Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houzzerpolls

POLL: Fall Veggies

Houzz Polls
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
As the weather starts to cool down, we want to know, what is going on in your garden?

Vote to tell us what vegetables you are planting this Fall. TO ENTER THE DRAWING, POST A COMMENT TELLING US YOUR BEST FALL GARDENING TIPS and you could win a pair of Houzz slippers sent right to your door!

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 9/8/13. One winner will be drawn at random.
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (42)

• lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- We don't plant a garden anymore . Too much work and no time and not worth it to us . I don't do canning anymore -never did too much anyway . What gardens we did attempt was ready to harvest when we were on holidays so everything was past it's prime when we got home . And I hate weeding ! We have a Norland apple tree that we now let the next door neighbors pick the apples .
  • Robin W
    10 years ago
    Yum!!! Green peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, corn and carrots.
  • Alessandra Ribeiro
    10 years ago
    Our herb garden is still going strong. Our green beans are doing well and we are getting ready to plant some arugula seeds that I got from my daughter for mother's day!!
  • Pat
    10 years ago
    Brussel sprouts are my favorite. Right now we are getting ready to plant some kale and turnip greens seeds. They will thrive in the cooler days ahead.
  • Sheila Schmitz
    10 years ago
    Lettuces and arugula in pots and the ground. Super easy if you plant while it's still a little warm, and then you have fresh salad greens all fall, even after a light frost.
  • wyndyacre
    10 years ago
    Here in Ontario, our veggies have ripened for the most part and the food gardening is winding down. But, if I were really on the ball, I could have planted second crops of the "cool weather" veggies like lettuce, spinach, peas and kept the season going a little longer by using cloche covers. We can hold root crops, like carrots, in the ground for a long time by covering with a mulch. We still have lots of veggies to look forward to though, before the frosts come. Right now, my tomatos and peppers are ripening faster than I can eat them and I'm giving them away!
  • cindyrfarrell
    10 years ago
    Plant Garlic! The bonus are the garlic scapes in the spring.
  • Gerald Lorentz
    10 years ago
    I just bought a Condo that I'll be renovating within a few months. . . the little yard in back is full of weeds!
  • T eresa
    10 years ago
    Mostly ants right now..... new house. Next year it will be a different story I HOPE!
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    This year just lots of tomatoes and peppers;) Need to cage them from the squirrels and the rabbits;)

Jeannie can I just buy a pair of these Houzz slippers? I'm serious!
  • hauskammer
    10 years ago
    Weeds, just weeds
  • paulac67
    10 years ago
    Cauliflower! I never tried this before but this year my stocky little plants are trying their best in my small raised bed. I love garden experiments, and cauliflower is my favorite vegetable!
  • Tom Garber
    10 years ago
    Deer, lots and lots of Deer. That's why there are no more flowers. ;o)))
  • funkyjunkvintage
    10 years ago
    As much as my small garden will allow.....carrots, lettuce, garlic, onions
  • PRO
    Solar Pool Technologies Inc.
    10 years ago
    Lots of Basil and Aloe Vera. Carrots and chard. Stevia, rosemary, sage, lavender, mint. I have some volunteer squash or melon coming up from the compost we recently spread. Waiting to see what it might be.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Planting veggies in the Fall? News to me ... I have a black thumb :(
  • inpdx
    10 years ago
    Rainbow chard, kale, salad greens, garlic and peas.
  • guildrez
    10 years ago
    Yellow and red Tomatoes, many different kind of mint, basil, sage, lavender, chives, Greek oregano, thyme, Bavarian hops( for wreath) and garlic. Good time right now for seeding winter (corn) salad.
  • kkbideas
    10 years ago
    I've managed to get the winter chard in - that and carrots are the one things we harvest year-round. I will start some lettuce in the cold frame, and should harvest through Thanksgiving. My garlic isn't in yet, but perhaps I will get it planted today!
  • pmfoss
    10 years ago
    Winter too hard here. Kale is good, you can snap it off frozen. Parsnips overwinter in the ground, carrots may as well and collect them in the spring when snow is gone. Garlic does well as you plant before frost and harvest next August. Good luck with your garden. It's a wonderful thing to do.
  • Karen Girardeau
    10 years ago
    Collard greens!
  • Alotta Miles
    10 years ago
    Just a single cherry tomato plant. The heat and too much rain did us in in NC this year.
  • alicekevin
    10 years ago
    I have several acorn squash, pumpkin, many unripe tomatoes and still have cucumbers coming. Herbs need harvesting. They have done well. I have two curry plants ... tasty!
  • dlcappella
    10 years ago
    All kinds of peppers and 2 kinds of eggplant. So far the animals haven't gotten memo yet so my little garden is safe!
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- @ Tom Garber and others -- deer repellent --- Regular / original scent Irish Spring Soap , half a bar in a little sack made of a panty hose sock ,tied to a garden bamboo stick and poke into the garden between the plants . You can also add some bags of dog hair too . The deer hate the smell of the soap and also the smell of dog. I have never needed to do this but others swear by it .
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    I am not very good at gardening but I must say I have one garden pot with few fines herbs plants and they are doing fine.
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    We have vegetable growing at our farm in another city. However, I have grown tomatoes and potatoes ) on raise bed of soil) successfully. We all kinds of veggies growing depending on the season such as herbs, squash, cucumber, cabbages, lettuce, spring onions etc..

TIP: Reuse the water in which you wash your veggies and fish ( not other meat though) by watering your garden with this.
  • PRO
    Hollie Baker
    10 years ago
    I live in a tiny apartment and a window box is all I can get! I'll be planting a variety of lettuce and basil!
  • sarj81
    10 years ago
    My garden is pretty simple, but provides my everyday essentials: basil, mint, and tomatoes. My best tip was given to me by my father-in-law. Always separate the basil that you buy and plant it in the ground or in a bigger pot. It will provide for more growth.
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    I am going to try parsnips again. every year I think this will be the year finally!! that they will grow and then no.
    you're supposed to let them freeze and then they are perfect, right? has not happened yet. I am letting the Brussels sprouts stay in the garden until it snows, hopefully by then I will actually get some Brussels sprouts!!!
    Just planted some mint so I will have fresh mint next spring.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Spaghetti squash. :)
  • Valerie Whitehead
    10 years ago
    Carrots are a definite fall food...
  • valflowergal
    10 years ago
    Add organic compost to the soil and plant to your heart's delight! Here in NorCal,. fall is a great time for the cool weather veggies. My favorite, snow peas...steamed, roasted, or in a stir fry. YUM!
  • PRO
    Veronica Lawrence Interiors
    10 years ago
    Love carrots - fresh and uncooked
  • bbarick
    10 years ago
    These days with all the GMO products, pesticide/herbicide etc in commercial foods, the only food we trust to eat is that which I plant, tend, harvest and can or freeze myself. Its a shame it has to be that way and its alot of work, but I feel better and safer eating my garden/ orchard's produce than anything from the store. So this fall I have beets, haricot vertes, spinach, lettuce, kale, garlic, sweet potatoes and snap peas still going strong. Everything else is finished for the year except for apples and quince in the orchard.
  • bbarick
    10 years ago
    mousemaker....parsnips can take a very long time to sprout (weeks) I sometimes get anxious and replant something else over top thinking they aren't going to come up. But then they do :( Don't give up, they are worth it! You don't have to let them freeze before they are good to eat, but they will stay fine in the ground over the winter if you mulch them.
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    maybe that's what happened to them? I must have parsnips all over my yard then :) honestly, I just love them. I love root vegetables more than anything!!
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    10 years ago
    CONGRATULATIONS to @mousemaker for winning this poll! If you missed out on this one, don't worry, we still have the Design Neglect poll going on with a few days left to enter. Get your comments in, now!
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/poll-are-you-a-project-procrastinator-dsvw-vd~634639
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    WHOO HOOO!!!! i'm dancing around my computer!!! :) thank you so much!!!
  • Carol. Zone 6b
    7 years ago

I am planting some broccoli, radishes (three types), kale and cabbage. Maybe some peas too! Looking to see if I can make more space in the garden!!!!

• kristincarol
    5 years ago

garlic garlic and more garlic