FIND PROFESSIONALS
joans254

joans254
How far above a table should the bottom of a chandelier hang?

• jtleonard

I think I love this chandelier but I'm not sure the scale is right. I have a traditional colonial home.. we have 9' ceilings and it is currently hung at 32" so do you think if i move it up 6" do you think this will work? or is it just too "heavy" for this space/table... And is it too modern for a traditional home. Table is 60" round. orb is 24" diameter.

Looking for this table

I saw this center table which is 40 inched wide, but need a bit smaller, anyone have any ideas where I can find one? Any suggestions really appreciated...

need help choosing curtains

I'll have a sofa in front of the TV set in the living room. Haven't decided of its color yet. What are your suggestions for the accent pieces in order to make both the living room and the kitchen cosy?

Help me decide wall colors to our new home

Congrats on your new home! I think the neutral colors are great for this space. I would suggest adding canvas wall art that is easy to put up (and take down) if you aren't ready to commit to one theme or color. Good luck! http://www.lot26.com/s/Canvas-Wall-Hangings

Help choosing wood flooring

Thank you all for responding. I looked at a pine floor stained one part provincial and two parts dark walnut and it is really pretty. I wish we were putting in a custom floor so we could stain it ourselves, but it looks like we will most likely be putting in an engineered wood floor. I need to check out some provincial engineered samples now that you mentioned that. I didn't know what provincial was before. We dont personally prefer the orangey red undertone of the current oak, so we are almost positive we will paint all the trim and the column and mantel white. Though we may do some accent color on the mantel for a statement, not sure on that yet. I think the white trim, column, cabinets, etc will give it a bigger more airy feel in the house, right now the eye is just so drawn to all the dark wood. We will be replacing the current granite tile fireplace surround because of the pink in it we are trying to get away from. We won't have any of the current tile left in the house as the wood floors will be 100 percent of the floors in the house, minus the two bathrooms for which we need to pick new tile. I really do like oak in a brown dark oak or medium to darker walnut colored stain. I will pick up some oak samples as well. I would actually prefer just to get a real oak floor instead of engineered, but our foundation is slab, and we are hesitant to add the extra height of putting in a plywood subfloor to nail down to. Plus my contractor said it would be much more expensive. Just FYI, we will be replacing the window treatments do the red toned oak or cherry blinds won't be here anymore either.
    Decor Innovation Designs

@jtleonard

Its hard to tell by the images if the scale is correct. If your table is 60" wide then the chandelier should be between 48" and 44" wide. The height you have it looks ok, I wouldn't hang it any higher. I have used them in traditional homes before, I dont feel that is the problem with this chandelier. Dose the design of the chandelier look like the images of traditional bedroom we did below?

• allysonrcook

I've been shopping around for lighting to go over my kitchen table in my newly remodeled family room / dining / kitchen space that all flow into each other.

The table we've purchased is going to be two tone (dark coffee colored top & sail colored legs) measuring at 42"x60".

The light that I seem to gravitate most to looks like this...

• Dimensions: 7 inches wide x 15 inches high x 44 inches long.
    • My main questions are:
    • 1) Are the dimensions of this light are too large for the size of my dining table?
    • 2) Would this look okay hanging from a slanted vaulted ceiling?
    • 3) My kitchen cabinets are white in the adjacent room, will this stand out enough with them in the background?
    • I'd love some professional feedback on this.
    • Thanks!
    • Allyson
  • allysonrcook

Here's a picture of the chandelier I've been considering and referenced above.

• km kane
    It depends on how high your ceiling is and how big the room is. Typical 8' ceiling in a 10' by 12' dining room - then 30 to 34" above the table, depending on how wide the table is.

My dining room? My light is 4' wide above a 5' wide table in a big room. The ceiling at the table area is 12'. I placed it 44" above the table. Works for me!
  • jtleonard

@Decor Innovation Designs. Thank you for your response. Yes the light is similar to the one that you posted. Thanks for your advice.

Decor Innovation Designs

@jtleonard Ok, I feel it works with no problem. If I could give you some design advise when it comes to this type of chandelier. Since it is a glamorous but dainty piece I would consider adding some drapery panels in between your windows at ceiling height that might have a similar colour that the chandelier has to soften the heaviness of the wood. These panels would be fore decorative only you don't need them to close since you have blinds already. :)

Decor Innovation Designs

@allysonrcook,

Hi, Do you have picture of your space so that I can make sure i'm giving you the right advise?

1. The dimensions of the light are not to large, I would see if you could get it in 48" long. If you are going to use a rectangular chandelier.

2. You will have to make sure that the box the cables are attached to will allow for hang it on a vaulted ceiling, I would also have a professional hang it so it doesn't look tilted.

3. Yes this will also help to bring the white from the kitchen to the dining room.

Renee :)

• allysonrcook

@Decor Innovation Designs. Here is a picture of the space.

(Our spot for our kitchen table is still bare below the current light fixture, because we are waiting for it to ship. Sorry!)

Decor Innovation Designs

@allysonrcook, I think the chandelier you chose is perfect. It just might be tricky to hang, so i would have a professional hang it if you can.

• S T
    I have 9 foot ceilings. I am installing 3 pendant lights over my kitchen island and one chandelier over my kitchen table. Should all 4 lights hang the same length from the Ceiling? My table is 30 inches tall and my island is 37 inches tall.
  • kevin2491

Hi, I just purchased this light: http://www.worldwidelighting.net/w83053g29.html

I have 9 foot ceiling and 30 inch table height. according to the rules above, the space between table and bottom of light should be in the 33-37 inch range. The issue is that I'm 6.5 feet tall and wonder if that should be taken into consideration and make light higher? What do you suggest?

Decor Innovation Designs

@S T, No not all lights should hang at the same height. Because the height of an island and the height of a table are different, and this a way to create interest and so that the rooms feel individual.

Decor Innovation Designs

@kevin2491 At your height you should be okay with the 33-37 inch range. I looked at the chandelier and when you hang this still the lowest point at the bottom of the chandelier is were you want to measure from. So technically the the only part of the chandelier that will be at 33 - 37 would be the bottom point because of the angle it has.

• Brenda Stewart

I just had this light installed above my kitchen island. I have 10 ft ceiling in my kitchen and initially the light was installed 37 inches above the island. When the electrician left, the light felt too high so I called the guy back out and had him add 3 links to each side to make it 33 1/2 inches above the island (see pics below). I am still not sure if it is the proper height. Any advice would be appreciated.

Decor Innovation Designs

@Brenda Stewart,33 inches works, unless you feel its to low. Then I would have them raise it to 36"

• lesliemcguire40

I am going to have a 60 inch round table in my dining room. What minimum/maximum diameter would you recommend for a light fixture? Also, if it helps for size, the ceiling height is 9 feet and the the table height is 32 inches. Thanks!

Decor Innovation Designs
    Hi leslie. for a 60" round table you can go with a 48" chandlier or drum pendant. For how high to hang it any where from 32" to 38" from the lowest point of chandiler to the top of the table.
    Defined ID Design
    36" is best
  • e2053

So happy to find this thread! My dining room has 9' ceilings and the table is 45" wide. I am looking at a chandelier that is 34" tall and 32" wide. I am concerned it may be too tall. What is the rule of thumb for how close to the ceiling the fixture can be? Any help would be appreciated!

Decor Innovation Designs
    @e2053. Hi, the chandelier hight 32 is ok. if you hang it at 33" from top of table to the lowes point of the chandelier you will still have 13" of space from the top of chandelier to the ceiling.
  • e2053

Thank you!

• Kendall ONeal

I am trying to find an appropriately sized chandelier. My ceilings are 10 feet high. My table is 43" wide. The chandelier that I like is 32" in diameter and 28" high. Do you think this would work? By my calculation, it seems like the diameter is 1 inch too large, do you think this will make a difference? I also like one that is 31 1/2" in diameter, but is long at 46 3/4 inch. Do you think this one would work?

• Kendall ONeal

also I should add that my room is 15x13 feet

Decor Innovation Designs
    @kendall ONeal. I feel that your first choice would be the best, it will give you more room to adjust height. When it comes to height above the table for 10' ceiling start with 36" above the table to the lowes part of the chandlier.
  • jzamudio_1030

I have a question, I have 10' ceiling, my dining room table measures 71x39x30H would this flushmount chandelier fit 39Hx31x10? I am confused as to what is recommended for dining room fixtures in terms of chandelier height. thank you, I appreciate your feedback and this thread!

• angela1432

Hello, I came across this thread and I went through most of the post and most of was very helpful. I have 18ft cathedral ceilings. The area is one big room kitchen, dining table, and living room. My original plane was to have two light fixtures. One in the living room, and another above the kitchen island. Now I am thinking about putting three different light fixtures to try to separate each area. Approximate demensions,

Kitchen: 12X20

Table: 7X20

Living Room: 12X20

My questions are:

1. If I have three light fixtures, the entry fixture will be around the same area as the dining table. Would that be too much when we walk in the front door?

2. Should I have all three the same length? Or should I have different lengths?

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you for keeping the thread going.

Decor Innovation Designs
    @jzamudio_1030, The height of the chandelier you like is fine but the width is to large it needs to be 12" smaller then the width pf the table about 27". This is also hanging it at 36 above the dining table.
    Decor Innovation Designs
    @angela1432, You can have three chandeliers to separate your spaces. They will all be at different heights especially in dining room and kitchen island area for task lightning. The entry lighting and dining room light won't be to close since the dining table lighting will be centered to the dining table and the table will separate the spaces. Hope this helps you.
  • lnakaguma

Hello, I'm so glad I found this thread - I'm hoping I can get some help and advice too. We have a very open floorplan with vaulted ceilings through the living room and dining room. Its nice because its open, but makes it harder to make everything work together. I need help with a dining room chandelier and an entry way chandelier.

1) Our dining table is a long rectangle - 86"x42". We were initially going to get the large size of the Made Goods Henry Chandelier - http://www.shopcandelabra.com/made-goods-henry-chandelier which has a 30" diameter. I've been debating whether its not the right size for the space, and reading through this thread, I'm even more worried about it. However, if we size down to the small size, I'm worried the ends of the table won't get enough light (the small light also only has 3 bulbs instead of 5). So then I saw this rectangular chandelier http://www.shopcandelabra.com/restoration-warehouse-corsicana-5-light-chandelier and I'm worried about the posts in the fixture being fixed and unadjustable, the quality of the fixture due to the nice price, and the base of the fixture on a vaulted ceiling. I can't do two chandeliers over the dining table anymore without significant changes. Highest point of the vault in the dining room is ~10'.

2) Because the dining room is visible from the entry, I'm debating between getting similar fixtures (shells) and a fixture that I think is just gorgeous, but I'm not sure if it matches. I love one of these two:

http://www.shopcandelabra.com/currey-and-company-shoreline-pendant

http://www.curreycodealers.com/p-7073-bayou-chandelier.aspx#.WFrEZFMrK00

I'm not sure if this one matches better though with the other fixtures (and if the height is better - entryway ceiling height is 9'):

http://www.kouboo.com/abalone-bowl-pendant-lamp-pearlescent-white/

And just for reference because the kitchen pendants will be visible from the entryway too, I think, these are the lights we're 90% sure of for our island pendant lights.

https://varaluz.com/collections/tusk/products/varaluz-tusk-152m01nb-mini-pendant-light

I'm probably over-analyzing and got myself down a rabbit hole, but I really appreciate any help and thoughts. I'm also open to different fixtures as well. We're building in Hawaii, so we're going for a "coastal modern" vibe for the house.

THANK YOU!

• lnakaguma

for reference, here is a screenshot of our floorplan -

• Gerald

I want to put 2 hanging lights in my entry, and I'm wondering if it would be the same height requirements as a ceiling fan? I have 9.5 ft ceilings which most websites suggest 3 inch downrod for the ceiling fans.

• jeldredge001

I need help!! I have a 60" diameter round kitchen table. My ceilings are 9' high. I want this chandelier

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/carriage-house-chandeliers/lighting/chandeliers-pendants/167657

Which size should I buy? How far from the top of the table would you hang it? I like that it's kind of "see through" so hopefully it won't be to visually distracting.

I really appreciate your help!

Decor Innovation Designs

@lnakaguma I do apologist for the delay. Hope I can still be of assistance. You are correct to use the 30" Made Goods Henry Chandelier - http://www.shopcandelabra.com/made-goods-henry-chandelier it isn't to large it is the proper size. I wouldn't do the rectangular chandelier unless the rods can be converted to a chain system. I would look for something that will give you more light in the entry. the shells on the entry chandeliers seem to give a very small amounts of light. I would do a glass that has the same bronze that is in the dining chandelier and keep the focus on the dining room chandelier. To many shells can become gaudy.

You could also do something like this for the entry.

Decor Innovation Designs

@Gerald Since you have 9.5ft ceiling your lighting can be hung as low as 7' from the bottom of the light to the floor. That will give you enough space to add a light that is up to 24" long, However I like to raise the light 3" up for every foot of ceiling above 8'.

Decor Innovation Designs

@jeldredge001

You can chose between 2 sizes. You can do 1/2 the size of the table 30" or 2/3 of the size 40"

Since you have 9ft ceilings you can hang it 33 to 36 inches above the table.

• Yaly_cu

Hi, I have 94 inch ceilings in my dining room, our dining table is a roughly 81" by 41" live edge wood slab similar to the pic below the fixture. I would like to go with something that complements it without competing but does not look too wimpy for it. I've also included a pic of the chairs in case it helps. I am loving this particular light fixture, the cord itself is not adjustable and sits at about 21", from there max height is as shown depending on positioning of branches. Length is also adjustable maxing out as seen. Would this fixture work for my room? Or would it be too much. I understand I need to keep it shorter than the table and may remove a branch or two to that effect.

Beach Style Dining Room · More Info

Decor Innovation Designs

@Yaly_cu, I do apologize for not responding sooner. Is seems you are doing a very modern look. I think this fixture would work quit nice over your table and love the chairs :)

• Ashley Franke

Hi Decor Innovation Designs, we are buying a new house and looking for a chandelier to go in our casual dinning area. The area is 11'10" x 13' with 10' ceilings. Our table is 59" round. Would a fixture that is 30"w x 30"d with a 62" height be 2 large?

Decor Innovation Designs

Hi Ashley Franke, Yes a 62" tall chandelier is to long that would only leave you 28" above the table and thats if you mounted it right at the ceiling. You need to find something closer to 52" if you want to mount it directly to the ceiling with no chain or 42" if you want some chain to hang above the chandelier. 42" will also allow you to play with the height between the table and bottom of chandelier.

• tlsings

This is a helpful forum! Thanks for the questions & answers! :)

Here are my questions...we live in an 856 sq. ft. apartment. It is more of an open concept kitchen, living and dining area. The living and dining are separated by an arched opening & a partial wall that extends down 2' from the ceiling. The dining area is approximately 121 sq. ft. The living area is approx. 210 sq. ft. Ceiling height is 8'7". The entry staircase leads up to the living space and as you get towards the top, there is a half wall from the floor that is 3' 11" h & 7'2" w. We offset our round table (4' diameter/2'5"h) to the side a bit more than a foot and a half from that half wall, so there would be an ample opening/walkway and would feel more open. When we have larger gatherings, we put in the leaf that makes the table oval shaped (don't know the dimensions off hand).

The current junction box/canopy is offset & then the chandelier extends via chain about 3' to the center of the dining room ceiling. The fixture is not our taste and we would like to replace it. Our apartment community maintenance team has agreed to install the new one and place where we would like, which would be over our dining room table (via chain would be our only option & that would need to extend about 5' from the canopy to be in the center of our table).

I need some direction on shape/size/style of the lighting fixture. My husband and I tend to gravitate towards rustic/industrial taste, but I like some Mid Century Modern, Farmhouse, Shabby Chic, Bohemian. Let's just say my taste is Eclectic! :) I like to combine some softer, romantic elements, so I was thinking of replacing the current light fixture with a chandelier light that mixes some metal elements. Budget is $150 or less. I liked the Afaura Antique Black Round Drume Shade/4 Light Crystal Chandelier on Houzz, but it appears the diameter would be too small & I'm not sure the lighting would be sufficient.

Afaura Antique Black Round Drum Shade 4-Light Crystal Chandelier Ceiling Fixture · More Info

I learned that 36" would be the ideal size for our table & that it should hang approx 30" above the table, correct? If that is the case, I'm not sure I can find something within my budget for that size?

We do not have the option to make it a dimmer (bummer), but I plan to use some lamps on buffet that is about 4' from our table. I currently do a lot of work on my laptop at the table, so I want to have good lighting, but I don't want it to be glaring either. I want the light to be welcoming for guests and us while seated.

Any suggestions on size, shape, etc. would be welcomed. Thanks!

• d10usc
    Hey Decor Innovation Design I have two questions 1. We're about to redo our whole kitchen and need new pendants for the island do you have any recommendations. Im attaching a photo of one that I was thinking about but wasn't sure with them being this close if these were too big? Also 2. The other photo attached is one you had posted above do you know where it's from? I'd love it for my dining room
  • dhstrong

How far should a chandelier be from the table?

• hdgardenpro

Room Heights and Size, Table Size: The dining area and Keeping room ceiling height is 13'.8", the adjoining Family room ceiling is 18' and the adjoining Kitchen ceiling is 8'6" separates. The Dining area is separated from the Kitchen by a partial cutout wall which is 5' in length. The Dining area and Keeping room is an L shape with the Dining area 10' wide x an 11' length portion of an overall length of 23' including the Keeping room. The Dining table is 36" in height. It has fold up/down leaves which change the square top to either an oval top or a round top. When there is just two of us eating we use the oval shape and the round when more than 4 are eating with us. The oval size is 46.5"W x 66"L. The light I would like to hang is 30x30x30.

Questions: Does the higher table (36") play a role in determining hanging height or do I go with the 30" high table plus rule for ceilings above 8', eg. ((30" + (6'x3")=18"))=48" above table? Also, is the size of the light fixture appropriate for this table and space which is important because I will be ordering online and responsible for postage to return if it is wrong.

The light is on sale so I would appreciate your response as soon as possible. I appreciate your time to calculate all of this and I appreciate you. Thank you.

• Chauntell Mamone
    I’m looking at buying a black sheer rectangular light with crystals hanging down for my dining room but just remembered that I have to swag it so that it hands over the center of the table. It’s suposed to be wired from the center and has two aditional suport wires on each side. My question is, would this light look ok swaged? It sways to the front of the light. Thx Chauntell
    Decor Innovation Designs
    This discussion is still active. l do apologize if I havent got back to anyone or have missed any questions I wasnt receiving notices that people were leaving comments.
  • Michelle Brenzel

We recently got a new dining table and chairs. We are looking for a chandelier and bought this one because we thought it was nice-looking. I have two questions:

1. Do you think the chandelier style is right for the space? If no, what kind would you recommend?

2. Is the chandelier hanging too high? The ceiling is just over 9ft. and the room is 14ft x 14ft. The lowest part of the chandelier is hanging about 42 inches above the table.

Michelle

Decor Innovation Designs
    @Michelle

I love your space you did an amazing job. The chandelier works well in your dining room I wouldn't change it. Its modern and light feeling and pairs well with the rest of the space.

The general rule for hanging dining room chandeliers is that the bottom of the fixture should hang between 30" and 34" from the tabletop assuming you have an 8' ceiling.

Some designers recommend that for each additional foot of ceiling height you should add about 3" to the suspension height. It's important to note however that not everyone agrees with this. Some designers feel that the ceiling height shouldn't affect the distance of the fixture from the tabletop. If this is the case in your home the best thing to do is hold the fixture over the table and move it up and down until it feels right.
  • auspitzd

Hi! We just hung this chandelier and we are not able to hang any lower. I have 12 foot ceilings. The lowest hanging globe's bottom is 47 inches over the table-highest globe point is almost 70 above. Does this look too high. I hate to have to take it down :(