Software
Houzz Logo Print
sunnydaze21

Paint suggestions needed!

12 years ago
I need some paint suggestions for our new living room. We have the wood trim throughout the house The living room is quite lofty with vaulted ceilings leading directly into the entry way. I am drooling over blues and greens and blue-ish greens but having a hard time trying to find something that won't make the room darker and won't look like a nursery. SW Sea Salt is a favorite color of mine, do you think it would look good as a color that will take up a living room and entry way space? Do you have any suggestions that I might be able to explore? I was also considering painting the mantle a cream color. I have attached a picture of the mantle and will add pics of the other side of the room tonight. We just moved in so we are still trying to find art pieces for the wall. Hard for me to feel inspired when the wall color is so blah. Thanks for your help!

Comments (9)

  • 12 years ago
    Shirry Dolgin · More Info


    I was thinking something like this ^
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Agreed, the fireplace wall could make a great accent wall.
    sunnydaze21 thanked Dytecture
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you both. After looking at the picture I think I need to lower the clock a ft or so. An accent wall would be amazing.
  • 12 years ago
    Blues in the blue green family are going to make your wood feel a lot more rustic / but it has nice chunky pottery barn rustic lines so I think that is a good thing. Don't paint out the mantel and don't paint just one wall. For grownup rooms, the trick is to select a muted tone with more gray in it - go look at the ben moore color gallery on line they have the best blue-greens, narrow for green and then blue and take a look. Once you narrow, you can usually google images for different colors and get successful room colors displayed. This way you will feel more confident. Add more lamps to solve the lighting issue - open curtains during the day, etc. You can get a pale muted sophisticated blue-green-gray that wows you.
    sunnydaze21 thanked libradesigneye
  • 12 years ago
    You might want to pick your artwork first and match the paint color up to that. It's easier to find a nice match that way for a cohesive look, other than painting the walls and then trying to find artwork that will match with the paint color. Also, think about what mood you want to establish for the room. Certain paint colors make a room feel different than others. The deeper blue-greens give a more formal ambient feeling, which would be beautiful for your space. Another thing to consider is your lighting in the room. Different types of lighting show the color differently. This is why it's important to test the color in your space first. Try painting a piece of poster board or a large area of the wall. Remember that natural daylight will always show the truest color. Lastly, consider how the color of the wall will flow from room to room. I hope this helps. I think the sea salt color you're thinking of using would look absolutely gorgeous in this room. I would paint a section of the wall or a couple of walls to see how it looks with your lighting. Good luck with your room. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
    sunnydaze21 thanked Melissa Headrick
  • 12 years ago
    Thank You Libradesigneye - I definitely don't want it to look more rustic than it is with all that wood trim. I think SW Sea Salt might be the way to go. It's a gray-blue.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Mheadrick! I love the images you attached. Very modern yet still classic. I'll try Sea Salt this weekend and see how it works. Stay tuned ;)
  • 12 years ago
    Did you ever paint with Sea Salt? We had our foyer/hallways done in SW Sea Salt, and used SW Comfort Gray in the Great Room, DR & Kitchen. It's the next one darker than Sea Salt. There's enough gray that our art looks great against it. We used beige tones in the carpet and upholstered pieces.