Software
Houzz Logo Print
colleen100

Would French Doors look ok??

2 years ago

Looking to add French doors in between our living room and kitchen. Aesthetically, will this work? Reason: We rescued an abandoned dog (life changing) and now need to add doors for separation to prevent the pup from the rest of the house for now. Just want to be sure it will look ok.

Comments (72)

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I grew up in a house with French doors between the living room and dining room ... this will be similar and will work out fine. BUT the doors were often "in the way". I mean, the door swing was sometimes a problem, as it wasn't a large house. You could have custom doors made to fit the size, or you could increase the size of the opening.

    I'd rather see a French door pocketed; that would eliminate the problem with the swing.

    As for those saloon doors, my dog would love them ... a natural hurdler, she just adores jumping!

    I have a half-Husky ... she's actually a Pitsky: half-Pitt, half-Husky. She's the best dog I've ever had: so loyal, so affectionate ... and everyone comments on what a beautiful creature she is. She's shades of brown rather than the expected Husky colors and so elegant in her movements. But, yes, we sometimes need to contain her. She was quite destructive when we first got her as a puppy, and if she's bored or hasn't had enough exercise, she still can be that way.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    You say that you want something "for now" so why not look into gates as I proposed previously? It's a lot less disruption and cost than French doors, which would need to have a latch or lock on them. Also when they're closed and he wants to get out, he'll start scratching on them and soon the doors will look awful.

    The saloon doors are probably the worst idea. He'd either go underneath them, hurdle them, or push them open.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    If the saloon doors are mounted at ground level and have a latch why are they worse than a temporary gate? I've had the metal gates over the years. Dogs can push them over, you can trip on the threshold etc.

    Maybe a retractable screen for the opening.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Maybe because there are a variety of gates made especially for dogs.

  • 2 years ago

    Can you put in French pocket doors?

  • 2 years ago

    I wish we could, but a pocket door will not work.

  • 2 years ago

    Beverly, I love the visual and so like the way the French doors would look. I’m chatting with my husband with all these great comments and will let you all know but we may be leaning towards the gate.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Pocket doors would require that the wall be made thicker to accommodate them. Not much bang for the buck.

  • 2 years ago

    Chipsa, great advice. We too are keeping him on a leash as well for training.

    Diana the gate may be our current thought process.

    Patricia thanks for the puppy advice. We are crating him (in the kitchen LOL) and he’s getting so much better with that.

    Thanks everyone!

  • 2 years ago

    You could convert a nice bifold door to be 2 doors that open in the middle.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    You are a wonderful human for helping this beautiful dog! i agree that there are all kinds of strong, temporary dog gates that will save you all kinds of money.

  • 2 years ago

    I haven't read all the comments so maybe this was suggested. But what about a fixed panel on the minisplit side (glass) and a single glass door, regular width, attached to that. This is too modern a style, but this idea:



    Since you want something potentially temporary, what about a barn sliding door. Not all of them are ugly and would be easy to remove when you are ready.


  • 2 years ago

    You need proper doors that cannot be opened without turning a knob (not a lever). Your dog will be over a gate in a heartbeat, and can learn to work a lever. I hope the trainer is also training you and all family members. 100% consistency is essential. You’ll need every ounce of patience you have, but the love and trust you receive in return will be worth it. Congrats on the addition to your family.

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you! We decided to go with a gate and will be put up tomorrow. Thank you! I’ll update with a photo but for now sharing this beauty’s photo! Thank you all for all the wonderful helpful comments!

  • 2 years ago

    Will share the gate photo tomorrow which will replace this temporary table clamped keep our big boy contained.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    He's just so adorable!

  • 2 years ago

    What a beauty.

  • 2 years ago

    The gate may need to be taller as husky’s are good at jumping over barriers. My daughter got a part husky dog last year and she had to put 2 gates on top of each other because the dog either climbed over or jumped over one gate.

  • 2 years ago

    Aww he’s gorgeous!

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Has he jumped over the barrier you have now? Is he going to grow more or is he full-grown?

    You probably should get a very tall gate, with a mechanism for opening and closing that he can't manipulate.

  • 2 years ago

    So we aren’t even sure how old he is but from his insane temperament thinking toddler :). This will probably need to be taller from what I’m reading but it looks nice (for now). He has not yet tried to jump.

  • 2 years ago

    Disregard the kitchen panels. Soon to be removed. One up one down was me in between fixing them.

  • 2 years ago

    Nice gate

  • 2 years ago

    Diana, he is already watching the gate opening process!! Before he jumps, he’ll figure out how it works.

  • 2 years ago

    Will the top of a standard 80" door clear the bottom of your Air Conditioning unit?

  • 2 years ago

    We have moved away from doors and went with a gate :)

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Well it seems like a good choice, and not too expensive or disruptive. My sister has a very similar gate for her Tibetan terrier. He's very active and smart and hasn't figured out how to open it or scale it in 9 years!

    What an adventure you've started! Let us know how it goes.

  • 2 years ago

    My husband brought him home and thought it could work out. This is more like an oops baby for me. I am going with it as I feel for the dog but he’s a lot. I’m exhausted by 8:30am :)

  • 2 years ago

    First thing, teach him not to jump up the way he is in earlier picture. If you can’t trust him not to jump over gate when you’re not around, hot glue a few mouse traps along top edge to startle him if he tries and trap snaps. This was advice given to my daughter by trainer when her shepherd was a rambunctious younger dog who would jump against the sidelights of her front door. My daughter was afraid dog would put paw through glass and be injured when she wasn’t home. Dog wasn’t hurt and ended jumping very quickly.

  • 2 years ago

    Mouse traps! Hmm great advice!

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Oh, I feel for you, Colleen. I wouldn't be very good at handling this kind of dog--ours is a small Havanese that weighs about 13 lbs. He's easy to manage now, but was very challenging as a puppy due to some health issues. Wasn't housebroken until he was over a year old. Thought I'd lose my mind. Good thing my husband had a lot more patience than I do, and I could go to work every day while he was home with the pup.

    I don't remember if you said you were going to get a trainer, but that would probably be a very good idea. He looks like he would benefit from a lot of exercise--can you take him on long walks or have him run with you?

  • 2 years ago

    You might have to mount a second gate on top of that one...not sure how much research you did on Huskies, lol!


  • 2 years ago

    The dog is ours - we think he’s an Alaskan malamute. But still require same amount of attention and exercise I’m sure.

  • 2 years ago

    Diana, I see we are LI neighbors, well a few towns over :). I am also losing my mind with the puppy stage. It’s work and as all have said consistency but he’s as large as us so it’s different. Praying he learns quickly.

  • 2 years ago

    Don't know if you’ve ever had a male big dog before- tend to be teenagers until 3-5 years old. Plus, he’s smart with loads of energy. Can recommend a Furminator for regular brushing- shepherds are hair everywhere so can’t imagine what you will have!

  • 2 years ago

    Pkpk thank you for the information. I have my hands full it seems for the next few years. Pray for me :)

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Hi neighbor! Does your town have a puppy kindergarten class? RVC recreation offers them as basic training for young dogs. Also I have a friend who has always had 2 large dogs (Labs and Goldens) and is involved with the Guide Dog Foundation--I can ask her if she knows any personal trainers you could hire to help. It's probably best to get professional help seeing as he's a rescue and you don't know what previous experiences he might have had.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Hi Colleen!

    Oh lol! Toddlerhood all over again! Hugs and much love you and everyone furry and human there!

    Colleen, ❤️, ABSOLUTELY get those French doors! Your house is lovely. Just lovely. I sm a lamp FIEND and i feel your pain!

    Put everything you love the most in storage til pup gets older, and go shopping! Utility shopping! big cotton blankets, big straw baskets! Cast iron indestructible lamps, citronella candles to defeat wet doggo fur-smell. I feel a change to Southwestern Chic may be your future in the coming year lol!

    Tie an irresistible toy to a fishin’ pole with VERY STRONG ROPE, sit down with your coffee and cast away!

    And when he gets to be just a little too much, close those French doors for time out, and adult human time!

    Here’s to a wonderful new life!

    ❤️


  • 2 years ago

    Diana not that I know of. We are in Massapequa but I will look into it, for socialization we are putting him in pawleywood to get him acclimated and friendly with other dogs. Thank you for your help !!

  • 2 years ago

    Elizabeth we skipped on the French doors. We gave a gate for now till he is less destructive. Good temporary fix for now :). Love the fishing pole idea!!

  • 2 years ago

    Diana I will definitely consider the trainer if that’s available.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Hey Colleen, my friend suggested calling the North Shore Animal League (516 883 7575) and/or Bideawee (866 262 8133)

  • 2 years ago

    Yep

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you for all the advice! So the gate is working and like the look as opposed to French doors which I’m happy now we steered away from. Apollo has mastered opening the gate - SMART dog!! We now have a double lock feature going on. Thanks for all the advice!

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    So glad to hear that Apollo is settling in and that the gate is working.

    But wow he IS some smart dog! My little Havanese won't go near a gate even if it's just propped up against a doorway--he's afraid of it! So many dogs, so many different personalities and types!

    Hope you are enjoying him!

  • 2 years ago

    Diana, he’s a lot! We have a lot of training to continue. I’m exhausted already. He’s an early riser!!

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    IMO, large dogs belong outdoors, especially a breed that loves cold temps and exercise, like yours does. It's cruel to keep a dog that size indoors. You need to find a home for the dog where he will be happy. Also, I think your husband has foisted an animal onto you that you don't want and can't handle. My late husband did the same type of thing to me because of his tender heart, so I fully understand. I think it's time to have a talk with your DH.

  • 2 years ago

    He has a tremendous outdoor backyard that he fully enjoys all day. We have built a pen in the garage. He spends most of the day outside! Thanks for the advice. And yes my husband does have a tender heart also but he is also trying to make this work by creating a good environment for him.