Software
Houzz Logo Print
martynorah_medina

I NEED A VISION, PLEASE HELP

I would like to do a diy project and update the front of this house but not sure what to do other than change the trim color. I would like to stay on a budget under $2,000. Any suggestions?

Comments (23)

  • 11 days ago

    I think it looks nice. I would remove the eagle and beef up the porch columns.

  • 11 days ago

    Why do you feel you need an update? Is there something about it you don't like?


    FWIW, I think it's lovely as-is.


    The only think I'd recommend is some beefing up of the landscaping to bring the plantings more in scale with the house.

  • 11 days ago

    It looks so charming already!

  • 11 days ago

    I added more trim (octagon and ledger board above) and painted the portico trim to match. Moved the eagle and address numbers. Removed the star.

    I agree it's a lovely house.




  • PRO
    11 days ago

    For sure no octogon and as for trim what color were you thinking? I like your home the way it is but I grre the landscaping is where I would spend 2K best ROI

  • 11 days ago

    Okay no octagon



  • 11 days ago

    Landscaping, landscaping, landscaping.

    Why is everything so teeny-tiny? The house isn't. Shrubs more in scale with the house would help. Possibly a flowering tree off to the right. A wider sidewalk - that's where the money should go.

  • 11 days ago

    Consider going just a bit darker on the trim around the windows and then adding that color to the other trim on the house and posts. Home looks nice.

  • PRO
    11 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

    Given there seems to be plenty to do INSIDE a charming older home on which you've not yet even closed.........?

    I would leave well enough alone, put the money toward landscaping and save money for your living spaces

    : )



    It's always good to begin with the reality of the project, versus one you've already asked Chat GPT or whatever.

    Is this to live in, or to flip?

  • 10 days ago

    I like the house just the way it is. Your landscaping appears to be well done, but, its too small for the house. Add more. I also like the idea of Mad_Gallica, above, of adding a tree off to the right, and a wider sidewalk. The house itself, looks great.

  • 10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

    What clt3 said … for those commenting on the size of the landscaping, we don’t know exactly what is planted , the location & it’s ultimate size. In my area, landscaping grows very fast, too fast in some instances. Btw, a big ”no”to adding window boxes, even in my very mild climate they’re challenging, & I love to garden.

  • 10 days ago

    What Im not liking is the blue spay paint that was used lol. This is my first post and first time on the app and wasn't sure if I could upload more pictures but the previous owner used spray paint and there is also spray back or back spray on the siding. We close on 9/22 and looking at options. I also thought the front porch looked a little small for the house so I might play around with the columns. This house sits across from the county fair grounds and I dont want it to be an eye sore.

  • 10 days ago

    We will be living in this for at least 2-3 years.

  • 10 days ago

    Nice house. I would paint the porch columns white.

  • 10 days ago

    Congratulations on your new home! It's not an eyesore but with these ideas you're on the right track.

  • 10 days ago

    If the house needed a new paint job, I would paint the window trim white to match the white window frames, so you don't get the rectangle-within-a-rectangle effect, which makes the house look busy. Then paint the house a slightly darker color than white. BM Nantucket Gray would look good with white trim.



  • 9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

    I’d make a wish list and look into costs…then prioritize, as $2,000 will go fast. I’d focus on the entrance and narrow down by affordability: wider walkway/steps and pillars, even just paint door a different color.


    If you can paint the window trim yourself (suggest a soft shade that works with your roof) and you’ll save a lot of money. Additional minimal landscaping can be added slowly.

  • 9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

    2-3 years goes awfully fast, as does $2k. If selling within that time frame is a possibility I wouldn’t make any structural changes. The house looks great as it is, maybe just a few tweaks to make it your own.

    Many of the suggestions made on here cost big buck$.!

  • 9 days ago

    I don't like the eagle. It's too small for the space, and highlights the asymetry of your windows. If you love it, but it over the door. I don't like the star, either. I'd pick either the star or the eagle and put one over the door remove the other. Perhaps, there's a place on another side of the house for it, if you love it. Your house numbers are small. I'm sure they are barely legible from the road. Bigger numbers are another option for the porch gable.


    I'd add a bit of landscaping. Maybe something like creeping phlox?


    I think you'd enhance the entry with a wider path. One thing that upgrades the look of a cement path is a brick border. Power wash the cement and add a brick border.

    Mediterranean Landscape · More Info


  • 9 days ago

    If you are only staying for a couple of years I would concentrate on landscaping only. This is a very charming house.

  • PRO
    7 days ago

    I would get rid of the eagle and the fret work to the left of the photo. You could paint the front door black. It is very cute. Maybe when you have a lot more money and your 20 years in a larger porch, otherwise keep costs to a minimum with a few larger shrubs. Congratulations!

  • 4 days ago

    Adding to some of the ideas already suggested here.

    White trim for windows to avoid the busy look of square-in-square.

    Wider pathway is more budget friendly than wider porch. Add brick or pavers beside the existing pathway as suggested above.

    Taller plants in front of the house. The ones you have are too small for a 2 storey house.

    Extend the planting bed to the right of the house, to balance the left side. At present, the bed ends too abruptly at the end of the house. Plant a small tree or tall shrub to soften the edge of the house and balance the bulk of the circular room.

    Remove star and eagle.

    Larger house number and exterior lights. White porch posts, could be larger but not a priority.

    More eye-catching front door colour.

    Cute house.