Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eboni_lucas

entry way ideas

Eboni Lucas
16 days ago

Looking for modern upscale look for my entry way, a table and hanging storage for wraps )there is no closet) I want the entry way to say sometimes when you enter..

Comments (17)

• Jenny
    16 days ago

It looks like your stairway turns at the bottom. What is between the stairs and the front door on that side? The other side looks cramped for any hanging storage.

• shirlpp
    16 days ago

I assume you'd want closed storage for an upscale look.

• kandrewspa
    16 days ago

Do you customarily always enter and exit through the front door? What you're talking about is something that is usually done by the back door. Achieving an upscale look is going to be challenging. What is the depth of the space you have to work with? 15-18"? If you want something more elegant than cubbies you should look into built-in cabinets with doors so you can hide the mess.

• Eboni Lucas
    Original Author
    16 days ago

We do use the front entrance, more so for guest, there is a another room to go in on the side of the stairs, the hall is about 15 feet
    The items that are there are going away I was thinking of a vertical coat rack. Console with mirror and some decor to tie it together… instead of what’s there now

• shirlpp
    16 days ago

• Boxerpal
    15 days ago

Is there any space under the stairs... you could do this

Brooklyn Townhouse · More Info

My Houzz: A Basketball Court, a Rooftop Kitchen and More in Manhattan · More Info

Coat & shoe storage in entrance hallway · More Info

Paint is also a great tool to add some fun to the space

Cottage · More Info

• Paul F.
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

A mouse wouldn't even need to bend down to come under that door. Get a door sweep asap. Even an avocado rolled under there.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

Where is the garage entry, if there is one? that is never going to be a good spot for coats and shoes

• ShadyWillowFarm
    15 days ago

Do you have a garage entry, or can you use the back door? You may need to clean out your garage or train a new habit, but you’ll never keep the front entry looking good with kids and all the stuff kids bring in regularly.

• Eboni Lucas
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Yes there is garage entry, that’s the plan!

• loftissm
    15 days ago

A nice shallow table with mirror or art above it would be pretty, but it would need to be at the second location from the door ( after the opening to the other room) or else the door will swing open onto it and hit it. I would go with a hall or sofa table on tall legs (not a table/cabinet style is chunkier and that goes to the floor) to keep it from feeling too bulky, and put a lamp and maybe a decorative object or potted orchid on it. Good idea to move the family drop zone to the back entrance! It will be much better. Skip the hall tree if you don’t want items collecting there.

• Cara Fidler
    15 days ago

Hi. I would get rid of all that clutter on those shelves. I would either put some decorative ornaments on those shelves, or replace those shelves with a console table and hang a round mirror above it. I would add a large artificial tree or other large plant in the hallway. Possibly a runner and some art on the walls of the hallway.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago

Put the skinny console table where all that mess is and then look for something fun for the wall thta has dsome coat hooks the table could even just be a shelf for keys since this will now become the guest entry . I do not like coats hung where you can see them all the time but just for guests get something that is a pice of art the rest of the time. This is kind of fun. Maybe paint tht wall some really nice color that works with your LR since your entry is the first thing you see. I would also get a much nicer light that woks better with this being the first thing seen in your home

• Maureen
    15 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Before deciding..,.there will be a fine line in achieving a modern upscale impression vs functionality. Consider what will actually happen, then plan accordingly family and guest wise.

Once you add any kind of storage in hall (especially hooks) will there be a chance it will turn into a drop off zone anyway. How the side entrance is configured and its proximity are key. We take guests’ jackets, as there is never enough room in our hall closet, and the family members just get used quickly to heading to the ”mud room“ area.

IF…you decide the above is feasible, use the wall by door for a bench (where guests’ shoes/boots can be placed) and in the bump out, add a console/lamp/art. Don’t know your style, but hope the ideas help.

• apple_pie_order
    15 days ago

Try out your idea: move all the stuff and shoes to the back entry. Wait a month. If shoes and stuff have reappeared in the front hall, you will need closed-door storage.

• Eboni Lucas
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thanks guys! These ideas are exactly what Pinterest helped me to decide, I’ve ordered my table and am looking for a mirror and nice accents will post here when I’m done in about a week!

• Eboni Lucas
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@maureen that is my style!!! Thanks