Software
Houzz Logo Print
linjie_peng

I don’t like this tray ceiling

2 years ago

About to purchase a house, everything is great but I just don’t like the bedroom ceiling, I love the plain boring ceiling better. Is it a wise idea to make it flat. My agent actually told me the previous owner spends $$ to upgrade the ceilings 😂

Comments (10)

  • 2 years ago

    I wouldn’t give one thought to how much money a previous owner spent on anything-if you want a flat ceiling go for it!

    Congratulations on what’s about to become YOUR new home :)

  • 2 years ago

    Agree ^ but if it were me, I would live in it for a while before i made any changes - if you like to sleep with a ceiling fan, those ceilings are helpful in recessing a nice low key fan so they don’t dominate the room with a lower ceiing

  • 2 years ago

    Congrats on your home! I agree with the suggestions to live with it for several months. Discovering things you love or hate about the room or house might surprise you. You might find something else you’d rather spend that ceiling money on.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I would leave it at least until you furnish the bedroom. A large chandelier in your style could look quite nice. Here's a Japandi style bedroom with tray ceiling and large chandelier... If you search online you'll find several tray ceilings in bedroom ideas.

    Congratulations on your new home!


  • 2 years ago

    I don't love tray ceilings either and didn't add any to the house we built, BUT I would not spend money on covering them up when buying an existing house. Spend the money on an eye catching large chandelier that complements the rest of the design.

  • 2 years ago

    I don't like it either and would have it filled in before the move to put the mess in the rear view mirror.

  • 2 years ago

    getting rid of that tray ceiling is not going to be cheap. make it an architectural feature. paint it a dark, sultry color that will coordinate with new bedding. and add a stunning light fixture you may be pleasantly surprised at the effect. IMO, its a complete waste of $$ to fill in

  • 2 years ago

    The current light fixture is deadly. I can't believe they spent a ton of money making a tray and then installed that. :-) Get a chandelier that fits your style and leave the ceiling alone. Since I don't know what your style is or what your bedroom furniture looks like I am not sure if painting the ceiling a dark color would be a good idea, but it is an idea. It would deemphasize the tray aspect. But I would change the wall color to something darker as well or else it would look like a black hole.

  • 2 years ago

    I wouldn't do anything before moving in and getting the room furnished to see how you feel about it. You may find there are other things in the house that you would rather spend your money on.

  • 2 years ago

    I wouldn't like it either but as others have suggested, I'd wait a few months to see how it works with what you have before deciding whether to paint it, fill it in or??? Once you're living with it, you might have additional ideas of what to do.

Sponsored
Whisler Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals