Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Living room chandelier

gtdj519
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

My electrician confirmed that we can install a chandelier without issues.

so trying to choose one. which do you think?

the coffee table is 52 length by 30 wide.

Comments (20)

• Jenny
    2 months ago

Those are beautiful choices. There is kind of a formula for the size of the chandelier, which needs you to supply the length, width and height of the room.

• J Mig
    2 months ago

Such a pretty color on your walls. Once you pick a chandelier, before you actually order it, make a mock up of how far it hangs down from your ceiling, and that will give you a really good idea of how it fits in your space and if you’re gonna bump your head while sitting at the coffee table, etc.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you both very much.

the walls are a soft blue color. We love it. thank you for noticing! colors get scewed so much on screen and never depict the true color. I cant tell you how many houzzers will comment “ you need color in the room” because it appears so often as gray. everything looks gray in pics!

yes, i will do a mock up hanging for sure to see how low; but no one ever sits at the coffee table. its really just used for decor, to place books, light candle. that is about it.

i previoulsy posted about size and it seems that no more than 30 wide ( if i did circular one) if i did a linear one, then as long as its less than 52 inches long ( which the 2 linear ones here are) i should be good. the drop down on any of these are adjustable, so that should be good too. i like them all, not sure which one may be best .

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 months ago

Not sure I am illustrating the exact size of the fixture.

Don't even consider the rectangular fixture for this room

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Why not consider a rectangle/ linear fixture?

it wouldn‘t be hung the way you mocked it up. it would run the other way; parallel to the length of the coffee table.

• computerklutz
    2 months ago

Love your choices! What is your blue wall color? Its lovely

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks. so glad another person sees the blue walls!!! its silver cloud BM.

also, I am in the process of finalizing art prints with an artist. i am waiting to see one other set to consider, but these are the pieces i most likely will be geting to go over each cabinet.

And this is my consideration for a mirror over the fireplace

• computerklutz
    2 months ago

Oh love the art and thanks for sharing the paint color. Now you have made me want to have a chandelier put in my living room

gtdj519 thanked computerklutz
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you so much! i say go for it!!

• Jilly
    2 months ago

Nice choices, gt! My vote is #1 because it reminds me of your entry ceiling wallpaper.

I like #3, too, but don’t like #2.

gtdj519 thanked Jilly
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks Jilly ! yes it does resemble thar.

really dont like 2?? what is it that you dont like about it? I like hearing different perspectives i think the capiz is so pretty; almost ethereal with it being translucent and flowy.

i like all 3, cant decide LOL

• Jilly
    2 months ago

I just feel it’s a bit too casual or beachy or something, just not the style of the room. But that’s not law, just my own opinion … it only matters what you like! :)

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    2 months ago

LOL… not the law. you’re funny.

i can see your perspective about capiz feeling casual. i too thought many capiz looked casual, but what i liked about the square one was the shape of the shells being a long straight shape and the polished nickel mount also makes it feel dressier to me.

i thought these other two fixtures were nice as well; as it has they both have polished nickel.

in the first one, the round shells are trimmed in polished nickel.

the second one is the same shell shape as the square one i posted, but this is the round version.

i think these touches make it feel a bit less casual to me. but again, its just me… lol

• Jilly
    2 months ago

Lovely!

And I meant to say earlier, love the art you’re looking at!

• tozmo1
    2 months ago

My thought is to wait until you finish the room with the art and other accessories. I took @BeverlyFLADeziner mockups and added the art and mirror. For my eye, the best one is the beaded chandelier #6. It has the lines of a very formal crystal chandelier but the beads give it the more casual look you mentioned you were seeking. 1 & 2, which are my favorite individually don't look so good to me in the room. The capiz is pretty but seems to become dense looking in this very breezy lovely space. My second choices are the more plain open 3 & 4. Seeing the chandelier with the other pieces really impacts the overall look so I'd wait and revisit the choices.

gtdj519 thanked tozmo1
  • jackowskib
    2 months ago

Oh boy, many beautiful lighting choices! I would for sure go with a round shape after seeing the aesthetic in the space, there's already enough rectangle shapes going on in the space. I wouldn't get hung up on the size of the coffee table vs light size since the light is based on entire space balance and should have more presence, and coffee tables come and go, plus furniture gets rearranged from time to time..... lol

gtdj519 thanked jackowskib
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    2 months ago

All good points to consider about shapes, and waiting until art is installed before deciding on a fixture.

thank you for the additional mock ups tozmo1. they look nice and gives an idea of the overall look- very helpful!

im actually not looking for a casual look. youre right, the beads do look casual, but its not the look im going for. what i had liked about the capiz options were that they were paired with brushed nickel and that seemed to elevate the look for me (just my opinion) . thet look a little dressier/ more formal to me.

i am not crazy about the very plain ones like 3 and 4. i feel like they just fade into the room. if i have to pay the electrician fees, make holes in the wall etc, i want the chandelier to make a statement and be noticed 😂

you really dint like 1 and 2 in the riom? i think they look pretty good in the mock up

• tozmo1
    2 months ago

It could just be the mockup but 1 & 2 look too tight to the ceiling because of the shape with a lot of mass at the top. It seems like they're sort of bunched up. I understand the desire to do something that makes a statement if you're going to go through the effort. What about a crystal one that follows the same lines as the beaded one? It seems to have such elegant lines compared to 1 or 2. The room has an elegant, light airy feel. 1 and 2 seem a little bulky but it could just be the pictures. The more traditional crystal shape is small at the top, larger at the bottom. Could just be my preference for the shape generally, too. I like the idea of doing something in this lovely room.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you tozmo1.

i think the foxture you posted is pretty, but to me it feels very formal and something i would tend to use over an eating area/ DR.

the other issue with that type of shape is that they tend to be longer in height. they really need a longer chain/ rod to hang properly and look nice. my electriican showed me pics of a fixture that was meant for a long chain/rod and the client insisted they use it despite the fact the chain had to be significantly shortened. it didnt look good, as it wasnt meant to be hung that high and with so little chain.

the fixture is going in my LR and i have standard 8 foot ceilings. my electrician recommended a fixture that is no more than 20 inches in height.

i dont think the mock ups truly represent how it will really look; its really just to give an idea of how things will somewhat look in the space. i appreciate everyone doing the mock ups as they really do help me so much!! they are great visuals!!

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

been searching for options and csme across this fixture at lighting store. it looked gorgeous in person. they are petsl shaped glass pieces hanging

it is semi flush , so the overall height of 21.50 is good for my space. the width/ circumference is 24. is that too small over the 30 wide coffee table? i was hoping to find a 27-30 wide fixture in a style i like, but havent come across any yet. thoughts on sizing ?