Software
Houzz Logo Print
rrwahle

Backsplash Help - Is this too different?

13 years ago
We are installing White Shaker perimeter cabinets, dark island, and Cambria Newport (white) countertop in a transitional, Midwestern, suburban home, circa 1995. Seems like rectangular glass or subway tile is everywhere. Hubby like the straight lines, but I was thinking maybe do something a little different. Do you think this shape (Walker Zanger Julia Mosaic in Fog Gloss) is a good choice, or will it look out of place? Have not seen any photos of this installed. Should we stay safe with rectangles or be bold with a shaped tile? Thanks for any advice...selecting all finishes is exciting, but STRESSFUL for decision-impaired people like me! Renee

Comments (75)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Subway tile is getting to be like the 4 1/4 wall tile used to be-- your basic tile backsplash. HOWEVER-- nothing says you have to do the standard brick joint pattern! You can frame the different sections with a one tile border, and then do something like a herringbone or basketweave inside the border. This is a shower (obviously) but it shows subway tile in a herringbone pattern. It completely changes the look of it. IT would change even more if you were to use a subtle contracting color grout with it, as well. Say, something like a light gray with white subways. Here's the herringbone:
    rrwahle thanked Creative Ceramic & Marble/ Bill Vincent
  • 13 years ago
    Agree if you have white counter tops you have to be careful of the color of the backsplash.
    rrwahle thanked bevballew
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Very ironic ... I am also thinking about doing an "arabesque" tile in my new modern kitchen (also my "last" decision yet to be made). And my husband also thinks that square/linear is a better way to go.

    I love the beveled/dimensional one offered by Mission Stone & Tile, and supposedly they are adding more styles to their line this month, but I haven't seen them yet.

    http://store.missionstonetile.com/Arabesque-Wall-Tile-Glass-Ceramic-Stone-s/266.htm?gclid=CL2G7bye-LkCFQqe4AodwFgAPw
    rrwahle thanked Brenda
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, everyone! As far as colors, the photo doesn't show the "real-life" color very well. Tiles are warm gray, like BM Revere Pewter. The "veining" in counters read gray with brown specs, not really cream at all. (see below). I think tile color compliments the counters nicely. My real concern was the shape being too strange. It is very similar to the arabesque, but less detailed edges. Husband is now okay with anything, which is nice for me. Hopefully he will like the end product!
  • 13 years ago
    If you have your heart set on it, then do it, then enjoy it.
    rrwahle thanked RosemaryR
  • 13 years ago
    I think it will look beautiful and that you really want this .. go for it!
    rrwahle thanked indianpatti
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Great tile for the backsplash! Let us know if we can help you with any of your kitchen cabinets!
    rrwahle thanked Cabinets To Go
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Great to see a post where almost everyone loves what you want to do! I don't see any need for caution -- your plan looks delicious -- but I noticed someone suggested buying a few, putting them on a board, and propping them up in the kitchen for a while. Great idea to live with a large sample where you will install it -- but except for paint, you shouldn't have to pay to do this, At least where I live, the tile stores will check out their sample boards for several days so you can see them in your own light and against other things they will be living with. Ditto for flooring and my favorite fabric store, which almost insisted I do this -- with samples nearly a yard square. No charge -- unless you don't return it.
    Have fun -- and trust your taste -- you are right on target!
    rrwahle thanked User
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the confidence boost! I did have a whole tile board at home for awhile, except it was the French blue color. Every time I looked at it I did love it. Hopefully I will love the gray just as much. Good to know about the fabric store.
  • 12 years ago
    catieb, got it right, it will "make" the kitchen. In my girlfriend's kitchen it's the same thing.
    rrwahle thanked Arley
  • 12 years ago
    I moved into an apartment and didn't change a thing in the kitchen. The white tile is on a diagonal and I think it looks fine.
    rrwahle thanked Carole Hersh
  • 12 years ago
    any photos yet of your new backsplash rrwahle?
    rrwahle thanked Brenda
  • 12 years ago
    rrwahle...I am also remodeling the kitchen as well as baths and other rooms. It's easy to second guess yourself, third guess, fourth guess, until you can't sleep anymore. Because I picked dark gray cabinets in the kitchen, I am not painting the walls gray but am using gray on walls in other rooms. BM Revere Pewter is a great looking gray. In the kitchen, I am using a calm countertop called Silestone, Lyra which has a white base with soft, muted black and gray swirls. It looks like marble but is quartz. My point is that I am adding "bold" and color with a large picture/print with some gray and black but also with yellows, purple and sage green. I am going to fill the wall between the end of the cabinet to a window with this picture. If you want calm, monochromatic color, go for it! Or, if you want to add color, you can do it with a picture, a vase and colorful dried flowers, a colorful tea pot on your stove and so many other ways. It's your home, do what you want and ENJOY!
    rrwahle thanked Gayle Retske
  • 12 years ago
    No photos yet..just got our start date of early November. Will post in December. Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone!
  • 12 years ago
    I will also post in Dec. Good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    LOVE THIS TILE.....everybody & their brother is doing subway tile. Beautiful choice that will go will many different looks.
    rrwahle thanked kcar66
  • 12 years ago
    Was worried with first picture...your second pic allays those fears. Can't wait to see finished product.
    rrwahle thanked dclostboy
  • 12 years ago
    I put that exact tile in my main bath in the first house I built in 1977, so it doesn't work for me for that reason, and I think it's too busy. I'd prefer a subway tile with dark grout that you won't have too much trouble scrubbing on a vertical surface. M
  • 12 years ago
    Project Complete! We love the backsplash. Thanks to everyone for their help!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Love it!!! Looks beautiful!
    rrwahle thanked Timeless Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for posting, it looks great! I love your backsplash too.
    rrwahle thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • 12 years ago
    Looks great., did you go white or cream tile?
  • 12 years ago
    bevballew-the tile is called "Fog-Gloss" it is a light gray.
  • 12 years ago
    The fog color is perfect - brings a little softness and subtly while maintaining the clean, monochrome, neutral pallet.
    rrwahle thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful!
    rrwahle thanked jen046
  • 12 years ago
    What a great choice!
    rrwahle thanked indomom
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    gorgeous
    rrwahle thanked Vered Rosen Design
  • 12 years ago
    I vote yes to style of tiles.
    rrwahle thanked Kathleen Jamison
  • 12 years ago
    Rrwalhe, what grout color did you use? Thanks.
  • 12 years ago
    54 comments. And one year later. What did you choose?? How dud it all turn out?? Pls post photos.
  • 12 years ago
    lizzieplace, we went with a white grout.
  • 12 years ago
    makennac, We went with samples shown above. I will post photos. We love how it all turned out, thanks for checking.
  • 12 years ago
    FINAL PROJECT PHOTOS
  • 12 years ago
    one more photo of the other wall
  • 12 years ago
    Love!
  • 12 years ago
    I like it. A lot. And I'm surprised that I like it... I find that tile too 70s Boho for my taste. I love Boho! But not in something as permanent as tile, or as prominent as a backsplash. And I would have steered clear of the white grout bc of the maintenance. But you proved me wrong. Your design works. And you brought everything together like the brilliant conductor of a philharmonic. Great job! And thank you for closing the loop on this. M
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you rrwahle! Is that a blanco sink and ventahood hood?
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks makennac! Lizzieplace, yes a Blanco sink, hood is a Broan. LOVE the Blanco Silgranit sink in Metallic Gray! It is awesome. Doesn't scratch or look dirty.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks rrwahle! Now you are making me want to change my sink color :/ we were choosing between the metallic gray and truffle, and chose the latter in the end. We haven't seen it installed yet, so hopefully it will be as pretty as yours! Thanks for all the info. Came across your post as I was searching for pictures on the julia Mosaic. We have the same backsplash, including color!
  • 12 years ago
    I love it!
  • 12 years ago
    Lizziplace, I'm sure the truffle will look great. Good to know someone else picked out that tile too! Would love to see pictures!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    This is a good choice. Since your kitchen is very neutral it would be nice to add some pizzazz through an interesting texture. Don't play it safe, be bold!
  • 12 years ago
    Love it all- great choices all around in your new kitchen!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Arabesque is timeless; it's fluid and classic and has been used for centuries. It can be too strong if there are other elements (heavily veined stone) in competition for attention, particularly if it has colour variation of its own, but this is a perfect example of a great installation.
  • 11 years ago
    Love the tile...would just prefer some color given the rest of your choices.
  • 11 years ago
    rrwahle, your kitchen looks absolutely gorgeous! i love the backsplash. we had the same dilemma and decided to buy the "fog gloss" walker zanger tiles in the cocoon shape. they haven't been installed yet so i was wondering if you know the exact color and manufacturer of your grout. is it Mapei? also, which trim did you use along the right edge where the wall ends? is it the bullnose, quarter round, etc.? we have the same situation and forgot to account for it so we need to buy a few pieces. thank you so much!
  • 11 years ago
    Sheeragross, the grout is TEC Power Grout 550 in white. It has epoxy in it, so should not need sealing. Was a little difficult for tile installer, as he had not used it before. For the trim, we used the Stick Liner 1/2" x 8-1/2" pieces. Good luck!
  • 11 years ago

    Beautiful job - love your choices!!

  • 11 years ago

    rrwhale what is your floor tile brand, color, and name and where did you purchase it?

  • 10 years ago

    Gorgeous!!! Found your kitchen because I have been looking at the Cocoon version of this tile. This was helpful, thank you!