Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbjake0

Kitchen remodel help

bbjake0
10 years ago
Hi guys, I posted about this before and need some more advice and ideas.

I have someone coming out next week to paint my kitchen cabinets and I can't decide if I want to go white (w/ antique glaze) or go dark(not black; expression brown maybe?)

I like both (maybe the white/antique a bit more) but I'm worried that painting them white will blend too much since they touch the ceiling, but am not convinced so, I'm turning to you guys for help:)

After the cabinets I'll be changing the counters, adding a backsplash, changing the lights and wall color. Sooner than later I hope.

I attached some pics.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Jacob

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Acclaim Renovations and Design
    10 years ago
    I would suggest the white with antique glaze. We did a job where the client had darker cabinet and chose to go with a antique white it opened the space and looks so pretty with flooring. Check out the pics.
    Kitchen · More Info
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    We had some cabinets, thankfully now gone to the great dumpster in the sky, that we had painted an off white (Porter Paints, Sailcloth) a few years back. They looked great at first then the smudges, drips etc. really started to show. If you have enough natural light or good lighting then I would definitely look into an espresso color. Since you said you're changing your counter tops soon, then you could go with a lighter counter.
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Jacob, Congrats on your kitchen remodel.

How was your initial budgeting, and how did it compare to the final cost ? Could you keep us updated here --

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/over-or-under-budget-dsvw-vd~730577
  • bbjake0
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ill keep updates and post before and afters.

About the white, was there any type of stain or clearcoat over the white paint? I'm hoping regardless of color it holds up against stains and cleans up okay
  • mamadubbs
    10 years ago
    I would think if the cabinets have a proper top coat, keeping them clean should be easy whether they're white or brown.

Just a quick suggestion if you plan to paint. When we prepared our home to sell, our painter said we should paint the under side of the soffit above the cabinets the wall color - not white like the ceiling. This way it is a continuation of the wall and not a second ceiling. This could also help with your concern of having white cabinets up to a white ceiling.

It's hard to see in the picture of our old kitchen below because our wall color was so light, but it did help with the overall look. Good luck with your project. Can't wait to see updated pics!
  • bbjake0
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Man o man.

I'm not too sure what do at this point, lol
  • mamadubbs
    10 years ago
    You said you like antique white better, so go with that. White is a popular color and I doubt it would be if it was harder to keep clean. Just make sure your painter does a protective top coat. I think the antique glaze will be beautiful. What type of counters will you be installing in the future?
  • bbjake0
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do I'm just not sure about painting the selling that hangs lower, it's pretty deep/wide
  • bbjake0
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ceiling****
  • PRO
    Victoria Strong Mfg.
    10 years ago
    I like white. Maybe if you have the option, add a nice door like this one we did for one client. If you don't have the space, I think white is the way to go! It will keep your kitchen bright :)
  • bbjake0
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love how that looks, can you post more of the kitchen cabinets??
  • PRO
    Victoria Strong Mfg.
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately this is the only one we have of the kitchen as we put in the door ourselves, not the cabinets :(
  • bbjake0
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh I see. Well it looks great
  • Jenny Lai
    10 years ago
    I would go with white and judging from your gut you think so as well. I don't think it would blend since you have it a different color (yellow). Even if it did blend it would just make your cabinets look taller and not chopped off. The white will also open up and make your space brighter than it already is. Just remember to clean up any spills or drips and there shouldn't be much of an issue keeping them clean. If you really want espresso, maybe only paint the island that color? I've seen many photos on houzz that have different color cabinets and island. Good luck, can't wait to see the after photos!
  • mamadubbs
    10 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/550569

Better example of lower ceiling painted the wall color
  • mamadubbs
    10 years ago
  • bbjake0
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The only difference is, those are nearly flush with the cabinets.

The ceiling above my microwave comes out much further than the cabinets.
    Hmmm
  • mamadubbs
    10 years ago
    I see your concern. IMO it would help the cabinets pop instead of blend in if the soffit is all one color. Either way, can't wait to see your new kitchen!