Software
Houzz Logo Print
materi8

14 years ago
What is everyones opinion on wood flooring for a mudroom? Is it suitable or is slate/tiling a better choice? I want to use a hard wood and i believe it will hold up well. Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.
Sue De Chiara's home · More Info

Comments (22)

  • 14 years ago
    Use slate or tile
  • 14 years ago
    Hard wood is warm and inviting in a mudroom especially if the adjoining room(s) are wood as well, creating a nice flow. But you need to be the kind of person who won't freak out when it starts to show a little 'patina'. I'd use a water repellant finish and wipe up moisture immediately - but then, I'd probably break it in with rollerskates and a couple huge dogs too, just because I like that 'lived on' look!
  • 14 years ago
    It's a matter of climate. All the entrances into my home have hardwood flooring, but it's rare that we track in snow, ice or mud. Having covered entries give us a place to stomp and wipe our shoes before entering. A good wool rug will catch a great deal of the outside contaminents.
  • 14 years ago
    I have a friend who loves hardwood too (who doesn't) and when she re-did her house, everything, from the kitchen to the powder room, was hardwood. EXCEPT for the mudroom! We live in Canada and the floors can become ruined very quickly so I recommend a slate or tile floor. Regardless of where you live, the mud room is one of those rooms in the house that just becomes dirty- and hardwood floors don't look appealing with a layer of grime on them.
    Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    Put in a heated stone floor. Just like Sara Richardson did on HGTV Sara's House ( the farm house )
  • 14 years ago
    I used "used brick" I love it. Shows nothing and is neutral like the wood. The rest of my house is wood including the bathroom.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Along with others who have posted it truly depends on your environment and climate. Living in So Cal almost all my clients do their mudrooms in hardwood because they are typically off the garage and on the main floor of the house. However, for my clients that have small children, and/or pets they are doing a nice tile which can be sealed and cleaned easily. I've attached a photo of a home we recently finished with a tiled mudroom floor.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for all the responses guys! I really appreciate it.
  • 14 years ago
    we have wood floors but I would suggest tile or something that is easier to clean.
  • 14 years ago
    We have hard wood, but with 3 kids and snow (MN) I am going to put in tile or slate. Love the look but it's just not practical even with rugs.
  • 14 years ago
    I have slate in my mudroom and it's both gorgeous and practical! No regrets.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Put down what will work with the look you are trying to achieve
    However, for easy maintenance, there are awesome vinyl wood grain flooring that can't be beat - You have seen them at supermarkets - usually in their vegetable department - gives you the warmth, and very durable and extemely easy to clean
    another idea- I used the rubber flooring in my mud room - product from Johnsonite - this is another commercial flooring - with many colors - you usually see this in commerical buildings, on stairways - but using a designer color, that they offer - gives a fresh look to an institutional product. I always get compliments on the rubber tiles in my mudroom
  • 14 years ago
    I would you vinyl wood planks to get the best of both worlds
  • 14 years ago
    I agree w lefty, use heated stone floor. Slate would be beautiful and durable!
  • 14 years ago
    There is tile now that looks like wood. Is very realistic. I was thinking about eventually using it in a kitchen.
  • 14 years ago
    Bamboo would be a good option, it absorbs moisture very well, and it looks great!
  • 14 years ago
    tile will out last all other products
  • 14 years ago
    I have beautiful wide plank flooring (stained dark) throughout my entire house but in the mudroom put 12x12 terra cotta tiles on the diagonal. Thought the transition would be weird but it actually helps establish the room as something different. Everyone comments on how great it looks and as the most heavily trafficked room, I'm thrilled with the practicality.
  • 14 years ago
    As much as I love wood flooring, I agree with most of you, tile might seem the most practical option for a mudroom.
  • 14 years ago
    Do you need an installer? I have been installing for 28 years
  • 12 years ago
    We took out the hardwood b/c our boys are constantly coming w/wet& muddy& snowy clothes & shoes. We replaced w/tile that has a wood grain finish. This has been a great& practical change for us in a snowy Wisconsin winter!