Software
Houzz Logo Print
sylviajoan

Help to organize

13 years ago
Need some suggestions to help organize my closet. Any recommendations?
Thanks

Comments (29)

  • 13 years ago
    I like all the suggestions! Please show post-organize pictures afterwards to inspire others!
  • 13 years ago
    If you have not worn in an entire season = out!

    Hang your clothes in "order" ...

    Tops: sleeveless, followed by short sleeve, long sleeve, heavy weight

    Bottoms: Capris, followed by jeans, followed by slacks.

    Short skirts, longs skirts, dresses.

    Suits, jackets & coats.

    Linens have no place in your closet ... they belong in a linen closet. Linen closet should be grouped/cleared out as well.

    You should go through your dresser drawers as well. Sweaters, Tees, Shorts, PJs, undergarments, should all be stored in drawers/chest furniture. If you need more space ... maybe you could get another dresser/chest or buy a bigger one.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks
  • 13 years ago
    The fuzzy no slip hangers that apple pie order mentioned come in a ultra thin design. They make a huge difference in the way the clothes hang and how much space they take up. I bought mine at Bed Bath & Beyond when they were on sale. They come in a box of fifty.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with changing the hangers. I found some at Winners/Marshall's - sold in bundle of about 8. But recently found them at the Dollarama for $2 per set of 4 hangers!!
  • 13 years ago
    Are these the plastic hangers or the fuzzy no slip ones?
  • 13 years ago
    Should I purchase baskets to keep the top organzized?
  • 13 years ago
    Here are a few pictures of my closet using those fabric bins. You can also get "hard plastic" ones from target that can be put on their side and filled with items - folded or neatly organized.

    My rule of thumb is to keep all of the same items together (when not in use of course) e.g. all candles in one spot, all sewing items in one spot, all games in one spot - not allover the place - you get the idea. Would love to come over and help you lol
  • 13 years ago
    Go for clear plastic containers. Ikea also has them.
    I have clear plastic storage containers so that I can see that's in it and labels describing contents.
  • 13 years ago
    They were they velvet non-slip hangers. Basket is a great way to help make things look neat and tidy. Ikea also has cheap closet organizers that Velcro Round the closet rod. They have about 6 or so cubby shelves that hang down. The ones I bought were for shoes but I believe they sell bigger ones to fold clothes on, etc.
  • 13 years ago
    Great suggestions. Thanks,
  • 13 years ago
    The best thing I did to my closet was buy an organizer with shelves that fit the fabric boxes and two bars for clothes. Tops on top, bottoms on bottom. It doubles hanging space. I removed the top shelf and don't miss it. Long items ( which are few) are in another closet. The velvet hangers allow more space for clothes.
  • 13 years ago
    I'd save the baskets for accessory items, use covered boxes for wool bits and place wire or wood separators to keep the rest accessable and easy to see up top. A cheap alternative to a shoe floor organzer is to use shoe boxes (holding out of season footwear) as lifts for frequently used ones. 2pr. will fit across ea. box, set toward the back of closet, leaving room for another row on the floor in front.
  • 13 years ago
    great idea. Thanks.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What is the width of your closet?
  • 13 years ago
    The closet is 6 feet long by 5 feet wide. There are only shelves and hanging space on two walls the other is where the door swings open. It has good light.
  • 13 years ago
    It is my closet only and it still doesn't seem like enough!
  • 13 years ago
    Never thought of turning plastic bins on their sides. Great idea! Thanks.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh, Hangers Direct .com has great prices on bulk orders of this'd fuzzy hangers
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    A nice size. If you own your home consider hiring a closet company to help you or you can check easy closets.com and do it yourself. You will maximize storage with double hanging and shelves built-in. And it is easier to stay organized with a place for everything.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Always used same style clothes hanger , same colors !! Don't mix chunky one and thin one together ! Don't mix wood hanger and plastic one either , it looks very messy ,
  • 13 years ago
    We just had 1 wire shelving all around our closet. I took it down and used a closet system. It is Easytrack.com. You can design your own closet using your measurements. I cleaned out the closet, painted it, put up the system and put everything back in 1 day while my husband was at work. When he came home and went to change his clothes, boy was he surprised! And he loved it! Once the track is up that holds the shelving and rods, it is easily interchangeable based on need. I also used soft side bins from Bed, Bath and Beyond for out of season stuff. My closet now stays neat all the time and seems to have more room. The velvety hangers take up less space and I am able to hang more now too.
  • 13 years ago
    This is the organizer I bought and added another bar to the one side. The shelves will fit baskets or the cloth drawers. On some I just fold jeans and sweaters.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks
  • 13 years ago
    Costco also has velvet space saving hangers at a great price.
  • 13 years ago
    I got this tip from other social media that you hang the hangers the other way. After a year, when the hangers weren't turned around. It is time for them to be donation.
  • 13 years ago
    First of all - taubbaer, that is an excellent idea! Second - when it comes to organizing a closet never underestimate containers and shelves. I went crazy with home organizing in Chicago, Il last summer. You can get those hanging shoe organizers, containers for hats, those mutli-hangers for belts and scarves. Plus, get a container to put in storage for separate season clothes - big coast take up a lot of space and won't be touched in the summer.
  • 13 years ago
    I keep my hangers the same way round, but put little red plastic circles on them if they don't fit right now (weight goes up and down). If after a year, red circle is still on the hanger, time to donate.
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County