Hi there! so I transfered the Polka Dot plant to a new pot, a little bigger this time, but it doesnt seem to be doing well! suggestions on how to revive it?

last year

Likes moisture, heat, is it inside?

• dazed77
    Original Author
    last year

Yes it’s inside facing a sunny window and it’s a little cooler today. For humidity, I am going to purchase pebbles, play them on a saucer and lay the plant on them. That apparently is a humidifying option.

last year

If you don't run the A/C too much, it could go well. A little out of my depth discussing a summer inside. I've kept these inside over winter, but not summer.

Speaking of winter, don't panic if the current stems die back after blooming. That's normal. New stems will sprout from the crown soon after.

• dazed77
    Original Author
    last year

The A/C is almost always running! My plants don’t seem to mind too much haha. I have 2 grow light bulbs, but may have to invest in a gro light stand or two as the weather gets cooler. Right now the tropicals are sitting on a coffee table facing a window with bright sunlight and they are mostly doing well.

last year

Let us know how it goes.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year
    last modified: last year

They do well in terrariums for moisture in the surrounding air. Do you have a large glass jar you could put the pot in?

• dazed77
    Original Author
    last year

I have a large plastic container (an empty mixed nuts container).. would that possibly work?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

Probably, as long as it’s thoroughly washed. You could invert it over the pot.