Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammi_cotter

Fabric selection for vintage chair.

TeeCee84
last year

I love the advice I get on here because you all have such great eyes!

I had this vintage chair given to me and it is in excellent structural shape. I do upholstery on the side. I bought this lovely fabric which goes with the other colors in my room. But I am worried that the pattern won't work on this chair and possibly detract from the beauty of the wood. Maybe a textured chenille in ivory would work better.

Advice most appreciated!

Comments (23)

• houssaon
    last year
    last modified: last year

Why don't you take another picture with the fabric draped over the seat and arms where the other fabric shows? I think that will give us a better sense of whether it will work or not.

Right now I think, if the fabric works with the rest of your decor, it will be fine. It will be a more modern vibe.

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

Excellent idea, @houssaon. I’m also showing the other two pieces of furniture in the room.

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

The chair will be in the corner as shown. I want to select the fabric before I decide on art and/or floor lamp to balance out the space.

• njmomma
    last year

Love that fabric! So pretty! There is a lot of charm to the chair, like mentioned above, it will bring a modern vibe.

• Bonnie B
    last year

It does go really well with the other furniture.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I think it's great! The hardest part will be aligning the pattern vertically for both the back cushion and the seat cushion. If you're confident you can do that yourself, go for it!

P.S. Would be great to pick up the dark blue from the pattern and get some contrasting cord trim for the edges of the cushions.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Takes a very unique chair and gives it the blahs. Select a large scale print for the chair and couple it with a matching solid.

TeeCee84 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • njmomma
    last year

I think that third fabric Beverly posted above would look great on the chair. Paired with a lumbar pillow in your pattern.

TeeCee84 thanked njmomma
  • Gizmo
    last year

Just throwing it out there....painting the chair too

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

I love that third one too. It would bring out other blues & greens that I could decorate around. I am trying to find that fabric!

• lisaam
    last year

I like Beverly’s suggestions. Your blue fabric is very pretty up close but not as interesting farther away.

• Helen
    last year

I like the fabric a lot with the chair. Modernizes it and it is a good blend of being assertive without overpowering other design elements.

i have reupholstered vintage chairs with fabrics chosen with the help of my designer.

First two are before and after

This was originally green mohair from the 1930's

This is chair in current setting. The wood was also slightly gilded to enhance the details. Coffee table is being modified because it is too high

This originally had cream velvet upholstery - very safe.

• Jilly
    last year

Love all of those, Helen! Beautiful.

While I love big prints in certain situations, I agree with you regarding the OP’s chair. Your examples are great.

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

@helen oh my goodness, your work is amazing! I love what you’ve done!!

• elcieg
    last year

I like the fabric, but not for the chair...too busy. But, I question your putting the chair in that corner. It looks dwarfed next to the chest and mirror. For the chair, a stripe?

For the corner, a wing chair?

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

@elcieg I totally get what you are saying. I see now that the top of the chair back should be higher than the chest. I have been having so much trouble trying to style that space. I have a different place that I can put my chair (in the same room). Thanks for pointing that out.

• elcieg
    last year

What if you centered the chest and mirror in that space and added two smaller chairs on either side of chest?

A chair formal enough to pair with the traditional chest, open back, and use your fabric to recover seats and then use some of the rest of fabric for throw pillows on sofa?

You could go with a similar color blue or a finish like the chest.

• mick50
    last year

I really like the OP's original fabric. Why does it have to be super busy?

• TeeCee84
    Original Author
    last year

Elcieg, I think I have something that may work along the lines of your suggestion. I have two spare Henredon dining chairs that I’m in the process of recovering. The fabric I already started is not blue but it is neutral enough to work. I slid the chest into the center to see (I need to move the mirror then and play around with the lamp & accessories) so here is what it would look like.

• pat1250
    last year

Following

• btydrvn
    last year

I would go with Beverly’s 3rd suggestion… more suitable ….not so bold in color and pattern that it feel wrong on such a delicate and elegant chair..

• loobab
    last year

Hi Sheriff-

I love your choice of fabric for your chair! Also, I think a throw pillow that picks up the dark teal/peacock blue (whatever is the name of that color) in that pattern would be great for that chair and the other chair.

Do you have a sofa?

If not, a cream colored sofa would look great, or a midnight blue velvet one would be divine, with throw pillows that pick up the colors of your chairs, and maybe a drop of gold in your accessories. I am thinking the colors of a peacocks feathers. I think you do want to add another color besides the cream and the lighter blue, the midnight would look great, and a teeny touch of green with a teeny touch of gold or brass or antiqued gold or brass.