Software
Houzz Logo Print
jennyabe

Can I have wood floors all the way to my fireplace wall?

13 years ago
I am building a new-construction custom home, and I wanted to have wood floors all the way up to the wall where my fireplace will be.
I'm not a big fan of the tile/stone on the floor in front of the fireplace.

I've seen pictures on Houzz where fireplaces like this exist, and they're pretty low to the ground. But I read that the International Building Code (which my city adheres to), prevents any combustible materials within 12" of the fireplace if they project outwards.

Does this count for floors also? I would think that a wood floor, even if its 20" below could still catch fire due to gravity, but I don't know much about physics.

Does anyone know about the restrictions of having wood floors all the way up to your fireplace wall without tiles/stones on the ground below the fireplace?

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments (24)

  • 13 years ago
    Thank you @IronWood Builders.
    Our fireplace will be a gas fireplace, but I'm not sure what the difference between a chimney and just a vent is. Our fireplace has an extension all the way up through the roof... I call that a chimey, but are you saying it could be just a vent? I'll have to ask my builder what they plan to install.

    So if it is a gas fireplace with just a vent, then I can put wood all the way up to the fireplace. But if its a gas-fireplace with a chimney, than I have to abide by the hearth rules you've describe?

    Thanks again, I really appreciate your expertise.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The proximity to combustible surfaces for gas fireplace/appliances is determined by the manufacturer, not the code bodies. Litigation as legislation. With fireplaces, a chimney is a masonry flue, a vent is sheet metal. Gas fireplaces can often vent through the sidewall. You need to know the make, model and installation specifications for your gas unit to know the possibility of zero hearth. Some manufacturers use the Code as specification to keep from being singled out for lawsuits. Ask your builder to walk you through the requirements of the unit you have selected. If the selection will not allow your desired installation, either keep looking or accede to the pressure of the norm (bleahh).
    jennyabe thanked Ironwood Builders
  • 13 years ago
    Don't forget that the fireplace will throw a lot of heat even if it is gas. The heat will eventually damage the wood finish. Tile or stone will not be affected by the heat.
    jennyabe thanked Kathleen McDougall
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you both, this helps a lot
  • 10 years ago

    jennyabe, Have you thought of matching the wood grain tiles to your wood floor?? There are tons of designs and they look very realistic, we are considering using them in our entire living room. As inviting as wood floors without the worry about care. Vacuum and mop and they are good as new! Just a thought....

  • 10 years ago

    Hi I know this is an old thread, however I need advice on a similar problem. We have asked our builder to install a hole in the wall vertical gas fire on a narrow false chimney breast. He has done this but the hole cut out for the fire is from floor level and we won't have a hearth, we wanted the fire about 18" from the floor which will be Karndean. Should I insist it's raided before the fitting. We have a window the one side and French doors to the other. Thanks for any advice

  • 9 years ago

    I am in the middle of getting some wood floors installed and had them tear out the tile in front of the fireplace - to replace with updated tiles. I also like the look of no tile in front of the fireplace. I am being told I do not need the tile in front, yet I worry the heat will ruin the wood finish on my engineered hard wood floors as Kathleen above mentioned.

  • 9 years ago

    Rosalie - - did you ever get an answer and how did you proceed? We have just pulled up our carpet, and I'd like to pull up the tile and go all the way to our enclosed (the glass does not open) gas fireplace with our laminate that we are installing next week. Thanks!

  • 9 years ago

    I am of the same opinion as jennyabe -- I don't like the look of a hearth. When we moved into our home, the fireplace had been made for dual heat sources - wood and natural gas. We converted to have it solely as a gas fireplace. But I'm left with a big brick hearth that juts out into the room. I would love to take a cold chisel and sledge hammer to it myself, but my husband says no. I'm getting the idea from the thread that I could have the hearth removed. I would even be okay with some kind of nice tile on the floor in front. I just don't care for the raised brick hearth. My 9 year old uses it as a dumping ground for his junk - drives me mad. So I think I'll look into destroying that brick elephant I have in my living room. I appreciate all the discussion. Oh, and then I need to deal with the floor to ceiling brick that surrounds it. Definitely not my cup of tea. The windows are on the east side of the room, so once the sun moves, the room looks quite dark with all that brick. I would LOVE a white marble fireplace surround. Or, maybe (realistically) I'll just paint the brick a nice, bright, metallic, reflective white!

    Thanks for all the info, everybody!

  • 9 years ago

    Hello, sorry to take so long to respond. Yes, I did remove the hearth, and my wood is right up against my fireplace. I called a few builders and they said the gas fireplaces do not get hot enough to damage my engineered wood floors, not sure about laminate. I also asked the Shaw wood floor rep and got the same response. I have been using the gas fireplace and have to admit I worry a little. I really love the look so much better.

    I tore out the ugly tile and added a white tile with a light grey grout. I am now waiting on the mantle to be finished and I'm painting it white as well.

  • 9 years ago
    I have engineered wood all the way up to my fireplace which is used frequently (we live in Canada) and although it definitely gets warm to the touch, there has been no warping, damage etc.
  • 8 years ago
    Can a polypropylene carpet (obviously combustible) be used without a mantle? Fireplace is a 42 inch Cosmo (high btu gas). It is set low to the ground. The manual is clear about clearances above and around, but not in front.
  • 8 years ago
    Can carpet go up to a gas fireplace? Not sure if the carpet would get hot? Right now there is tile flooring.
  • 8 years ago
    ^^I meant hearth, not mantle.
  • 8 years ago

    Rosalie- is your fireplace sealed with glass, or does it have doors that open?

  • 8 years ago

    It has doors that open. But it’s natural gas.

  • 8 years ago

    It is sealed with glass. My home was built in 2002, your typical gas fireplace.

  • 8 years ago

    I am going through something similar. My husband wants to put tile on the floor in front of the fireplace but i want the laminate to go all the way to the wood burning fire place. Would that work? My husband says it would be a fire hazard. Should we talk with the fire department about local fire codes? - Thanks!

  • 8 years ago
    I have a new construction home and do not want a hearth. Don’t need one bc the fireplace is gas only and doesn’t open. How did you guys butt the flooring up against the fireplace surround? Does it look unfinished? My surround is cast stone and my fireplace is right on the floor.
  • 8 years ago

    hrechkafield I was unable to obtain the stone I wanted for my corner fireplace so we painted the drywall white and it is beautiful. The hearth has a granite top and the front is panted a light tan to blend in with the granite and carpet. I say, dare to be different.

  • 8 years ago

    Hi lovely people

    we re having hardwood floors installed tomorrow! Not sure whether to install new hearth tiling or have wood go right to the gas fireplace? Love your asap thoughts


  • 3 years ago

    Hi I know this is an old thread, but what did you end up installing and if hardwood, did it damage it over time?

  • 2 years ago

    how many inches does the brick extend on the floor in front of fireplace? need answer for California. Thanks