Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
regencywriter

Our kitchen is finished!

Alyssa Fernandez
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

For anyone who just needs some encouragement that there IS light at the end of the tunnel, we finished our kitchen remodel this week. (It was also the last day of school, and as an elementary paraeducator, I was thrilled to head into summer vacation on that note.) We wanted a brighter room, a more spread-out work triangle so we weren't constantly in each other's way, and more storage, and we're happy with the result. Opening up the kitchen to the family room and changing from a peninsula that we never used to an island has made the space feel much larger and more functional. We also switched the flooring from wood (it's not obvious in my before photo, but the finish wasn't aging well) to limestone tile in the kitchen, laundry room, and powder room, which should hold up much better to wet feet and pet wear and tear.

How long the project was estimated to take: 12 weeks, including removing a wall and relocating a powder room

How long it actually took: 18 weeks (mostly due to appliance installer delays)

The decor and accessories are still a work in progress, but here are a couple of before and after pics.

Before:

After:

Edited to add some materials:

Perimeter cabinet color: Benjamin Moore White Dove

Island cabinet color: Benjamin Moore Oil Cloth

Wall color: Benjamin Moore Ballet White

Flooring: Cerdomus Pietra di Ostuni (also marketed as Petrastone) tile in Avorio

Countertop: MSI Q Soapstone Metropolis in "concrete" (honed) finish

Backsplash: Soho Studio Baroque Crackled "Grigio" tile, grouted with Mapei Warm Gray

Island pendants: Acclaim Lighting "Kennedy"

Cabinet hardware: Top Knob "Charlotte" line in Ash Gray

Comments (36)

• lisaam
    10 months ago

Lovely. How are you liking the new arrangement?

What is the flooring material please?

• bpath
    10 months ago

So nice and open! And how about that new cabinet to the right of the vent hood! You can fit and reach everything in it by opening just one door. Nice.

• luvkaya1189
    10 months ago

What tile was used?

• Jenn Powers
    10 months ago

What a nice change! Congrats and enjoy!

• vicbayside
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Beautiful details and layout, enjoy!

Thank you for adding another view of your beautiful kitchen and all the details, you must be thrilled.

• hhireno
    10 months ago

That looks lovely.

• iroll
    10 months ago

Lovely, and with better function, huge win!

• Jilly
    10 months ago

Fantastic! Congratulations! You must smile every time you go in there. :)

What is your island color?

• Alyssa Fernandez
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Jilly, it's a Benjamin Moore grey-green called Oil Cloth. It photographed a little darker and grayer than it reads in person. We really like it, and our cabinetmaker said he loves it and plans to recommend it to customers who are looking for a soft grey-green.

• Alyssa Fernandez
    Original Author
    10 months ago

kross1189, it's a limestone-dupe porcelain tile by Cerdomus called Pietra di Ostuni (also marketed as Petrastone, depending on the country). The color is Avorio (ivory) but it also comes in a gold/sand version (Sabbia), a gray (Grigio), and a taupe (Tufo). We had it installed in a Versailles pattern but I've also seen it laid in straight lines, and it looks great both ways.

• Jilly
    10 months ago

Thank you, Alyssa, it’s a wonderful color!

• Carolyn Werner
    10 months ago

Beautiful! Congrats and enjoy! :)

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    10 months ago

It is so beautifully done! Enjoy it;)

• rebunky
    10 months ago

I love it! I feel like you showed a sneak peck on one thread so Ihave been waiting to see the reveal. Thanks for sharing!

Ok, so now BM Oil Cloth is on my list of green paints to try for when I repaint my white kitchen.

Are the countertops soapstone? Beautiful!

Normally we always see wood flooring, but I am really loving that tile in your space better.

Can you edit and add all the details to the OP like cabinet and wall paint colors, countertop material, backsplash brand and color, tile floor, etc… because you are going to get a million questions on the finishes.

Awesome job!

Alyssa Fernandez thanked rebunky
  • Alyssa Fernandez
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks for the kind words, rebunky! I'm sure I did post several sneak peeks, mostly because we wrestled with several of the decisions (flooring color, countertop, and backsplash in particular--I never thought I'd go with a gray-green subway tile, but in the end it seemed to fit better than the textured off-white tiles I'd been fixated on). I've edited the post to reflect the materials, all of which were pretty budget-friendly.

• PRO
    NEW DAY Construction
    10 months ago

Look great, You did well and the kitchen look amazing

• eandhl2
    10 months ago

Nice job and i love inset cabinets!

• champcamp
    10 months ago

Thank you for posting your materials. I am also using BM White Dove cabinets and have been looking at Tob Knobs Ash Gray in Charlotte so this was helpful to see. We are also doing a paneled fridge so I appreciate your photo showing how the hardware goes on it. Beautiful kitchen and I know you will enjoy your summer in it!

• Marcia Hetue
    10 months ago

Love the entire kitchen, and especially the floor. Beautiful!

• gardengrl66 z5
    10 months ago

Absolutely beautiful!

• PRO
    SafelyBuild
    10 months ago

Great job, love the countertops and the contrast with the new floors. Also I really like the refrigerator door pulls.

• JR Feeler
    10 months ago

Beautiful!! Congratulations 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• kellie_dyslin
    9 months ago

Beautiful! Congratulations. I love the finishes - really nice choices. You have inspired me to post pictures of our kitchen. We were functionally complete in fall 2019, but the final details took for-e-ver. Between COVID, indecision, and trying to DIY something we eventually contracted out, we just finished final decor details a few weeks ago. I got so much help from this community - I've been remiss to not post the finished product.

• Laurie
    9 months ago

Great transformation, love it! Thank you for posting the materials you used. When you get a chance, could you post a close up (maybe 4-5 feet away) of the backsplash tile? I love the honed look of your soapstone counters. Any pros and cons you are noticing as you are using it compared to what you use to have (granite)?

• Alyssa Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Laurie, the honed finish definitely needs more maintenance than the granite to keep the sheen from looking spotty; because it has microscopic bumps that a polished finish doesn't have, and the matte finish contrasts with water droplets and spills, I have to wipe it down quite often. But I don't mind that, because I'm catching stickiness (like when my husband cuts up a watermelon and thinks the cutting board has done a better job of containing the juice than it has) and potential mineral deposits (from water sitting on the counter when people shut off the faucets with wet hands) much more quickly, so it doesn't just look clean, it IS clean. That wasn't always the case with my granite, on which I would frequently find mystery sticky patches or notice water rings only after they had penetrated the stone.

Here are a couple of shots of the tile, first one showing the corner treatment that's more accurate in terms of color reproduction, and the second showing the herringbone inset over the cooktop:

• Yayagal
    9 months ago

Spectacular choices, a beautiful kitchen

Alyssa Fernandez thanked Yayagal
  • Anna Devane
    9 months ago

It must be such a pleasure walking in to your new kitchen every morning🙂

• Laurie
    9 months ago

Thank you for the detailed soapstone counter feedback. I, currently, have those mystery sticky patches you talk about on my granite : (

I appreciate the photos you added of the backsplash tiles (with natural lighting and with added lighting). The tile color is soft and pleasant looking. The edging detail around the tiles is pretty in the top photo as well as around the cooktop inset.

All the color choices you picked for the entire space go together so nicely. I have BM Ballet White in my home and love the warm creamy look of it. Beautiful how you added some dark features around the space like the hardware, faucets, counters, and pendants. Is the pendant over the kitchen table the same as those above the island? From the angle of the photo, it appears a bit more rounded compared to the more squared off (top & bottom) island pendants.

• Alyssa Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 months ago

You're right, the pendant over the kitchen table is a different shape, a barrel rather than a box shape. We wanted something a little smaller than the island lights and it was an inexpensive (very!--under $80) option I spotted on Amazon. I thought it coordinated but also helped define the eat-in part of the kitchen, which is a more rounded bay with an oval kitchen table. Our one regret is that we installed it ourselves and cut the wiring a little short, so if we had it to do over again, we'd hang it about a foot lower.

• Laurie
    9 months ago

Do you have a link (or the product name) to the kitchen table pendant? It coordinates well with the pendants over the island.

• Alyssa Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Sure thing. There's even a coupon available right now in the listing for 10% off: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QFQQPGD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Laurie
    9 months ago

Thank you for providing the link. Excellent price.

• Megan Marelich
    8 months ago

Beautiful! Is there any way you could post more photos of the flooring closer up?

• Alyssa Fernandez
    Original Author
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Megan Marelich, sure! But since the sun is going down, there didn't seem to be any way to get a shot without getting my shadow in the picture.

• Monin Martin
    16 days ago

Alyssa Fernandez How’s cleaning the Ostuni tiles been? My designer is dissuading me from installing it because of the tumbled edge. She says it will get pretty dirty on the edges and hard to keep clean. It would be in our mud room with kids and dogs. Did you put some sort of sealer on it? What kind and color grout did you do?