Software
Houzz Logo Print
revdebjarv

A Mirror Trifle?

2 years ago



Finishing a primary bathroom remodel. Can't believe I went for the fancy medicine cabinets, but the idea of a built-in magnifying mirror on the inside seduced me. Problem: I am barely 5'2", my husband is 6'4". The mirror is PERFECT for him. I will never be able to use that magnifying mirror without a step stool; nor will I ever be able to reach the top shelves and right now I use only 1/3 of the mirror. I feel so stupid. It was a bear for my contractor to get these things in. If I ask him to move them down 2 inches I'm afraid he'll stroke out. Plus it might just look too low. Question: would it be weird/stupid/insane to ask him to move just mine (on the right) down? We would like to live here until we DIE and so have put in a curbless shower, etc Or should I just buck up?

Comments (32)

  • 2 years ago

    I’m sure you’re paying him enough! If it’s too low for you I say ask him to change it.

    revdebjarv thanked lynmonahan
  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Get a magnifying mirror that sits on the counter or is wall mounted depending on how much counter space you have and leave the mirrors where they are .

    revdebjarv thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 2 years ago

    Thank you, Patricia. The bigger issue is that the mirror is so high, I use only 1/3 of it. What if we moved down just my mirror (on the right). Any chance it could look modern asymetrical-oh-so-bold?

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Moving just one mirror down will not look good. The whole setup is symmetrical and it will just look like a mistake.

    I think if 2" will make a difference to you, then move them. It probably won't be a problem for your tall hubs.

    revdebjarv thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 2 years ago

    Move them both. It's your contractor's error for putting it the mirrors so high. In fact, they will look better lower.

    revdebjarv thanked Yvonne Martin
  • 2 years ago

    You can move them down two inches. You'll have to move the light, too. Will look like this.


    revdebjarv thanked houssaon
  • 2 years ago

    I would move them down as low as you need to.

  • 2 years ago

    Lower it to make you happy and the mirror useful to you. All these other recommendations are based on standard placement. One: you can’t see yourself. Two: you are not planning to sell anytime soon. Three: how many parties do you plan to hold in the bathroom? None? Then only you and your husband will see it! So often “pros” think you live in a museum and are waiting for Architectural Digest photo shot.

  • 2 years ago

    Such a good point! Bathroom parties are so yesterday anyway! I will take a deep breath and ask him to lower them. Just two inches will allow me to reach the top shelf. Right now I can't even touch the top shelf, let alone actually use it. Thank you so much.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Btw it’s a very pretty bathroom!

    revdebjarv thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I think a wall-mounted magnifying mirror is a better solution.



    master bath · More Info


    Contemporary Bathroom · More Info


    A swing-arm version will be the best option for the easiest adustment to allow you to see yourself.

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you, Diana. I will post pix of the finished result. I talked with contractor about moving mirrors. They would have to move the plumbing and the electrical behind it. After seeing pix of Ukraine this morning, I decided I can easily live with a too-high mirror.

  • 2 years ago

    Note: a wall-mounted magnifying mirror doesn't help her reach the upper shelf.

    revdebjarv thanked Mrs. S
  • 2 years ago

    So you use the bottom shelves of both medicine chests and your husband uses the top shelves. Frequently used items stored above the sink you use, the rest on your husband’s side. One half of problem solved!

    revdebjarv thanked flopsycat1
  • 2 years ago

    Yes! Great idea! Or I'll put all the wrinkle cream that doesn't work on the top shelf.


  • 2 years ago

    All of this seems small now that we opened the toilet and it is broken. SO close to being done too. Dang!

  • 2 years ago

    Your medicine cabinets are too short and placed too high above the vanity. Unfortunately it is a common error people make.


    Here are mine in my current bathroom. 48" tall and placed 7.5" from the counter surface.


    In a kids bathroom in my previous house. This one was about 6" off the counter.


  • 2 years ago

    Wow, chispa, those look terrific. I think my cabinets are plenty tall, just placed a few inches too high. I think I will have to live with it. The thought of ripping out the wall and redoing the plumbing and electric sounds horrible.

  • 2 years ago

    Sorry to hear about your broken toilet - that also happened to us, both our sink and bathtub arrived broken - it was such a time delay and SO wasteful

    revdebjarv thanked la_la Girl
  • 2 years ago

    @revdebjarv, thanks. I was lucky my parents had done several remodeling projects when I was in my teens/college years, so I got to learn from their experiences and mistakes! Came in very handy when I started tackling my own projects.

    revdebjarv thanked chispa
  • 2 years ago

    I have a step stool built into the toe kick plate below the cabinet in my kitchen and it’s great. I don’t even have to bend down…works by just pushing it in with my foot. I got it as an add on when I had my cabinets installed. Perhaps something like that would work for you.

    revdebjarv thanked HU-954817888
  • PRO
    2 years ago

    They are hung too high. Have you asked the contractor yet? Clearly there is no electrical or plumbing in the way so except for some drywall patching it should t be much hassle.

  • 2 years ago

    I talked to my contractor who explained that there IS plumbing and electrical in the wall right below the mirrors. I will ask him again tomorrow. We are so close to being done and yet . . . it would be so great to have them moved down just a couple inches.


  • 2 years ago

    Olychick, thank you for the step stool idea. That is a really pretty one. I will think seriously about that.

  • 2 years ago

    I have to admit, I too was thinking that you and hubby are the only ones who will see the mirrors and it‘s your house, so of course if you can only lower one of them, lower it! I would. For sure!! But with additional info, it seems like that is not possible with the electrical and plumbing that is currently set up. Get some second opinions on all of this, though - because I believe your contractor hung these too high.


    Do you have an area where you could put an old school Hollywood type makeup mirror? Amazon has a bunch of them. I need to get one myself. And you could get a vanity table and chair. Or there might be room on the bathroom counter and if necessary you could use a folding chair, instead. Much nicer than standing at the bathroom mirror, anyway.

  • 2 years ago

    Move it down two inches. It will be fine and your contractor will understand.

  • 2 years ago

    I would leave as is but a magnifying wall mirror with articulated arm. I loved one at a Resort in Hawaii and bought one for our guest bath. I love it and wish I could have one in my main bathroom. I can post photo if you want….

    revdebjarv thanked Missy Bee
  • 2 years ago

    The simplest solution would be for you to use the lower shelves of both mirrors and your husband to use the top shelves of both mirrors. Add a separate magnifying mirror and you’re good to go!

    revdebjarv thanked valjohn10
  • 2 years ago



    Okay, one of my contractors is explaining that to lower the mirrors, they would have to take out everything--countertops and cabinets--to move the plumbing and electrical. I so much appreciate everyone's comments, so word to the unwise who don't consider this: Ask your contractor to show you the MIRROR (not just the cut out) and see exactly where you want it.


    I like @Olychick's suggestion of getting the very cool step-stool. I tend to take situations like this and ask, "How can I apply this to life in general?" A: Communication is key and when you can't get what you want, stop wanting it and then you'll stop suffering. I know this is a house website and I just love all the information, experience and knowledge here. I will post a pic of the finished bathroom because it will be very cool. And yes, husband has agreed to be the mirror cleaner!

  • 2 years ago

    Now, THAT's a contractor I'd hire...or maybe that's hubby? lol

    The stool will help you reach the corner shelves, too!

    I bought one exactly like the stool I posted but it has a rubber grippy top. I didn't find it in a quick Amazon search, but I'm sure it's there. I tried to buy one off etsy so as to avoid using Az, but they all were too heavy/tall. I just needed a couple inches of height.

    revdebjarv thanked Olychick
  • 2 years ago

    Buy a free standing magnifying mirror with a light in it and place it between the two sinks for your use. I am 4’ 11” tall and use one in my remodeled bathroom. I also place ALL my items on the bottom shelf of the medicine chest, storing everything else in the vanity drawers. I wouldn’t want to stub my toes on a bench in front of my sink. (Trust me, I would!). Unless it could be pulled out…. I feel your “pain” with being soooooo close! My custom manufactured Kohler Kathryn console sink arrived…with a crack in the corner! Back to the foundry it went…And I waited another month for the new one to be delivered. Was it worth it in the end? Yes. Good luck!

    revdebjarv thanked ptreckel