Software
Houzz Logo Print
rechy_kaufman

What color should I paint my front door?

12 years ago
My house feels very choppy right now. I plan to do some landscaping in the spring that will cover up some of the brick. But for now what color shld I paint my door so that it coordinates well with my siding and my brick??

Comments (74)

  • 12 years ago
    SW Tricorn black
  • 12 years ago
    SW tanager
  • 12 years ago
    SW jonquil
  • 12 years ago
    SW decisive yellow
  • 12 years ago
    SW espalier
  • 12 years ago
    SW foggy day. Kind of close to you siding color. It's too nondescript, there's no life or contrast or interest. Please reconsider matching door to siding :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like splits best when the house is all one color. It deemphasizes the top heavy look. But, it sounds as if you just painted or not inclined to paint.

    I would paint all the white the body color of the house, except the window frames and the door, which could be a darker gray (on the same strip as the house color).

    NO shutters (as it is a contemporary ranch, not a cottage or Colonial).

    If you were repainting and keeping the brick as is, I would paint the siding a tone of the brick.

    If you were painting the brick I would do this:
    Whole House Green · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    SW husky orange
  • 12 years ago
    SW rainstorm
  • 12 years ago
    SW ionian
  • 12 years ago
    I say cherry wood door and sidelights or if you prefer to paint, auburn-orange color
  • 12 years ago
    SW auric
  • 12 years ago
    SW bitter chocolate
  • 12 years ago
    SW burgundy
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    iamjudy- as much as you would probably like to redo this posters interior as well, I propose we stick with the request of THE FRONT DOOR !! ;))
  • 12 years ago
    WOW mforr you are on a door color ferris wheel, can we see white please? ;))
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Ha!ha! Offering paint ideas for everything BUT the front door.
    Mforr your renderings are so helpful. I love the gray exterior, there are several colors that'll look great on the door. The gray and brown, not very exciting. Go with the black, orange, rainstorm or tanager. Great suggestion with the shutters Mforr!
  • 12 years ago
    Bright white?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    BTW don't let anyone talk you into painting your brick.
  • 12 years ago
    This is SW extra white, hard to cover the existing color with the white with this tool :)
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks mforr- I would pass on white.
  • 12 years ago
    I was going to suggest the fired brick color, but I see mforr beat me to it!

    I actually think the shutters would be nice in the same color as I don't think this house is truly a ranch or anything particular style for that matter (and therefore, not "wrong.") The shutters will break up the horizontal lines and tie the door color and top part of the house together.
  • 12 years ago
    U guys don't like the idea of the same color as the siding???? Coz I already brought the paint :(
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    definitely a dark blue--something like rainstorm. Or if you're feeling really fun, rainstorm shutters and husky orange door.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Rachel, it's more important that you like it. We can all make suggestions that you may or may not like. But you need to be happy with it. I posted a color that was quite close to your siding color, I believe it was foggy day. Do you like the way it looks? Because that will give you a pretty good idea of what it will look like. If you want to go by popular consensus, red seems to be most popular with the different posters.
    But we only want to help you to get what you want. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Rachel are you asking if we don't like the door painted the same as the siding? My answer would be no, I don't. The door is like the face of the house. To paint it the same it doesn't stand out. I am sorry you bought paint already. I thought you were asking for suggestions before you bought paint.
  • 12 years ago
    Rachel- if you already bought the paint, why are you asking now? A good time to ask might be before you buy the paint. I think I need a snack, I am getting testy LOL
  • 12 years ago
    When I asked I hadn't brought it yet! Then one poster posted a pix with the blue door and I liked the look so I had them buy it right away.. And then everybody else started posting all these great ideas!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You will rarely get a unanimous consensus on Houzz, sometimes you have got to go with your gut. The front door should reflect YOU- are you all foggy and gray or are you all happy and yellow? The front door should make you smile. It is the first impression of your home. Gray- I hope not;(
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Perhaps they can exchange it? Or deepen it to a bluer color like the rainstorm? Out of all the colors shown, which do you actually like the most?
  • 12 years ago
    Well your first post was only 4 hours ago. It usually takes me that long to just get off Houzz...
  • 12 years ago
    I like this one
  • 12 years ago
    But next time, just buy sample sizes and try out several to see what you like.
  • 12 years ago
    Ok that was the first one posted, by Rina, and we don't have the name. But the good thing is, if you matched the siding, all you need to do is have them tint it darker. Because it's just a stronger, darker version of the siding.
  • 12 years ago
    Ok great! I'll have him show me a sample before he paints the entire thing and if its too light I'll tell him to make it a bit darker. Thanx all for your help!
  • 12 years ago
    You're welcome, good luck and I hope you might consider the shutters. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Definitely deep red. Houses should have 3 colors, siding, trim, doors and shutters.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would go with a brick red or even a brighter red to tie together the brick in the bottom of the house.
  • 12 years ago
    I will chime in for any deep dark red. Will tie the siding to the brick and make things look less choppy.
  • 12 years ago
    Good morning world. I'm so happy you liked the grey, Rachel, but yes, it does need to be considerably darker than the walls to work. I like that it brings the grey down to ground level, and "locks" the two pieces of the house, and the house to the ground. You can have a wonderful time bringing colour into the garden. It will sing against that. You move fast, by the way. But oh, Mforr, you did sterling work on the renderings! You are a doughty woman!
  • 12 years ago
    :) Rina :)
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Rina should I make 50% darker then the siding or 75%?
  • 12 years ago
    Rachel...get a sample pot of both and then decide. :)
  • 12 years ago
    When I saw your post I realized you have almost the exact house plan as I do. Yours does look more modern than mine though. We have only had this house for a little over a month so we haven't done anything to the outside yet, except clean the siding & fence. (Pictures are before the cleaning.) We aren't going to do anything else outside until spring because of weather & we still have so much to do inside. The first things we plan to do in Spring are paint the door (dark gray I think), replace the light fixture, and get rid of those ugly bushes in front of the house.

    We do have black shutters & a white door. Our siding is a lighter color than yours, but I thought it could help you to see what that looks like. Personally, I don't like shutters. I think unless they are actual working shutters, they are a waste. Unfortunately, I can't remove mine because that would leave holes in my siding. Maybe to fill the void in your house that others mentioned you could get a small tree or something to add to your landscaping. I like how a lot of newer homes have wider window trim and no shutters. Yours kinda has that look.

    I think someone else mentioned it, but if you want your door darker than the paint you bought the store can re-tint it, usually free of charge. Depending on how much you bought, go ahead and put one coat on it, if you don't like it-change it.
  • 12 years ago
    Hello Rachel. 75%, I think. You want it to be definite, not wishy washy. I do so like your house, by the way. And I vote for the shutters -- which should at least look as though they are closeable, and preferably be so, because they would echo the three-part structure of the window on the right. This thread is big fun. Thank you.
  • 11 years ago

    I like the sw fired brick. I think it ties in nicely with the brick of the house wall and helps unify the facade and also breaks up the too strong horizontal lines. The darker shutters keep it from looking too "matchy,\- matchy"


  • 11 years ago
    Old post
  • 11 years ago
    I would paint it black.
  • 11 years ago
    Rachael.

    You do have a nice home. I think the outside should be painted with other colors to complement the brick. I would also remove the shutters. The combination in this picture would be nice.
  • 5 years ago

    Black door would go with square or oval picture window ...love the top exterior color on the house what is that