Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psaag

Need help with a bathroom remodel

last year

Hi, please help me with my main bathroom/kids bathroom remodel. I have pictures of all the pieces I am using below. I am also planning on using round mirrors with a black frame, and black hardware on the cabinets. Vanity will be Shaker White

I feel like something looks off here. I was not planning on doing a black-and-white bathroom, so really hoping it is not going in that direction. Also the contractor added a black Schuyler to the white tile I am not sure how I feel about that. He also put it around the alcove where the shampoo bottles will go in the shower, should I have him redo this piece?

I need to pick a counter top. Thinking a warmer white like Calacutta Arno but not sure?!?

Finally, I need suggestions for paint color.

Any suggestions and opinions welcome. Thank you so much!

Raw materials

in progress

floor tile and grout look

Wall tile and white grout 4x16 look

Alcove with black Schuler - should this black be taken out?

possible countertop

Comments (52)

• last year

Thank you Gerry. I think the alcove schluter bothers me more than the wall peice. I’m hoping that once it gets grouted with white it will be easier on the eyes. i appreciate your counter advice. I’m really stumped on this one and need to pick it out this week .

• last year

Mmm I am not sure about introducing another veined element in addition to the floor - what about just a crisp solid white counter that provides a nice relief to the floor tile?

For paint color I agree a nice green could be great (i would choose a mellow green since it is a smaller space but that’s me) i also like soft white walls in a b&w bathroom for simplicity and freshness

psaag thanked la_la Girl
  • last year

I like it because it's very similar to my MB which I did last year. Great minds think alike! :-) Coincidentally, I painted my walls green. I cut BM Woodland Green in half to get a very light somewhat minty green and bought green towels. The advantage of the color scheme you have with the tiles is that many colors will go with it. If you prefer blue to green you can probably find a blue that will work as well. I used Carrara marble on my countertop. Since there is a lot of variety in whites I can't guarantee that would work for you, but I like natural materials so I didn't want solid white quartz. Since you're going to have black fixtures (I did chrome) the black Schluter is fine.

psaag thanked kandrewspa
  • last year

Your floor tile will look lighter when grouted, but never as light as the photo you attached, so you're going to get more black-and-white elements than you might have imagined. Where is the lighter hex mosaic going?

• last year
    last modified: last year

@psaag - the piece of hexagon tile in your first photo looks like a darker shade than stock photo of the installed tile in the third photo posted. Was there a lighter and darkwr version of the tile? You definitely are asking for quite a bit of work if you want to have the black schluter edge piece removed. Right now, without the grouting done, it looks like there is a lot more black in the shower - once the white grout is installed, I think it will look much different.

I thought that when I saw the Calacatta Arno, I seem to remember that it was a more creamy color - not sure about doing that with the white tile. However, it’s been awhile since I saw it in person - so, maybe my memory is incorrect? It looks like the mosaic hex tile has a mix of colors in it - what type of stone is it - marble? It doesn’t look like actual Cararra or Calacatta. Do you have an actual sample of the Calacatta Arno countertop? You really need to see it in person - the actual slab - in order to see the color + amount of veining. I would bring all three tiles (floor/shower walls/niche) with you when you go to look at slabs. A nice white without veining may be the best option since your floor tile has veining in it already as @la_la Girl suggested above.

@acm - are you referring to the mosaic hex that has been used on the back of the niche?

• last year

@dani_m08 the finished product will be more like the stock photo in real life - my camera makes it look darker than it is. there are definately some warmer tone in it, though

• last year

doh! yes, I see it now. it could be used again on the vanity side, or just echoed with a light gray counter slab to connect the parts without introducing more...

• last year

As bad as that may be, I’d ask the contractor to remove the black Schlüter edge and replace it with white; it would look better, and you stated you don’t want that “black and white bathroom look”. If they have to remove some tiles along the edges, so be it. (Both Schlüter edges should be the same…..alcove and wall.) As far as a countertop, I’d stick with something that either matches the floor tile, or the hex marble, depending on whether you like a lighter or darker look, and how much light that bathroom gets, window or no window etc. I know I’d lean to the lighter side, but this comes down to personal preference. This also goes for paint colors: do you like a light, clean look, and the bathroom doesn’t have a lot of light? Try BM Chantilly Lace; if you like more drama, pick a color…..we don’t know the rest of your house, or what colors you prefer. Your bathroom is neutral up to this point, so whether you use green, blue or purple, it comes down to your likes and dislikes. I do like what you’ve chosen, it will be a nice bathroom. (With white Schlüter edge 😉) Good luck!

psaag thanked coray
  • last year

Thank you @coray . i was afraid that was the answer for the Schyluer. can you paint them, lol lol?

Im definately going to keep the paint neutral/light. I have Agreabe Grey in the house now and will go somewhat lighter than that since that room dooesnt get a ton of light.

Any specific countertops? I was going to go check out quartz remnants but sounds like maybe doing more of a grey top could work? or what about a mostly white top?

• last year

White counter like la_la girl suggested

• last year

Don't pull out the Schluyter. It will compromise all your waterproofing. If you have to, use Rustoleum to paint it white.

• last year

As the little piece of Schluter by the bottom edge of the tub shows, the tile fits into the Schluter in such a way that removing the edging is very problematic; you would need to remove all the abutting tiles and as others have said, that could affect your waterproofing. Embrace it, paint it (yes, you can find paints that adhere well to tile, though it may be hard to exactly match your white) or get ready for a big re-do.

• last year

I love the hex tiles in the niche! The contractor should've used white or silver Schluter. The black is harsh. Rather than compromise the tile integrity, paint it as others have suggested. Go with a white counter top.

My experience: I have an 11 foot tray ceiling and wanted the deepest part a "haint" blue. I was wavering between 2 very light shades but unfortunately listened to a domineering painter who strong-armed me into a darker shade. I was trusting his years of experience over my aesthetic. Mistake! Four years later, I still wish it was lighter. Don't let the installers make choices you have to live with. Good luck with your project; it's looking very nice!

• last year

I agree with previous posters about the Schluter. i think once everything is finished it will not be an eyesore. Since it is a children’s bathroom, i would use a plain white quartz for the countertop. For wall color a light shade of green, an off white,or a blue green. since you said the room doesn’t receive a lot of light inwould keep the walls light.. You can introduce color with rugs and towels . it will be beautiful.

• last year

I don't see a problem with the black Schluter. You mentioned you have round mirrors with black trim, it will pick up on those once they are installed and look like a beautiful picture frame, especially in the shower niche.  For the countertop I would go with either white or black. Sometimes too much gray can look cold. If you go with white you could warm up the bathroom with a lighter green (e.g. BM April Showers) on the wall and natural wood accents.  A black countertop could go with a lighter Parisian pink on the wall for a classical French inspired look.

• last year

I think the black trim looks really nice. I wouldn't compromise it at this point.

• last year

I think it's very pretty. I agree with plain white counter. Painting a light blue would be nice.

• last year

The schluter trim is fine. The black shower head & sink fixtures are ok, but please don’t put black knobs on a white vanity…as my hubs says, they’ll look like cockroaches on a wedding cake. Go with something softer, even a very light gray in your accent tile would be better…or just plain white porcelain. Be careful your counter top doesn’t fight with the accent tile. Marble would be fine as long as the veins are light gray and not busy. Keep the walls neutral - both Benjamin Moore and SW have some nice bl

• last year

Sorry…pushed the post by accident. Both Benjamin Moore and SW have nice light blue-grays. Add color with towels, a painting or print and a rug.

• last year

You may consider a solid white Corian counter top as well.

• last year

I would get the contractor to change the Schluter edge because they should have consulted you before picking an edge colour themselves. If you dont get them to change it now, you may regret it down the road, especially if you aren’t loving the black now. As well, you can look up Maria Killam design blog for tips on the countertop. She has lots of blog entries about creating timeless spaces and picking the right colours to help with achieving with a timeless look.

• last year

I don't dislike the black Schlueter trim, but my concern is that you plan to use white grout. It will be a maintenance nightmare. I would suggest just off-white or a very light grey. With all the nice gray tones you have going on in your bathroom, slightly darker grout will not be dominant, but it will give you a little hedge against constant cleaning-especially in a children's bathroom. I really am talking about only the faintest hint of color. And it will help temper the black of the Schluter tile.

• last year

We just did a similar bathroom. Your marble tile is our floor, and we have a white vanity, marble top. We went wth this color, which turned out great.

• last year

Sherwin williams Rain

• last year

I kinda like the black trim, and think if it’s for kiddos, going with a darker grout on subway tile appears more casual/fun, whereas white on white can feel more serious, and not so much fun to keep it looking clean, and then just accessorize with bright color.

• last year
    last modified: last year

IF the contractor used black Schluter without consulting you that's his error and you have every right to make him put in what you want at his expense, even down to having to re-do the entire wall. However, if you agreed to it I'd say let it go. I can go either way on how it looks- I can see it being in line with the plumbing fixtures and mirror you're planning and I don't dislike it at all. However, if it bothers you now it will become a sore spot later. Don't wait until the tile is grouted to make the decision. Remember, everyone has their own opinion on likes/dislikes. You need to listen to your own. As far as how it looks it appears to have been a planned element as part of the design. So, it completely works. I think you could do a very slightly veined countertop as long as it's a white background. I wouldn't do a dark countertop .

• last year

The niche is only going to visible when you can look into the shower. The black won’t be so prominent. I think the suggestion for light grey grout could help soften the look. The counter will be much more visible.
    Looking good! Looking forward to seeing your finished bathroom.

• last year

If you don’t like the color of the schlueter you can paint it. While white is the common alternative , you could paint it the accent color of the walls, this would help tie the space together. Nothing wrong with any color bordering white tile. It could even be fun if it was any very bright color.

• last year

Your choices are exactly mine, except I am using a marbled larger tile for the shower walls...but have exactly the same black tile for the floor and smaller tile for shower inserts, floor and vanity counter top...YAY..I like!!

• last year

IF the contractor installed the black trim without your approval, and you dont like it, then I absolutely would make them rectify the trim at their expense. Contractors need to be held responsible. A bathroom remodel is done with YOUR money. You are the one that has to live with it day to day. Pale grey or white trim would make the niche look more cohesive and less jarring to the eye. I think, otherwise, that will be the first thing your eye is drawn to every time you are in your bathroom. As far as painting that trim, yes you can. However, over time and shower tile cleaning products, the paint can peel. Just my preference, but I would not do a dark countertop. I am in the process of getting new quartz countertops in both my bathrooms because they show every splash and drip of water. The kids bathroom counter is a nightmare to keep looking clean. Toothpaste spots and water drips every time they wash their hands. Quartz counters come in so many types of white. I would try to find a white with very minimal pale grey veins. If your vanity was pale grey instead of white, I would suggest plain white. I think black mirrors and fixtures are enough of a black accent. Otherwise, your eye will move around your bathroom from black element to black element. Good luck with whatever you decide on. Would like to see finished photo.

• last year

I think the black Schluter looks amazing. It is a good contrast and you are using black plumbing fixtures so it fits. I would be careful with how many different tiles you are using. It makes it very busy. You used the creamy hex in your nitche so is that your backsplash around the sink or are you using subway? I would use a veined stone on your counter to pick up the gray floor….maybe a reverse look for instance a light gray with white veins. Any wall color works. Paint is easy to change if you don’t like it. Schluter and tile will be expensive and time consuming which involves demo and rebuying materials….Change orders are costly and time consuming.

• last year

I do not like the black Schuyler trim. If you do not want a black and white bathroom, why use the black hardware, which is on the way out anyway? Stick to either brushed gold or nickel— either polished or brushed.

• last year

The schluter strip was probably more budget-friendly than pencil trim tile, the black strip is a better than silver for your color scheme. It looks like a deliberate design choice. You won’t have a b/w bathroom once you pick your accent color for towels, bath mat, art, wall paint. Your big decision now is grout color for shower and floor.

• last year

The black isn’t terrible. Is it worth the mess to change it? So far, this bathroom is terrific!

• last year

I like to idea of white countertops. Our friends who we stay with frequently have fabricated white countertops in all of their bathrooms and kitchen, and they feel peaceful and very clean. They are easy to clean.
    As for the wall color; there are undertones in every “neutral” color whether black or grey or white. (There could be blue, green or warm undertones.) Try taking some large paint samples into the bathroom with the lighting as it will be there. Try to pick a couple colors that agree with the surroundings, purchase samples and paint large swatches of them directly onto opposing walls to test. Paint is probably the least expensive part of the redo, so if it isn’t to your liking it can be corrected.

• last year

I like the black Schulter accent looks great, especially as you finish with black shower fittings. Big advantage with a black, white, gray bathroom is you accent with any color. Tastes change, just change your towel colors. What you have shown us is gorgeous

• last year

I’m not a fan Schulter, bullnose looks nicer, just my opinion!

• last year

Not a fan of the black, reminds me if mold

• last year

For the countertop, a soft white would be lovely. For the walls, maybe SW Sea Salt:

https://www.thecreativityexchange.com/2017/11/sherwin-williams-sea-salt-color-spotlight.html (I just used it in a bathroom renovation, and I really like it!)

• last year

I have a very similar color pattern. i like the black- it works with your black accessories. continue incorporating the black with your mirror.

• last year

People, the brand is called Schlüter (the true German spelling), or (as they say here) Schluter!! It’s really not that difficult…..

• last year

I think in a kid's bathroom a Quartz countertop that mimics a concrete look would be a great choice here, and there are many shades available with as much or as little movement in the design as you would like. Pick up one of the tones from the hex tile in the shower niche. You can even pick your finish, maybe consider a matte. Paired with your black fixtures/mirrors and white cabinets, this would be a great look. I would introduce color in the shower curtain/towels/accessories and stay neutral with the walls. I don't see the black trim as a big enough problem to change, but if the contractor did it without your knowledge, it wasn't specified in the contract, and you're really unhappy, maybe you can negotiate a discount, that's cheaper for them than replacing it.

• last year

@geralyn Pettit negotiation is worth a try, but do you think if a material is not contractually specified and is perfectly acceptable in the industry that a small claims court judge will side with the homeowner rather than the one trying to earn a living?

• last year

The black edging looks good, as suggested go with a grayer grout. The mirrors and fixtures will tie it together. It's the kid's bathroom, keep that in mind with counter choice, easy clean and durable. Ask the kids (if old enough) what colour they would like, it is their bathroom and if they feel a sense of ownership in helping choose maybe they will keep it tidier (wishful thinking, lol?) No offence given but your choices in tiles, vanity, fixtures is leading you to a black/white or neutral bathroom. designers always say trust the end result and not rethink when you're halfway done.

• last year

Do not use NWC DEVELOPMENT AND NWC DESIGNS- they took my 34,000 plus and never did my bathroom. They are in here. Unfortunately, I trusted these two people but they deceived me. Do not use NWC DEVELOPMENT AKA A&L construction contractors aka NWC DESIGNS. I’m still trying to get my money back.

• last year

NWC development aka NWC Designs BRUCE AND LESLIE DAVIS KUNKEL. THEY TOOK MY 34,000 DEPOSIT AND NEVER DID ANY WORK. They came to our home and prayed with us. They took us out looking for accessories. They took advantage of us. I was healing from breast cancer. They don’t have a crew. They office out of their home. Please save yourself and don’t do business with these two people. They have an F on BBB. Google their names and you will see the lawsuit.

• last year

Ooh, yikes, Micaela, I hope you’ll get your money back!! 🤞🤞🤞

• last year

Well, legally we are doing everything we can. Criminal court action is next. All he had to do was give us our money back. His wife Leslie goes around looking for victims and she calls and sets up the meetings. Do not have anything to do with these two Bruce and Leslie Kunkel. They came from Oklahoma and I’m posting there as well.

• PRO
    last year

A set of brushed gold lighting fixtures would improve warmth, as current design is cozy and functional enough.

• PRO
    last year

We wrote a blog for How to Choose the Right Vanity Lights for Your Bathroom: Factors to Consider, Hopefully this helps with the discussion:

https://www.newdayconstruction.co/blog-posts/vanity-lights-bathroom-factors