Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Favorite piece of furniture?

12 years ago
Do you have a favorite piece of furniture in your home? What is it?

Share your photos and tell us why it's your favorite!

Julianne Kelly · More Info

Comments (41)

  • 12 years ago
    Massive lamp...drawfs the room. Molding is beautiful
  • 12 years ago
    I had a wonderful pair of designer chairs as a birthday gift. They are called the King's and the Queen's chairs. They fit the place perfectly.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked bjanna
  • 12 years ago
    My early 1980's knock-off Eames lounger. Until I can afford a real one, this one sits in a sunny corner by a radiator and makes a yummy place to read or nap - especially with my 3 year old on my lap.
  • 12 years ago
    It is just perfect, and now to simplify again, it is inspiring for me, the Morgensen couch.
    Apologies for the first photo.. I don't know what it is or how to make it go away
  • 12 years ago
    My favorite piece of furniture is this old desk that I just refinished myself and turned into a vanity table http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/19312603/thumbs/Home
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Michelle Bailey
  • 12 years ago
    My favorite piece is this vintage Empire style chest of drawers in my dining room. I adore the two-toned paint job and the color of paint (I painted it myself!) and with its deep drawers it gives me SO much extra storage for candles, linens, off-season pillows and even TP! http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Donna Allgaier-Lamberti
  • 12 years ago
    The Collapsible Campaign Chair c1900 by James Herbert Mcnair who worked with Charles Rennie Mackintosh and both their wives (who were sisters) They were a part of the Glasgow group of artists and designers known as ‘The Four'. McNair spent a few years teaching architecture at Liverpool University (UK) which I can see from my office window. I found an original McNair Campaign chair on ebay that was being sold locally as part of a house clearance. The picture isn't of my actual chair (I'm away right now but couldn't wait to add this!) I borrowed these from a google search. I think mine's even more beautiful. It's black leather and MINT condition. I truly believe it was McNair's personal chair when he worked in Liverpool. Not only is it my best/favourite piece of furniture, it was also my best bargain purchase... I love it!
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked L M Nolan
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    My favorite piece is this antique table that my bestafar (grandfather in Danish) brought with him when he moved to America in the late 1890's. I've never seen another one like it and would love to hear from anyone who has one or has seen one that is similar to this one.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked jboncaro
  • 12 years ago
    My favorite piece is an armoire in my daughters nursery. It was given to us by her grandparents. We use it as her changing table and for storing her clothes. It's so large in her tiny bedroom it dwarfs everything else, however I don't get the vibe that its a cannibal like I do from that purple lamp.
  • 12 years ago
    I also live her crib, lamp, sofa, pretty much everything in her room.
  • 12 years ago
    This incredible indoor living sculpture is one of my favorite pieces of furniture (does art count if it also holds indoor plants?) It looks like molded plastic but it's actually wood ( you can specify formaldehyde-free plywood!). All the plants are drought tolerant succulents and are doing very well. I use a squirt bottle to water them occasionally. If one dies its very easy to pop out and replace. The artist, Claudia Bucher, custom builds them. Mine has a video component built in to a porthole that plays a video that was shot to make you feel like you are a tiny piece of pollen bobbing around a desert flower. It's really magical. These can be made for outdoors as well.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    This dresser was bought in 1995 after being in the Army for a few years. Fast forward to 2013 and it is still a part of my home.
  • 12 years ago
    Terrible photo. My antique secretary stolen from my in-laws barn. It belonged to my husband's great grandmother. I'm in the process of painting it with a beautiful yellow chalk paint and wax. I plan to put a vintage print fabric behind the glass and use it in our entrance to hold mail, shoes, purses etc. totally functional.
  • 12 years ago
    My favorite piece of furniture is a headboard made by Laura Shapiro.
  • 12 years ago
    @ L M Nolan - I am GREEN with envy that you found a genuine McNair chair - unbelievable! So glad to hear it went to someone who realised what its true value is.

    We found Charles Rennie Mackintosh furniture for sale in Edmonton, Canada, 20 years ago. Apparently an Italian furniture company had bought the copyright decades ago, and they're still making it to his original specs - black-stained ash and all. It was divine, but SO outside my budget back then, sadly. Still, it was fun to be able to actually sit on and play with *that* ladder-backed chair and others instead of admiring them from afar at a museum.

    I do have a little antique Scottish chair that I bought for $20 at an auction a few years ago that came out of a Scotsman's house here in Canada. It's in storage right now, but when I get it out I'm pretty sure it's going to become my favourite chair in front of the kitchen fire.
  • 12 years ago
    I have two favorites. I have a tall case clock (I guess you can call it furniture). It was built in the 1750's, has the original works and beautiful original wood.

    I also love my small dining table. It is new, but definitely a style I like right now.

    Some day the table will leave for a new style, the clock will never leave my family. My parents bought it in London in 1959. I have traced the maker to a watch maker who started making tall case clocks in the early 1750's in a clock shop about six blocks from London Bridge. He added his own flair of a sweep second hand. Unheard of in those days.
  • 12 years ago
    Ooops..... Pictures
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I gave my favorite piece of furniture to my daugther. It's a Bowback Windsor rocking chair with arms, and I rocked both my babies in it. I wanted her to be able to use it to rock her babies, so it will soon be in her newly renovated home. Currently, I have a pair of red leather swivel club chairs that I think of as a room size version of a pair of red leather pumps. They are comfy. but still add a little sizzle to a space.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Pictures of the red chairs, in my previous home.
  • 12 years ago
    I do like the red tub chairs. Is that a sofa recovered with denim fabric? I like the denim with red topstich in a family room. I do not like the carpet...
  • 12 years ago
    I have many favorite pieces!!!!
  • 12 years ago
    I Love the Purple chairs..My living room is purple to and cream..grey. Now I'll have to find some chairs that color !!! Beautiful NOT crazy about the Huge lamp. But grogeous molding and living room!
  • 12 years ago
    Carol Cailin...Oh, gosh that desk is wonderful...Please don't paint it. Plus its worth a fortune as it is. I bet it would sell for a thousand or two as is...right now...Have a dealer look at it before you do anything...I had one just like it back in 1972 when my husband was a dealer. Wish I still owned it !!! Once you paint it you will ruin its value. Just polish it !!! Its Gorgeous!!
  • 12 years ago
    I would love to see a Beautiful Painting to give the room more color above the mantle instead of the mirror, the mirror is nice but to wide for the mantle and the lamp is beautiful but overwhelmes the room...,rooms to small for that size shade. and another color , maybe a splash of RED or Yellow, either, just a tiny bit maybe a Flower or throw pillows would look wonderful with purple.
  • 12 years ago
    My favorite piece of furniture in my home is a 9 foot Louis XV oak sideboard. (all one piece) It is beautiful . I do not have a picture at present but I will get one and post it for you.
  • 12 years ago
    Sue. It's in such bad condition that it needs to be stripped down. I plan to have it professionally refinished at some point. I plan to keep it forever, it's value to me is sentimental. It came from a furniture and undertakers supply place in Indiana. I still have the original card. It actually looks very beautiful now with its paint. I'll post a pic when I finish it.
  • 12 years ago
    Great Carol Catlin...its gorgeous !!! yes please post one when done. Just love it.
  • 12 years ago
    Gail, yes, the sofa is slipcovered in denim. Very comfy, and instantly less formal. I like oriental area rugs because they add pattern and warmth and are, to me, timeless. My daugther agrees with you. She doesn't like them either. We just picked out carpets for her new house--dhurries and a big, bold floral hooked rug for her front porch. To each her own, right?
  • 12 years ago
    After all the turkey and ham, and all the forensic evidence my 4 y/o granddaughter left on the sliding glass door, my bed is my favorite.
  • 12 years ago
    wow not many people liking the oversize lamp!.I feel quite the opposite...I think it is it's sheer size and boldness that creates such a stunning wow factor...without it, the room is nothing.
  • 12 years ago
    I love the warmth of the color purple and the sense of royalty it brings to the room as well as the chandelier. I like the fireplace too but I think the mirror may be a little large but all in all I would take this room in a heartbeat!
  • 12 years ago
    Bought this Armoire in the early 90s. Found it in an old barn full of antiques. It was taken apart and stacked behind a couple others. Wanted one that was not fussy with simple lines. Once we got it home we found a part of a german newspaper glued on the back. When we built our new home we had the builder widen the hall to accommodate this favorite antique.
  • 11 years ago

    My bakers cabinet, all pine, filled with my majolica collection.


  • 11 years ago

    I have several favorite pieces of furniture that are in my late parents' home where my daughters and I are establishing an organic farm. Here in the house I live in (since 1970) I'd vote for the 1936 Wedgewood gas range I bought from eBay for my 1930s kitchen. My daughters love it too, though it has no previous family connection.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    All piece of furniture are very nice.
    Specially the first one. Looking very nice.

    I love purple color.

    I also paint my room with purple color.

  • 11 years ago
    This pier mirror from the mid 1800s. It was probably in a home during the civil war that was destroyed by fire because it has smoke and heat damage on the back of it. I was working on a restoration job with a master restorer, John Sansbury, and he taught me how to gold leaf. We stripped the mirror and for the gesso on it and he died while lobster diving in Florida. So I gold leafed it by myself and then antiqued and shellacked it. So proud of the way it turned out and I have a lot of great memories.
  • 11 years ago
    Here's a better picture didn't realize it wasn't enlarged.
  • 11 years ago

    Tammy, if you tap or click on them, they will enlarge. Beautiful and regal!