Software
Houzz Logo Print
kramling

Need help: post in the middle of the room

12 years ago
I don't like the post in the middle of the room, what can be done with it? Maybe build a shelf around it?

Comments (40)

  • 12 years ago
    I had a room with a post once and built a bookcase room divider around it. Great for anchoring the bookcase too :)
    kramling thanked rinked
  • 12 years ago
    i thought about it myself, too. probably only the width of the armchair or should it be wider?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Ninja kicking dummy? Street signs to Tokyo; Sochi; Istanbul; Timbucktu; Sydney; Burbank
    kramling thanked Andreson Builders
  • 12 years ago
    Armchair plus tiny sidetable.
    Streetsigns would be fun too :)
    kramling thanked rinked
  • 12 years ago
    If it were painted your dark green wall color, I don't think it would be as noticeable. Worth a try? A large plant in a basket could also be a nice distraction, if you have the light for real greenery --
    kramling thanked twinkleberry
  • 12 years ago
    This is a basement? Need more angle shots to comment please!
    kramling thanked kopertop
  • 12 years ago
    no, no basement. after seeing these pics myself, and how dark it is.. i'm thinking about smokey blue - grey colour for that wall.
  • 12 years ago
    and the 2nd pic..
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Make it the same width as the wall between window and door, so the lines are balanced out. A shelved room divider would do, but you could create something a little more artsy.
    Retro Cocina · More Info

    MacDougal Manor · More Info

    Contemporary Living Room · More Info

    GRIFFIN ENRIGHT ARCHITECTS: Benedict Canyon Residence · More Info

    Industrial Living Room · More Info

    Custom Home · More Info
    kramling thanked rinked
  • 12 years ago
    thank you, rinqreation! urban apartment living room picture is really good, fascinated by the shelf. would be perfect :) it will hide the post, but then wouldn't it be weird if it was still like how it is on the pic and not totally covered up in the back?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    have you thought about placing some wall art that is either long and thin or small on the post? here are a few ideas:
    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/walter-wooden-wall-keys-set-3/

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/keyhole-plaques-set-4/
    kramling thanked Warner Decor
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks, Warner! I have had some quite crazy ideas about the post.. even covering it up with fur, but honestly, I think I want something which is going to separate the tv room from dining room, that's why I'm more into shelf or wall idea.
  • 12 years ago
    I like your paint idea...put it towards a dove grey type even...greys are fantastic with the tones...

    The only issue I see is the loss off central floor space...if you are okay with that...I have a funky idea...if you like plants...which I always find make a home so much warmer in feel...plus they are great for the air...

    Around the post build a planter with seating all around it...storage underneath...like bench seating with cushions or something...

    Higher up the pole you could do a light or lantern...does your power ever go out? : ) ...and mirrors...someone mentioned those, as well...

    You pretty much have a blank canvas down there! Have fun!

    You
    kramling thanked kopertop
  • 12 years ago
    Just noticed you wanted the separation...still have plants in my head tho...just along the floor from the pole...instead of around the pole...if you have something that is bar height, you can also create another bar seating area on one side and a built in bench on the TV side, or daybed?

    I think everything should always do at least two things to be worthwhile : )

    And a lot of people say they don't have a green thumb, but you just need to find plants that grow well in water and whatever you want to put in them...I occasionally have gold fish, or those fighting fish...the plants keep the water pretty clean...shells and rocks in the bottom of the vase

    Mine is really overgrown right now, but I also use these outdoors in the summer...I'm about to split them out to make more

    I'm in a trailer, so my space is limited...that stool doubles as a bar chair when I have company...I have 2 in use like that

    Just trying to help kick start your imagination : )
    kramling thanked kopertop
  • 12 years ago
    Not totally covered up in the back? Uhm.. No, it will look fine when both sides are the same, the pole in the middle (somewhere off centre).
    kramling thanked rinked
  • 12 years ago
    I still like the urban apartment shelf idea. The more I think about it - the more I like it. Not bothered about losing a bit of floor space, I dislike having a post more! The shelf - it's quite funky and looks stylish, but not over the top. Maybe I can get some nice looking plants on the shelf? ;) I have two small plants in the house, pure luck they've survived as I forget to water them.
    I found a very nice colour for the wall - Mole's Breath no 276 Farrow&Ball and then bring one-two lime green objects into the room.. Yes, no?
  • 12 years ago
    You could box it out to a larger size and cover it with mirror. Boxing will help scale and reflective surface will help with room size. Great room.
    kramling thanked mrdesignguy
  • 12 years ago
    I like the mirror idea but it might look like a jc pennys. I would get some organic material and line it. like tree limbs , to the top. not sure what but bring the outdoos in.
    kramling thanked pfstone00
  • 12 years ago
    Cactus are easy for plants...these started off really small and I got to use my crystal instead of leaving it in the cupboard...and they have grown a huge about since I got them last May...that sat out on my deck all summer and I just let the weather do whatever...but I also live in the sub-arctic so we get very little precipitation

    The need about 3 tbsp of water per week...or less : )

    I find all places seem very sterile without plants (just my personal feeling)
    kramling thanked kopertop
  • 12 years ago
    You could do as the set designers did with Frazier Crane's Seattle apartment. Build a decorative wooden column atop a surrounding book case. A great way of turning a liability into an asset. Instead of books, you could merchandise with accents that reinforce the room's theme.
    kramling thanked mrdesignguy
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Lower your pictures so the bottom of the frame is no more than 8 inches above the backs of the sofas. Never hang pictures in a line with window frames or door jambs. Pictures are hung in relation to what they're over.
    kramling thanked leelee
  • 12 years ago
    The more you try to "fix" the post--the worse it will look and the more you'll call attention to it. The only thing to make it less obvious would be to paint it the same as the dark accent wall.
  • 12 years ago
    A tall thin live palm placed in front of the post would draw your eye away from post to palm.
  • 12 years ago
    Wrap it in jute cord?
    kramling thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • 12 years ago
    grr, I think it's too blue. It's meant to be grey.. can you tell?
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you Brandi Nash Hicks! I thought about it.. but then wouldn't it be.. too nautical?
  • 12 years ago
    I think the idea of jute is a good" bring the outside in" no not too nautical, natural and the color of the jute will go with the colors of the dafa and pillows
    kramling thanked pfstone00
  • 12 years ago
    maybe you aren't done with the grey wall but the bottom needs moulding or some finish. Hey, maybe jute? just thinkin
    kramling thanked pfstone00
  • 12 years ago
    while Im at it the jute would soften the post and make it look round.
    kramling thanked pfstone00
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You might consider adding a beam and removing the post. Not sure if your ceiling height will allow. Is this a basement? What is the ceiling height?

    http://www.elmwoodreclaimedtimber.com/products/wood-beams

    Examples Below

    Good Luck!

    The Cinque Team
    kramling thanked Cinque Contracting
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yikes!I don't know what you have decided but thought I'd add to your confusion by the following; Add a second column in line with the first along the Bar area. Place it so that it is the same distance into the bar area from the wall as the existing one is.
    Now you have some choices. From both columns mount short (maybe 18") drapery rods extending out on two sides of each column. From these rods, hang a panel of hopsack or burlap drape to the floor. At about 27" from the floor, wrap the columns with a tie made from the same material or you can use jute rope. The columns might be painted a feature color which can be repeated in an artwork or pillow. Anyway the idea is that you've built an imaginary line dividing the Bar area from the TV area.
    kramling thanked Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
  • 12 years ago
    I put the sofa back to ours with a sofa table to the left of it.
    kramling thanked houseatthelake
  • 12 years ago
    just trying out the colour, i'm not done with the wall, just one coat of paint on.. that's why it's not all perfect.
  • 12 years ago
    I can't remove the post and can't add a beam.. and definitely don't want to add another post.. dislike this one that much.. :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You can have your contractor recess it into the ceiling or paint it grey to go away
  • 12 years ago
    I really like mrdesignguy idea. Go with another post to the left and add shelves. I would also paint them grey like in his pic.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It's a bummer having a column in an inconvenient location. The best solution is either ignore it or add to it to make it an "architectural feature". The book case mrdesignguy posted is a good remedy. Which idea seems the most functional? Adding a twin column, incorporating it into a book case, or burying it in a wall all can work beautifully. So, if you could use the additional storage or, display area, shelving makes sense.
    I hope you post the results when you've solved the problem!
    kramling thanked Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
  • 12 years ago
    Another benefit of using mrdesignguy idea above is that the second post that is added can be made so it is structural also, thereby increasing the structural integrity of your home
    kramling thanked Curt D'Onofrio
  • 12 years ago
    I would make a bench that connects the column and the wall with shelves underneath, extra seating and extra storage