Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_923010948

Closing on a builder spec house. Bland kitchen.. Design help!

Jenifer Broughton
last month
last modified: last month

We are buying a builder spec home. The kitchen is already designed. White shaker type cabinets.

There are a lot of cabinets. We are swapping out the electric stove and getting the gas.

We are having the granite 'lip' removed and adding a riva mist glass tile backsplash, but that's about it. It's pretty bland. How can I make this kitchen look more custom?

It's not the best photo, but this is what I'm working with.

The light pendant is actually hanging where the table will be.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

I've added two photos from Houzz that I do like.

Here is the actual counter, cabinet colors along with the backsplash on the upper left.

I'd like to spend less than $5k to do some updates.

Here are some inspirational kitchens I like.

Woodinville Retreat · More Info

Classic Coastal Colonial Renovation - the Ultimate Island · More Info

Comments (81)

• jodyrah
    last month

I replaced an electric range with an Wolf induction range when we bought our home. It had an over the range microwave with “vent”. Unless have a proper vent hood, you will not remove cooking odors. Whenever you boil water, the steam will condense beneath the microwave and adjacent cabinet, dripping everywhere.

Jenifer Broughton thanked jodyrah
  • Mindy Binder
    last month

I dislike OTR microwaves as much as the next person but why is there an assumption it doesn’t vet to the outside? We replaced two and they both vented to the outside.

Good luck OP, definitely live with it a while and decide what would make the most difference for YOU! There are a great wealth of advice and pro experience on this site but it’s your kitchen and only you know what is most important for you and that’s where you get the most bang for your buck.

Jenifer Broughton thanked Mindy Binder
  • Katie B.
    last month

Nothing beats a new home- clean slate. It’s beautiful!
    After 3 builder basic homes and always wanting “better” than what was there, I have learned a few things and calmed down on the topic. Learn from me and save yourself some grief. Even if you do nothing else, keep it clean and decluttered. I think we are attracted to the perfect, clean, uncluttered staging of photos more than the spaces themselves. Sometimes we don’t even know what we like when it comes down to it. I always thought I had to trim out and build up every inch of my home for it to appear nicer. When in reality what I actually love is minimal kitchens with no or very few uppers and little trim and just a few high end touches (artisan and handmade lighting, cabinet hardware, tiles). Now, I would definitely put a nice range hood in this kitchen. You could wrap your island in shiplap (it doesn’t need to be “farmhouse;” there are so many styles now). Nice lighting and cabinet hardware. Companies like Lamps Plus have complimentary lighting designers. My BEST advice is to get on Pinterest and search endlessly for kitchens resembling yours. There WILL be a kitchen just like yours that you love, and you might need to do very little or nothing at all.

Jenifer Broughton thanked Katie B.
  • ladybug A 9a Houston area
    last month

I had an OTR microwace that vented outside as well. Probably not as efficient, but it depends on your style of cooking.

Jenifer Broughton thanked ladybug A 9a Houston area
  • Katie B.
    last month

Here’s some inspiration
    The last photo is basically your kitchen finishes with some nice decor.

• Monique
    last month

I would sprnd money on replacing that gray floor before I touched the kitchen.

Jenifer Broughton thanked Monique
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Two things a bit incongruous

"

I'd like to spend less than $5k to do some updates. "

"We definitely could have afforded a much more expensive home.. I feel there is equity to be built upon here with the right cost efficient ideas"

Reality:

Count the doors and drawer for hardware. The 4.00 Home Depot type or the Top Knobs 9.00 dollar type?

Tile - you bought it? What's that and add a day of install labor, and grouting the next day. Can't be done on same day

You have stools? Put them in there.

Pendants over island:

The 149.00 variety? Or more? You won't fit more than two, and factor in the electrician and any necessary ceiling repair for location change.

Spend a month of nights cooking - you will find you need more recessed which are minimal and oddly placed here, or under the cabinet lighting to supplement what is there.

The 5 k? It probably isn't going make a miracle here, unless this locale is one with very inexpensive labor.

Jenifer Broughton thanked JAN MOYER
  • Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks everyone for your inspiration. To Jan, it appears no matter what I say, you are providing negative feedback. I appreciate that maybe you are trying to play devels advocate, but I am just looking for discussion on positive changes, updates I can consider. Also, I am pretty handy myself. I appreciate your opinions, but lets stay on the positive side.

• AnnKH
    last month

Jenifer, I LOVE the woods in your back yard!

Hubby and I bought a spec house, and lived happily there for 32 years. Over time we replaced carpet with hardwood, changed out virtually every light fixture, painted every room (a few more than once), and replaced the bathroom vanities. After 19 years (and raising 2 kids there), we remodeled the kitchen. Not one of those things happened in the first year - partly because we were house poor, partly because we were concentrating on planting trees and grass.

Two years ago, we moved, and bought a house built in 1995. The very first thing I did - before we moved in - was add pullouts to most of the lower cabinets. Not as good as actual drawers, but MUCH better than lower cabinets. I liked that the door attached to the bottom pullout, so it functions as a drawer (one motion to open). I moved the knobs to the center of each door front after these photos were taken.

Jenifer Broughton thanked AnnKH
  • drblount10
    last month

Hi Jenifer, congrats on the new home! With your inspo pics, color and light can make a big difference in the kitchen area. Looking at your second photo, go for all white except for the counter--white backsplash, even if it is subway tile or paint, white wall color and /or trim to fill in the space above the cabinets, and undercabinet lighting. Cabinet hardware adds bling.

This will give you a bright white kitchen area that is still budget friendly. You can move in and accessorize as you go.

Classic Coastal Colonial Renovation - the Ultimate Island · More Info

Jenifer Broughton thanked drblount10
  • RedRyder
    last month

The inspiration photos have a lot more light than your house will have. Ask the builder for double the recessed lights now, pay whatever it will be. THEN you can assess your kitchen.

I agree with @drblount10 - an interesting white backsplash can be gorgeous. Again, look at the inspiration photos. Maybe they are Zellige? They look “shimmery” which adds to the elegance. But those kitchens are a lot of white and a lot of light.

Fill in the empty area over the cabinets with crown molding and some filler. Check other photos to find exactly what you want.

Glass inserts in a few doors is nice IF the insides are pretty. Otherwise, you have to paint them first, and then store your prettiest bowls there.

The pullouts posted by AnnKH will make your life nicer. Worth the investment.

Once you move in you can change the microwave to a pretty hood. I would wait till you live there because there are SO MANY styles, you need to really figure out which one would work. Bravo to getting gas instead electric.

Jenifer Broughton thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Realism, is not negativity. A budget of five k is incongruous with creating "upscale" or "equity" from very basic. It is incongruous with saying you're "very comfortable, could have afforded more" in a home.

Spending five k on all the things I and others have mentioned may certainly help you reduce what you perceive as bland. Adding decoration to just about anything will do that.

Ambient lighting is first, ( more recessed ) Pendants over the island, or no other effort will show.

Hardware, the stools, etc.

But 5 k does not go far these days, labor considered.

Filling in a ceiling gap, adding a hood, relocating a microwave, getting the tile installed, paying the electrician, possible repair and of the ceiling, perhaps some doors changed to glass doors.

Maybe the number isn't 3 k to 5 k that gets you what you're wanting. Is it 10k? Something in between, or more? It isn't 3k or 5k for what you really w.a.n.t. If that amount ends with you being thrilled? Great, and nothing wrong with being thrilled.

Jenifer Broughton thanked JAN MOYER
  • chicagoans
    last month

Congrats on your new home! I’d live with it for a few months and then start by investing in changes you feel would make it more functional. For example, your lowers look like cabinets rather than drawers. If they don’t have roll out shelves I’d start there.

Jenifer Broughton thanked chicagoans
  • Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    last month

The lower cabinets, along with the island do have roll out shelves. That’s a plus

• ptreckel
    last month

A microwave drawer can range from $1200-$3000k. Then a range hood…. Then cabinet modifications to accommodate both. It will add up quickly. Especially if you start replacing lower cabinets with drawers. You will exceed $5000k quickly. Cosmetic, decorative changes are always less expensive.

Jenifer Broughton thanked ptreckel
  • Jenny
    last month

I like you recently purchased a home that was significantly less than what we could have spent. It doesn't matter why, but it's what made sense to us. I also don't have super expensive taste - or rather I do, but I don't indulge it very often.

I am wrapping up a kitchen renovation so I've been doing a lot of shopping. I would suggest you consider higher quality knobs (not big box) because the quality really shows. Then decide on island lighting that also gives the more sophisticated look you desire. Make it a focal point, since you don't have a 48" range hogging the spotlight. Put in a lovely hood if desired and your kitchen will definitely look elevated over its simple appearance now.

Jenifer Broughton thanked Jenny
  • Katie B.
    last month

I’m in process on a remodel of a 1980s original place. 80s builder basic. It needed an electrical and plumbing overhaul, but now we are doing the fun stuff. We ended up keeping most of the cabinetry because it was solid wood. Some we are restaining. Some we are keeping in all of its vintage glory. We kept a lot of the floor tile too because it was neutral and nice craftsmanship. We spent $$$$ on cabinet hardware, tile for the fireplace, and lighting…but today I bought $15 passage door handles because well, I liked them. We also splurged on a nice stove and custom hood. As I was ordering knobs from Perigold and door knobs from Lowe’s today (kind of a dichotomy) I realized it doesn’t take much to create a luxury feel in any project.

So fun- can’t wait to hear what you decide to do here.

• drblount10
    last month

Two pendants are good over your island. I found vintage milk glass because it allows light through the top but you are not looking at bare bulbs.

Northern NH Home · More Info

Farmhouse Kitchen · More Info

Nashville Farmhouse · More Info

• Ruth
    last month

Too many bland white uppers. Switch out some of the doors for glass doors. Add crown molding to all.

Jenifer Broughton thanked Ruth
  • eld6161
    last month

Yes to building a thick crown molding that goes to the ceiling if possible.

How many inches is it from top of cabinet to ceiling?

And this idea but up to the ceiling

Jenifer Broughton thanked eld6161
  • RedRyder
    last month

Rjuventation has GORGEOUS lighting. Here is the link to their pendants.

https://www.rejuvenation.com/shop/lighting/pendants/

I like the examples posted by @drblount10.

• Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    last month

Great ideas are coming in! Thank you everyone!

I do plan to add crown molding to the top! I will also add hardware to the cabinets and replacing the microwave with a hood at some point. I do like the idea of adding glass to a few doors as well. Pendants over the island is also on my list!

We also changed the backsplash tile to a subway tile.

• Tish
    last month

5K is a new color on the walls and a couple of bar stools. You do not get the upscale kitchen that you want without spending 10x -20x that amount. But an upscale kitchen in a downscale house, in a downscale neighborhood, is a big missmatch. At it’s worse, it is burning retirement money that for negative return on the changes. At it’s best, it makes you happy to use the kitchen every day, for a cost of $15 a day for the next 10 years. Double that for a 100K change.

• Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    last month

I can actually spend what i like in the kitchen. I never mentioned ”retirement” or asked anyone their opinion on ”what I am or should be burning through” financially. Frankly, Tish, that should not be your concern.

The purpose of this post was to ask others for ideas and inspiration.

This is the exact problem with social media type platforms, apps etc.

There is a difference between constructive criticism and someone just being distasteful and rude.

Have a good day Tish. I hope your weekend is beautiful.

• Tish
    last month

You are the one who put in the budgetary restriction, and then espoused grand changes directly at odds with that miniscule amount. Perhaps you yourself are completely at odds with the life course ahead, which is why you set such a miserly amount for changes.

You either want to spend the money it takes to get what you want, or you don’t. Make up your mind. You are either in with the existing kitchen, or completely out with the existing kitchen.

You can’t even get Christopher Peacock’s cabinet pulls for that kitchen with 5K. Much less his custom designed everything else.

• HU-785934951
    last month

5K maybe could cover some pendants?

Jenifer Broughton thanked HU-785934951
  • Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks Tish. I did add the number, as someone asked what I would “like” to spend so they could provide ideas on what that amount would do.

Maybe we are in two different worlds. I could care less about “Christopher Peacock” cabinet pulls. I care about cabinet pulls I like for what I want to spend, not the brand name or whoelse has it or what the trend is.

Again, thanks for you input. Have a beautiful weekend.

• Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks bry911. Backsplash is already paid for just waiting to be installed :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

"The purpose of this post was to ask others for ideas and inspiration. "

To get a more "upscale look" and then defined as what can you do "with 3 k to 5k"

Everyone has a different idea of what "upscale" should entail. What it could entail.

Don't get miffed when someone has a different definition of that than you do.

Don't mix your message with I could "have afforded a lot more house"......." I am very comfortable" because it confuses those attempting to help you.

It's the internet, and everyone will read your words differently. You decide what is important to you..

Just know there really are no miracles on 3k or 5k. There is better. There is less "bland". There is pleasing and absolutely great for YOU and you're happy with the result. That's all that matters.

• Louie
    last month

If you prefer the cost of builder grade homes, it is no surprise that they come with builder grade kitchens. If you are going to preach the choice of buying less than, maybe you need to look in the mirror again before you next look at that kitchen .

• bry911
    last month

You know Verbo just loves to make three or four different accounts to post on the same thread…

Jenifer Broughton thanked bry911
  • rebunky
    last month

Besides the backsplash and cabinet hardware, the only other thing I would do to the kitchen at this point is ask the builder to add a simple crown molding to the upper cabinets. Whenever I see no crown on the uppers, it looks unfinished to me.

Then move in and live with a while. It won’t look blah once you add your stuff and decorate with some color. Enjoy your new home!

Jenifer Broughton thanked rebunky
  • jo mu
    last month

I would get an electrician to add pendant lights over the island get some show stopper pendants lots of affordable options online might take a while to come in

Add a soffit and crown molding to the ceiling to make the cabinets look more lux

Jenifer Broughton thanked jo mu
  • jo mu
    last month

Id remove the microwave and cabinets and get a nice hood

Jenifer Broughton thanked jo mu
  • drblount10
    last month

Good morning! Any updates?

• Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    last month

We move in 4/5 then I will share progress :)

• chispa
    last month

Just a comment about budget, specially when getting ideas from Houzz photos ... here are the pendants suggested by someone several posts up, who posted 3 kitchen photos and this was the bottom one.

I've seen these pendants in person, they are really nice and you'll need $3,238 for a pair, before tax!

Jenifer Broughton thanked chispa
  • RedRyder
    last month

Let us know when you’re all moved in and how that kitchen feels. Being in the space with your stuff will definitely make it less “boring white”. (I like white kitchens.)

• Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks RedRyder! I like white as well. First order of buusness will be to find cabinet pulls!

Our ”stuff” gets delivered on Monday…. that will be a fun process lol! I will keep this thread updated :) So happy that ppl are still interested!

• housegal200
    last month

As everyone suggests, move in first so you get a feeling for the space. You can warm up the kitchen by adding well chosen, functional hand crafted, antique, or wood elements-- trays, baskets, a colorful kitchen rug, and maybe a bright Le Creuset pot on the gas stove, or a beautiful fruit bowl on the island. Add a small antique counter table lamp in one of the corners along with undercabinet lighting.

Later on, you could front a couple of the cabinets in glass or remove the ones by the window and put an art work there or open shelves with beautiful dishes or pottery you already own.

I like these gold and wood elementsm (a couple open shelve,s wicker stools) great pendants. . It's a shame your builder picked that gray-type trendy flooring which is on the cool side.

2023 · More Info

Contemporary Country - Kitchen and breakfast nook · More Info

Kitchen rug, wood cutting board, great pottery on open shelves that open up the kitchen window since you already have a lot of cabinets.

Brookhaven · More Info

Painted island with wonderful pendants:

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Beautiful wood bowls and vase of flowers, nice wood stools.

Jenifer Broughton thanked housegal200
  • Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

We have moved in! Bitter sweet as my father in law just passed away recently. I will be adding more photos once we get unpacked and settled.

• Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    5 days ago

Ill share this room to but its still work in progress

• auntthelma
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

congratulations on your new home! When I look at your inspiration picture, I immediately see pendant lights and cool bar stools. The bar stools would be my first update. Then, shop for pendant lights to upscale the bar.

Jenifer Broughton thanked auntthelma
  • mvcanada
    4 days ago

Small projects that you could do yourself to add colour and texture to the room would where I would start.

I'd add some inexpensive trim/molding to the island to give it some character and paint the island. Add trim to kitchen island

Then I'd paint that same colour on the pantry doors. Leave the trim around the doors white, just colour on the doors. Here is an example with a gorgeous bright colour.

Painted closet doors

Some nice hardware for the cabinets. That doesn't have to be expensive. You can buy bulk packages of handles and knobs either online or from Lowe's or Home Depot etc.

A colourful rug would be nice - maybe a matching pair - one for the long wall where the stove is and another in front of the patio door.

As you have more ideas and time/money in your budget - I'd absolutely switch out the microwave range hood for a chimney style hood. You seem to have lots of counter space and even maybe space in your pantry for a counter style microwave - a much cheaper option than the drawer style (although I think the drawer style is really genius design I've also read some complaints about some models - you'd need to do your homework on that choice).

Maybe change the paint colour on the walls as well when you've settled on your colour scheme.

But adding some nice stools (you mentioned you have some), some wooden cutting boards and colourful bowls on the counters. Maybe get some small appliances in colours - Kitchenaid, Delonghi, Smeg - all of those brands and others have some nice coloured kettles and toasters, blenders etc. The type of thing you wouldn't mind having on your counters all the time.

If you decide to put some glass in some of the upper doors, you can paint the interiors a contrasting colour or you can use wallpaper, or grasscloth, put it on panels and a spot of hot glue would hold that against the back of the cupboard. This could also add some colour/texture and would make the inside of the cupboards a pretty backdrop for your favourite items to display.

Paint inside of cabinets in contrasting colour

If there is a good budget, I'd choose a different counter TBH - that busy counter with dark colours is going to limit some of the other choices for backsplash and paint colours etc. You may have to go with it for now but maybe down the road the counters could be swapped out. And if the current counters can be removed without too much damage, you might be able to salvage them for resale. A less busy counter could then allow for a statement backsplash tile.

Enjoy your new home and take your time figuring out what needs to be a priority and what is a down the road project. Build ideas from Houzz or Pinterest for inspiration. Then when you're ready to tackle projects you'll have good ideas for how to proceed.

Jenifer Broughton thanked mvcanada
  • Boxerpal
    4 days ago

Sorry to hear about your father in law....

Glad you got into your home and can start creating your beautiful space. Enjoy the process despite the mourning. Hoping you can find a beautiful family photo with your FIL in it to have some place special in your new place.

Congratulations on your new home!

Jenifer Broughton thanked Boxerpal
  • Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Thank you for the kind thoughts boxerpal!

• Boxerpal
    4 days ago

After re-reading the comments....

I just wanted to add that in our last kitchen reno. We had a carpenter come in years later and put in new crown molding. We didn't like what came with the original "builder" house and so decided to update and change it over time. It was a minor cost in the big picture of things and thankful we did it. We also did some electrical and even changed our MW and put in a hood with a wonderful gas range. Things can change over time. After you use the space you might discover you want this or that or remove this or that... Focus on the good!

Enjoy your new home and make some fabulous memories with the people you love.

Jenifer Broughton thanked Boxerpal
  • Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Thanks Boxerpal! i do plan to make some of those exact changes in due time:) one day at a time! I will post more pics as I make changes.

I appreciate all the comments and ideas!!

• drblount10
    4 days ago

Also very sorry for your family's loss.

• Jenifer Broughton
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Thank you drblount10!