Software
Houzz Logo Print
nica93

I need help on filling an empty corner in my living room!

12 years ago
I have a sectional with a chaise along my window but the opposite corner next to my entertainment console is empty. I need ideas on what to put there.

Comments (73)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    First: do your window treatments - to the floor. This will drastically effect your perception of this corner. All the suggestions will work. It will boil down to preference. I would love to see a chair with the following criterion - Armless, Exposed wood legs in a contrasting finish to the media cabinet, Tall, somewhat narrow, patterned fabric. If you do a plant, make it TALL and put it in a lovely container of some kind, NOT a basket. Pottery, metal, etc. The things to be conscious of are scale and proportion, regardless of which direction you go. RE: the lamp table. (it looks like an accent table and is really too small to hold an appropriately scaled lamp of any kind) Eliminate the table lamp and use this table in conjunction with a floor lamp, which would also give you some surface for necessary things like a drink glass, book, etc. The room has a real lack of functional surface. As for grommets complementing your window style: ?????????? Grommets would be PERFECT with your furniture style and would reference the hardware on the media cabinet. You have a really good foundation going. It will look terrific when you make these final tweaks. Have fun!
    nica93 thanked Daniel Dionne Designs llc
  • 12 years ago
    Something like this might work. Just put a tray or tile on the window ledge for coffee and hanging light. Perfect spot.

    Farmhouse Bedroom · More Info

    Upstairs Library · More Info

    Rustic Chic Masculine Bedroom Design · More Info
    nica93 thanked Dar Eckert
  • nica93 thanked nikitasmom
  • 12 years ago
    Definitely agree with curtains, but with a big, graphic print- maybe chevron? Think of room like your outfit- ala' Clinton and Stacy from What NotTo Wear- COLOR, PATTERN, TEXTURE, SHINE- missing some pattern and shine ( metallic)- and maybe accent punch of color....
    nica93 thanked ladymayor
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Completely agree with ladymayor. This room is completely devoid of pattern. Maybe a couple additional patterned pillows on the sectional also. Two different ones, not a pair.
    nica93 thanked Daniel Dionne Designs llc
  • 12 years ago
    Any curtain suggestions?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think that ladymayor gave you the perfect guidelines. Since you are building on a foundation of neutrals, go with colors that you like and that will also work with adjacent spaces. Panels on short poles. Mount them 1" from the ceiling and take them to 1/2" from the floor. I actually liked an earlier recommendation of grommet-ed panels.
    nica93 thanked Daniel Dionne Designs llc
  • 12 years ago
    I appreciate everyone's comments. Thank you. I actually purchased the curtains suggested in an earlier post and did not like them. The color was very drab looking and did nothing for the room. I think I'm going to find a nice patterned curtain to add a pop of fabric and texture :)
  • 12 years ago
    think the plant alone is great idea. Should always have some nature around.
    nica93 thanked poolboys
  • 12 years ago
    This corner screams for something 'living'. I agree an airy palm would be sublime and would maintain the uncluttered look. I know everyone is going for drapes to the floor, however, my feeling is unless the windows go to the floor the drapes simply do not look right. If you ever rearrange, bringing a two-seater couch kitty-korner mid-window would also allow for great reading, or tea time area with the brightness.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I don't appreciate the notion that we need to 'fill' space. Negative/empty space serves a purpose also. Who likes to sit in a lonely chair stuck in the corner? I agree that window coverings would partially solve the empty corner space and they would also add some texture and movement to the overall look
    nica93 thanked Jennifer Kaplan
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with Jennifer that negative space most definitely fills a purpose. It is the necessary counterpoint of shape. It is the reason I recommended doing drapery before anything else, so you will then know how much further to take it. Here, I do feel like a bit more may be needed.
    nica93 thanked Daniel Dionne Designs llc
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Full-height patterned curtains with nice hold-backs then a cream painted purpose-made low bookcase with a table lamp on the top with a couple of nice photos in frames sitting next to it.
  • 12 years ago
    Further to adding window treatments, why not use an antique table on the end of the sofa as part of that grouping. People need spaces to put their drinks, for example. A lamp would work well on the table also. Good luck
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with greenery! In this line of work, we call that area "dead space" and based on how neutral you have kept the room and the colors- A tall (artificial) Palm Plant will go a LONG way! It will liven up the space- adding texture, color, and most importantly a fill-er for the space.
    nica93 thanked Valerie
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes to drapery panels. No to tie backs. Too traditional. Let them hang straight. I like Jennifer's table suggestion also.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would find a beautiful pot and a tall plant, in my opinion that will work the best. It is always good to a have a natural plant and in your case it needs it. Other options as mentioned above a floor lamp, a side chair or a tall sculpture.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think once you have your curtains installed, you'll find that you don't need to add anything to that corner. I don't believe in getting things just to "fill" an empty space. Everything in your home should be useful or loved. If it's not useful or loved, it's not needed.
  • 12 years ago
    A lovely tall plant or tall decorative vase is always a sure way to fill in and round out any corner. :)
  • 12 years ago
    an additional note with regards to 'filling in' space ... As a modern feng shui decorator I agree that not all spaces need to be filled - however, to create good energy flow it's important to round out corners when possible. Leaving this space empty would create a stagnant energy pocket.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Definitely a tall plant. You need the indefinite shape and the leaves will create interesting shadows. Placing a plant uplight on the floor behind it would add some drama.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    How about a bean bag chair? www.heavenlybeanbags.com. Our fabric and color selection is pretty much limitless - I just chose the animal prints because of the black television.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    That kind of corner is definitely the place I would put a plant...the question is, what kind of plant. You do have a window there, to provide light. However, consider the angle at which light enters through that window, and consider the light-cutting effect of drapery hanging at the side - you'll see that there's not going to be a lot of light in that corner against the wall. You're going to need a medium to low light plant. Taking into account your probable level of experience in live plant care, you also need an easy plant. I think a Dracaena massangeana (the Mass cane, or corn plant), 5 to 6 feet tall, would work well for you here. You could also use the Dracaena cousins, Janet Craig or Warneckei, but the Mass cane is easier to find. If you can't find one in a local plant store (I personally prefer dealing with small privately owned places to the big-box stores,) you can ask them to order you one. Or you can contact a near-by Interior Landscaping company to see if they'll sell you one.

    As for care, the most important thing is to let the soil aerate (dry) to the point where you feel the barest amount of moisture in it, down near the bottom of the pot. Here's a video that will tell you more about soil testing
    and here's one that talks about watering


    Choose a special container that will echo the style of your interior, or accent your color scheme. Set your plant into it, grow pot and all. This is called double-potting, and allows you to water properly and also to replace the plant easily if it doesn't do well. More about double-potting at


    To make sure your plant will fit the container, take an empty pot with you of the same size that your plant is in. Ask for one when you get your plant. Or have the plant provider help you select a container.

    If you're thinking about getting a plant and would like more specific advice, please visit me at my blog http://theficuswrangler.blogspot.com/
  • 12 years ago
    A house plant would be moat beautiful...plants go great with pastle colors...theyr also a good way to keep the air in ur home fresh
  • 12 years ago
    Coffee table or mini bookcase
  • 12 years ago
    a tall plant in a spectacular planter
  • 12 years ago
    What about moving your console slightly to the left, lining the right side up with the right side of the t.v. Add a table lamp to the left side of the console--large enough to offset the space left of the t.v...once you add your curtains this will fill the space nicely, giving added light to that side of the room, and making a little more seating room around your table. Would definitely do floor to ceiling curtains. It will make your ceilings feel like they are higher, especially with those gorgeous windows
  • 12 years ago
    A beautiful tall plant would work well as there is a window close by
  • 12 years ago
    Love your tiny puppy on the sofa! I'm not a fan of indoor plants. I think a stylish floor lamp is a good idea. Some patterned cushions were a great suggestion too, not patterned curtains. It is a lovely room :o)
  • 12 years ago
    Agree with Daniel ... put your drapes up first, then decide on the corner. You may not need anything at all.
  • 12 years ago
    Plantation shutters are a wonderful option that will show off the nice shape of your windows. Angle slats to adjust the light entering the room or close completely for privacy.
  • 12 years ago
    I woke Christmas morning to a big giant pinball machine in my living room that still didn't make it's way down to our basement. This is only the tip of the iceberg with my husband's shenanigans.
  • 12 years ago
    Oops posted on the wrong discussion. I do like the idea of the drapes and maybe add a leather floor pouf to fill the space without visually conflicting with the TV.
  • 12 years ago
    A pretty plant stand with a Swedish Ivy plant {low maintenance}, an orchid in bloom, English ivy, or another house plant. Plants are pretty and improve the air quality in a room.
  • 12 years ago
    Floor plant absolutely. That room would benefit from something organic.
  • 12 years ago
    A live full flower plant will do the magic.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Susiemason, if I may ask, why aren't you a fan of indoor plants? Just trying to understand a differing viewpoint. Also re: flowering plants, I'm afraid there's not enough light in this spot for one.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Ficus Wrangler. I like my plants outside. Just a personal thing of not liking the look of plants inside. Also they're tricky to dust and too much to look after. Thanks, Susie
  • 12 years ago
    I don't dust my plants I just give them a shower but to each their own.
  • 12 years ago
    A built in wall unit with shelves and storage under the shelves. I know a great trim carpenter who is really reasonable.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I definitely think that you should add some lush greenery in a gorgeous decorative platner. Green goes with everything ;)
  • 12 years ago
    I really like your windows. I'm not sure why you want to add curtains. I think a tall plant in a nice pot is the simplest answer. I agree with others about getting a bigger accent table, with a floor lamp behind it rther than a using a table lamp.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry Saratoga, the dusting comment was tongue in cheek. Susie.
  • 12 years ago
    i would put a bookcase or a little chair earlier i had the same problem so i got a screen folding divider and a plant to go in front of it
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Tall lamp/lighting feature or plant near the window. The TV looks 4"or 6" too high.
  • 12 years ago
    Use the designers stand by with a plant real or high quality silk would look wonderful!
  • 12 years ago
    Yes to color/print for drapes--need some zing to your room. Throw pillows to coordinate with drapes, larger side table, and then keep it simple in the corner. A tall plant or a tall decorate vase. You're set!
  • 12 years ago
    The corner will fade once drapes are in place. Use those to increase the color/pattern quotient.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I definitely love some greenery - I love the "fake" trees we use with some Christmas lights, just for fun! You can also add a vinyl expression... something that speaks to you and to your family. There are SO many to choose from, or design your own, based on a favorite quote or saying. This photo shows a great shape/idea!
  • 11 years ago
    That corner looks like it could handle more than one plant, a trio would look great. Try to use different shaped / complimentary pots. Another idea is something caddy-corner. We have a room I had no idea what to do with. Unplanned, it became a game / puzzle / entertainmemt room we call the "front room.". Forgot, you can never go wrong with a floor lamp. Take a look at my images
Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus