Software
Houzz Logo Print
sfigu16

Help me decorate my kitchen/dining area!

12 years ago
Happy Friday Houzzers!
I need advice on how to decorate my kitchen/dining area. I am a college student living in a cute little apartment but i think it need some color and some cool patterns but still look elegant if possible.

Comments (30)

  • 12 years ago
    Is it possible i could put an island in the middle?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    A great piece of art above the sink ... you could change out the cabinet handles to something modern/shiny.

    A large area rug in front of the sink, fridge & stove that color coordinates with the art OR an area rug under the dining table.

    A small, elegant chandelier over your table would look nice. If it's in your budget, maybe a round table with 4 chairs or you could have an L-shaped bench and a small rectangle table.

    I guess we need to know what your budget is first ...
  • 12 years ago
    Budget would be around 500? I like to do a lot of DYI too;) I have been wanting a L shaped bench actually.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Small artwork behind the sink, and larger behind the table and and square area rug that would fill most of the space in the middle would add some color. Some colored jars, coordinating with the artwork on the counter would tie it together, along with flowers in a vase on the table.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Warner! I love the last picture! I think it would absolutely make the kitchen colorful
  • 12 years ago
    @Evansa, i never thought about using a larger rug
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I hate rugs in the kitchen, you can trip on them very easily. If you wand an island why not try for one on wheels with room for a couple of stools. If you are a little handy you could make one out of a couple of cabinets and a topThis could then be where your table is with that great piece of art on that wall. I agree changing the hardware will give a little pop.How about a fun mirror over the sink.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Sorry meant to send pic of island idea.
  • 12 years ago
    I love that Patricia! I was thinking about putting a mirror there too
  • 12 years ago
    If you want that island in middle. You can get a small wood block cart.
  • 12 years ago
    A roman shade for the window would look great. You could DIY or buy one and add ribbon detail or stencil a print. Stick on tiles for Backsplash.
  • 12 years ago
    Ebay is a great resource for furnishings - I actually sold an island for a miniscule fraction of the cost on there!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Carpet and Art were my instant thoughts as well,

    I actually have a large wool carpet in my kitchen! Who would think? but it wears wonderfully... I purchased it on sale years ago for $199.00... I even clean it with my carpet cleaning machine using cold water, and a quarter of the solution called for! (I do not recommend this to anyone- I just got lucky) and it still looks great.... No tripping issues... and there is 6 of us!

    World Market and the like always have stylish rolling islands... (especially close to the holidays) and you can get an inexpensive one there... or try an online retailer... you may be putting it together, but it will come complete with a top.

    You have some good ideas, Good luck!
    .
  • 12 years ago
    I think you should paint the brown cupboards white. Keep it fresh and to match the white cooker, fridge etc. Add flowers, art work, pictures, cool accessories. Hope this helps
  • 12 years ago
    This is an apartment!
  • 12 years ago
    happyleg, I know. its mine!
  • 12 years ago
    I meant that you can't paint the cabinets.
  • 12 years ago
    Haha oh I know: ( I need to make it work somehow right?!
  • 12 years ago
    No island not enough room put wall art on the wall closest to the table and get steel appliances if you wanna paint go with red
  • 12 years ago
    Get rid of the rug
  • 12 years ago
    Runner rug?
  • 12 years ago
    Apologies wasn't sure if you owned this apartment. If you did then painting the cupboards wouldn't matter.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It's hard to tell from the image but it looks like there is no backsplash. I would paint on a backsplash in a color you like (semi or full gloss).
    Go to garage sales and Craigslist to look for interesting art to put in the wall in the dining area, you can also print a photo on a canvas and hang it there (Shutterfly or a similar service).
    All this should be well within your budget if you DIY.
    As for the island, IKEA has a few free standing, portable islands. Once again, CL is your friend. Shop responsible ;)
    sfigu16 thanked SoCal Contractor
  • 12 years ago
    Socal, i was thinking about using a stencil to give some color to my kitchen!
  • 12 years ago
    Are you allowed to paint?
  • 12 years ago
    Target & walmart have the non-sticky decals kind of like wall paper. You remove whenever you need.
  • 12 years ago
    You can put above cabinets or a wall.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    http://www.houzz.com/pro/akearney/annette-kearney
    COLOR

    get paintings, posters etc. Go to IKEA for colorful containers, posters,baskets.