Software
Houzz Logo Print
addc30

Show me your REAL (messy) mudroom!

3 years ago

We’re remodeling and building a new small mudroom. All the pictures on Pinterest and Houzz show mudroom cubbies with a single pair of shoes or a lone coat hanging on a wall with 8 other empty hooks. So unrealistic! I’m debating whether to do closed lockers or open cubbies. Pros and cons to both. But to help me get a real sense of how mudroom are used, please post pics of your lived-in mudroom that dutifully holds backpacks, multiple pairs of shoes, reusable grocery bags, etc.

(And yes, I know that lockers v cubbies comes down to personal preference and all sorts of other details about my family and our layout. I’ll factor that all in. Right now, I’m just interested in some real life examples of mudrooms!)

Comments (21)

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    A better way to approach it is to post a picture of your REAL (messy) mudroom! and have Houzzers make ignorant suggestions on how they would change your mudroom if it were theirs and perhaps work for you.

    An even better way is to hire a professional that can find out your needs and wants, measure the existing space and spaces around it, and develop a plan with you.

    Or rent a flame thrower and burn everything that is not put away in the mudroom each week.

    Other people's pictures is not you or your space.

  • 3 years ago

    Yes, I’m aware. I also anticipated these types of comments, which is why I included the last paragraph. I’m asking for real examples because I want to get a sense of how lived in mudrooms look when they’re not Pinterest-perfect. If you have one, please share!

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    It doesn’t take much imagination to guess what ” lived in mudrooms look when they’re not Pinterest-perfect.” Mudrooms get, well…muddy, and messy…especially if your kids (or spouse) play sports or, if the DH does any yard work. Some kids will be diligent about using cubbies, but many will not. Most probably, if the cubbies are open, they’re more likely to get used.

    You should know your children…are they trainable? Will they take the time to remove the mud from their sneaker treads, before entering the mudroom? Will your husband? Are they every time, going to take the time to neatly put lacrosse sticks, cleats, baseball goves, hockey sticks, or whatever, inside the lockers? Will it get under your skin, if it turns out you’ll have to constantly remind them?

  • 3 years ago

    Here's mine. We opted for lockers because I don't want to see the mess. Sometimes the rug has shoes all over it but at least the coats and bags are all behind doors. This cost $800 at home Depot.

  • 3 years ago

    And yes, I know the color doesn't match but it looks better in person and the cost difference was no comparison (the custom built in of the same thing was $3500).

  • 3 years ago

    Not sure if the smell remark was directed towards my lockers or mudrooms in general but there's no smell in ours. Maybe because I don't have teenage hockey players that put their smelly gear in them. Generally our jackets and purses/backpacks don't smell. Ymmv I guess.

  • 3 years ago

    @anj_p, I understood @fissfisses statement to be a general one…not directed at you.

    Our son was never into team sports, just track…so no smelly equipment to organize. However, for several years, our nephew from Chicago spent summers with us on Long Island. He came to attend daily lacrosse camp.

    The bus would drop him off at the end of the day. After the first day of having his sweaty equipment…including pads, shirt, sticks, shoes, socks, and a backpack in our laundry/mudroom, he was ”encouraged” to leave it all in the garage the following day. Lol…Oh, the smells…let’s just say, it was a bit overwhelming…

  • 3 years ago

    I don’t have a mud room, but if I did it would be full of shoes since they would most likely never make it back to the closet!

  • 3 years ago

    And, yes, my comment about odor was a general one, not directed at you specifically….I had girls, who were swimmers, so only a slight eau de chlorine in our mudroom…then we inherited a 19 year old nephew…skiing every weekend at our place, living in a frat at college…OMG….a perfectly innocent looking pair of sneakers can do unspeakable things to a mudroom!

  • 3 years ago

    Without a lot of harassment, my family members would likely just dump their belongings in front of the locker rather than taking the time for opening and closing the doors. Lots of ADHD here. What do you think your family will do?

  • 3 years ago

    Yep & yep!

  • 3 years ago

    here ours. thank goodness the door you see at far end is another closet, lol

  • 3 years ago

    The OP requested pics of “REAL messy mudrooms.” The three examples shown by @anj_p, @sarahsaccount24, and @Suzanne Moesle…are too tidy! 😆😆

  • 3 years ago

    wah ha ha… closet door is closed for good reason!! lol

  • 3 years ago

    @darbuka maybe I shoudl open the doors? LOL. That's why there ARE doors! Ha. To be fair, our mudroom is also a hallway to our powder room so if we don't keep it relatively neat we'll be tripping over all of the stuff. When I had a mudroom like suzanne's, even WITH an adjacent closet, my hooks were FULL of jackets and bags. Definitely not tidy.

  • 3 years ago

    It’s just me and my husband, our daughter when she’s home from college, so when too many jackets are accumulating I can move them into closet out of sight. DH is probably the biggest mess maker, but he’s been on good behavior since we moved into new house. will update in six months, lol

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    @anj_p, our mudroom…which doubles as the laundry room, is also a narrow hallway leading to the powder room. The washer and dryer are stacked, tucked into the corner, outside of the powder room. The rest of the narrow area, has upper cabinets, granite counter below, and lower cabs…plus a ceiling height storage cab beside that. The cabinetry serves as overflow pantry. The cabs are IKEA, which our son put together and installed. All is on one side of the narrow space.

    We keep a laundry basket on top of the counter, where all dirty clothes go…waiting for sorting and washing.

    There was no way DH…or our son (long out of the house and on his own), when he comes to visit, would ever have used used anything as orderly as cubbies! Why torture myself? Besides, storage for bulk shopping from BJ’s (like Costco), was far more important.

  • 3 years ago

    I’m still working on mine… it needs hooks and baskets in the cubbies

  • 3 years ago

    Here’s ours. As is, right now. In all it’s glory. We have three kids and a dog.

  • 3 years ago





    We have what I would call a mud hall/laundry. We are a working farm with 2 dogs and the occasional bottle lamb.