Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_288380783

How to approach HOA re DIY pergola

2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Im retired in Ocala Florida and want to install a simple free standing 10 x 10 diy pergola kit. I want to maximize the chances my HOA will let me do the work myself (I cant afford to hire anyone), assuming they approve the project at all. Anyone have experience dealing with an HOA for this? I imagine having good drawings would help, confirming I will pull a permit, follow all building codes, and getting everything inspected, though I'm not sure how to do any of these. I've tried to figure out what the fl building codes have to say about pergolas, without success. Since my home sits on sandy soil and there is no frostline I would dig 4 holes about 2 ft deep and a foot in diameter, set a Solo tube in it and fill with concrete with an embedded anchor on top. The heavy duty brackets accept 4x4 beams which are secured with screws. The beams would be pressure treated or cedar if I can afford it. I mean it's a very simple project and should not cost thousands of dollars. I just need to somehow convince my HOA to let me do it myself.

Comments (4)