Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sistertamala

Living room layout

sistertamala
3 months ago

Hello, I have a small living room, 10-.5 feet wide and 18 feet long.

At one end is a full wall bookshelf, at the other end is a fireplace on the diagonal and 6 feet of windows.

I currently have the couch on the wall where the double doors into the room are, and the tv on the opposite wall.

I am wondering if there is a better layout. Currently, we can't .have many people just hanging out in the room. We would like to have 8 people be able to sit in the room if we just want to talk but it doesnt seem possible. Any ideas?

Comments (23)

• howistyle
    3 months ago

Can you take a picture of the current set up & post in comments. Are the bookshelves movable or built in? What is on the other side of the French doors?

sistertamala thanked howistyle
  • sistertamala
    Original Author
    3 months ago

The book shelve is definitely not moveable. Hall way on other side of french doors.

y not moveable.!

• Valinta
    3 months ago

small scale sectional sofa where curent one is. remove the 3 chairs and place the long orange bench in front of bookshelves. Mount TV on the wall and put turntable in the TV console. You may be able to fit the turntable with a slide out shelf for easier access. Reduce the amount of stuff on the bookshelves to lighten the look. A light blocking roman shade, or a top-up/bottom-down blind to fit the window instead of the curtains. A small ottoman that can be used for a coffee table or additional seating might help. 6 people certainly, 8 might be a stretch.

sistertamala thanked Valinta
  • Valinta
    3 months ago

Also, the old radio/record player just does not work in the room.

sistertamala thanked Valinta
  • howistyle
    3 months ago

I don’t think a small sectional will help your seating goal but I also don’t think seating 8 people in this room is doable… have you tried the sofa on the other wall? It might help the room look more welcoming from the French doors (rather than looking at the TV & radio set up) You could then angle the bench in front of the fireplace for additional seating when needed? Agree mounting the TV and using the console for turntable will make the room look more spacious as well as decluttering shelves.

sistertamala thanked howistyle
  • PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    3 months ago

Hello to you. We will build a addition of your room and see what we can do. Hope to get back to you soon.

• PRO
    3 months ago

Not addition, but rendition. Strange how computer changes the words. Can the French doors be removed? I only asked this because they do take up space in the room.

sistertamala thanked Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
  • sistertamala
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks for your comments. No, the French doors need to stay :). And I'd be.happy to take an addition but it's the rendition I am looking for now :)

• PRO
    3 months ago

I really do believe that you have done the very best that you can with the space that you have. Adding a sectional in the room will cause you to lose your end tables and floor lamp. When we need extra seating, we push our ottoman in front of the fireplace for folks to sit on. Of course, that means that the fire can’t be too hot. But then I have also used seat cushions on the hearth for folks to sit on. Again, the fireplace can’t be too hot and the cushions can’t stay there when the fires going and no one is sitting on them, obviously. Another option is to make floor cushions that people can sit on. Of course that’s only good for the very young.🙂 I will still build the rendition, just out of curiosity, to see if a sectional will fit in there. I sincerely doubt it, but it doesn’t hurt to see. Best wishes.MAE

• PRO
    3 months ago

Please tell me the size of your TV console. I’m working on the rendition, but somehow I think my math is off.

• PRO
    3 months ago

We did build the rendition for you. We have tried several ways of arranging furniture, but nothing yields more than seating for seven with the ottoman in front of the fireplace to make eight. Another suggestion is to get folding chairs to add to the room when you have the extra people. But putting the ottoman in front of the fireplace for the other two people might be your best option because you already have the Ottoman. We have some suggestions that may or may not work because we don’t know if this house is yours or if it’s a rental. We will post those either later today or tomorrow. Best wishes.MAE

• Sister Tamala
    3 months ago

Hi! my console is 19 by 54. thanks. i can chsnge it if i find something narrower

• PRO
    3 months ago

Is this your house or is it a rental. Thanks for getting back to us.

• Sister Tamala
    3 months ago

Thank you all for so much help.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Finally completed the rendition. I have been working on it in my head trying to figure out some options for you. I may have come up with some thing. I’ll send it along for your consideration.

• PRO
    2 months ago

I forgot to post. I will be sending it along Thursday.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Hello and good day to you. Here are the pictures as promised. We will post the pictures and explain as we go along.

We did the following to make the room feel bigger: Painted the walls white, hung white curtains, hung a large mirror over the couch to add reflective light and act as a window, removed the area rug and used slimmer light colored furniture to lighten and brighten the room. In this picture you see a 3 seater couch, and 2 seater loveseat, 2 fabric covered and stackable chairs (that can be brought into the room when needed or stay), a large storage ottoman, a small stool to the right of the TV, a TV console that is the same length as the one you already have, 2 floor lamps on either side of the fireplace and some art. This arrangement gives you seating for 8 people. You won't need the fireplace lit because the people will warm up the room for you. Just a little hummer here. It will indeed be a tight fit. But the smaller/slimmer furniture makes it possible. More pics to come.

In this picture you can see that the ottoman is pushed in front of the TV to add seating. Again, close quarters and set up for conversation not TV viewing.

• PRO
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

A close up of the furniture.

This is without the two chairs and using the large ottoman for the additional seating.

• PRO
    2 months ago

The last picture with this arrangement. Hope this helps. We have another idea. It is dependant upon you and your needs, finances and if this is a rental or your house. So it is a maybe. We will post this radical idea shortly. Best wishes, MAE

• Yvonne Martin
    2 months ago

You could put thick cushions on the hearth to provide supplemental seating when the fireplace isn't lit. In our case, the height of the cushion is just the height of the neighboring couch. It's a friendly place to perch during a conversation.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Here are the pictures of the "maybe idea" for your consideration. Have fun!

Yes, a smaller fireplace in the corner.

• Sister Tamala
    2 months ago

Thank you all for your helpful ideas. I will definitely be making some changes to our living room.