Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teach112

What should I do with this kitchen?

teach112
last year

I need to update this old kitchen. I am considering painting the cabinets, but the upper cherry cabinets are in good shape and I am hesitant to have them painted. I like the cherry cabinets and the dark quartz, but not together. Could not find a refrigerator or dishwasher to match the oven unit and that made things worse. All ideas will be appreciated as I really need advice. Thanks for your help.

Comments (18)

• chloebud
    last year
    last modified: last year

^I agree with rainyseason’s suggestions.

Regarding the white oven, when we bought our house all kitchen appliances were stainless except the white wall ovens. One of the first things I did was replace them with stainless. Big improvement. You might also consider replacing the cabinet hardware with brushed nickel to tie in with the appliances.

teach112 thanked chloebud
  • kandrewspa
    last year

Remove the wallpaper border, and the scalloped piece over the sink if it can be removed without leaving a mark. I don't know what your budget is, but if the cabinets are in good condition and you like the layout you can look at refacing. The door style is pretty dated, so there isn't a lot to be gained by painting them.

teach112 thanked kandrewspa
  • Connie Stackhouse
    last year

The area looks rather dark. Replace oven with stainless, remove wallpaper (go with light paint) and take stuff off the tops of the cabinets. Painting the cabinets won’t update them because of the arched doors. If your budget isn’t ready for replacement or refacing, keep them, update the hardware, and get a lighter countertop without the 4 inch backsplash. You don’t show adjoining rooms,but painting the trim around the 2 windows white might brighten things up too.

teach112 thanked Connie Stackhouse
  • shirlpp
    last year

All of the above and paint the window trim, it's too dark.

teach112 thanked shirlpp
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Agree with what others said. You don't need new cabinets. More curved lines are now in, so I am going to guess arched design in cabinets will be the next trend!!

Also, replace the hardware.

teach112 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

None of the above, except get rid of paper, doo dads!!! and scallop. Why?

Because the ovens are not in a great spot, no matter their finish. .

Because you will no sooner finish the "update" and one portion of the oven /micro combo will fail.

Because you like cherry, but not with a dark counter top,,,,,,and cherry looks good with a dark top. It does look awful with white appliances.

We don't know how long you've been in the home, how long you plan to stay. If you just bought or , or or.

I would advise a wait, SAVE and much fuller remodel.

Show the other angles, more pics. A scaled drawing, with very accurate dimensions of every INCH is helpful too.

Bottom line? I would not advise throwing a lot of time, effort or MONEY into the current situation.

• PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    last year

We might suggest removing the wallpaper and painting the walls a light, but complementary color with the rest of your house. We also might suggest removing all of the items on top of the cabinets, the scallop piece, and adding under cabinet lighting. We also might update the pendant lights above the island and eventually replace the oven which no longer matches. Here is a kitchen idea for you from our portfolio which might help more. Please note the pendant lights, paint color, and stainless steel appliances.

Traditional Remodel · More Info

Traditional Remodel · More Info

teach112 thanked Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
  • housegal200
    last year

Remove wallpaper. Change countertops to white with a faint pattern in browns and golds. Add white subway tile to help blend in whie ovens--not the end of the world. Add undercabinet lighting to bounce light up from new white countertops and backsplash.

Kitchen · More Info

Parkland Renovation · More Info

Get a white oblong pendant or a couple clear pendans for over island. You could paint the island white as in above photo.

• teach112
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Thank you for all the suggeastions, many of which are already completed. I think I will have the island painted next. The only thing i am hesitant about is the countertop change. I will wait to see how the painted island looks with the dark top. Changing all of the quartz seems like a big and messy job so I am holding off on that. Any opinions on changing only the island top?

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

Can you post an updated photo?

• teach112
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Cannot send an update as we are not home, but travelling.

• Susan Davis
    11 months ago

looking forward to seeing changes.

• teach112
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Making a few more changes to the kitchen and thought I would have the island painted to brighten up the area. I planned on painting it with a color similar to linen white, but wondering if another color might be better, maybe a pale green? Thanks for your help.

• k8cd
    5 months ago

Can you post an updated picture?

teach112 thanked k8cd
  • teach112
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Cannot post right now, but wondering if the island may be too overwheming in a very light color...or is it because it is so diferent than the cherry?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 months ago

Lighting is what brightens a space so start there .Change all the bulbs in all the fixtures to LED 4000K then see if you need to paint anything. It will be tricky to find a wall oven to fit that exact space so make sure about that before moving ahead. I agree all the stuff off the top of the cabinets for sure.No wallpaper either. I think the cabinets are dated so I would never spend the money on having them painted . Is taht a cooktop under that window ? I think save your money and plan on a nice new kitchen down the road . Your layout is far from ideal for function . Take some time and wait to do it right . It is not bad right now .

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

If you just paint the island, it might look like the “lost” item in the room - similar to your one white appliance. To update the kitchen, removing the arched doors would go a long way. (Note- Your bottom doors are different.)

Painting a kitchen is a huge job, so be sure that it will make you happy.