Software
Houzz Logo Print
clgpaulson

Better room arrangement??

12 years ago
Just got this new couch and chairs. Is there a better way to arrange this?

Comments (52)

  • 12 years ago
    Last pic.
  • 12 years ago
    Since the two new green chairs have lower backs than the rest of the furniture, I would definitely float them in the area where the couch is now with the round table between them. If at all possible, I would definitely not have the television in front of any window, so maybe it needs to go against the kitchen bar? Might have to get a lower media cabinet. And then I was thinking maybe the couch could go in front of one of the bay windows? Got any more occasional tables?
  • 12 years ago
    M3459 - interesting ideas. I don't have a lower tv stand right now, but I may try to move this when my hubby gets back. Re: the round table between the chairs - were you talking about the coffee table, or the other black round table? I will post pics when done. Thanks!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think that you need an area rug with this set of furniture:

    http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/7/millie-rug/

    http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/7/spiral-mosaic-rug/
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    like this rug,warner decor....would that be availble in a square,think it needs to be fairly big to fill out this room??
  • 12 years ago
    Ok, I rearranged the room a bit, I don't think I like this any better? As for an area rug, yes, I agree and we will be getting one, so that you for the suggestions!
  • 12 years ago
    how about moving the couch and the 2 chairs a bit away from the walls?
  • 12 years ago
    Well, the couch is away from the wall, since it's against a bay window. The living room is actually sunken, so if I move the chairs away from the step, I'm left with a weirdly awkward step in front of the brick/rock thing.
  • 12 years ago
    Also, if this arrangement stays, I would get a lower tv stand so the tv is not higher than the kitchen counter. :-)
  • 12 years ago
    clgpaulson, how would it look if you moved the two green chairs into the other bay area and moved the single chair to your brick wall area? And try the glass top table with the single chair and the smaller lamp table with the two chairs.
  • 12 years ago
    oke,now that you have mentiond it i can see that!!maybe if you live with this arrangement for a day or 2 you will know if it works for you or not..and the as you say,find another tv stand then.......and i am curious now...what is the brick/rock thing?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I'm having all sorts of cognitive dissonance with your house. It's obviously very modern in some respects--the kitchen, for one--and then there's this goofy stuff on the bar wall. And what is that brick/rock thing, anyway? Maybe you could put a lift mechanism in it and use it for the TV because you really don't have a satisfactory TV wall.

    Your new modern sofa and chairs make the floral chair and end table look frumpy. Maybe you just haven't gotten around to replacing them yet?

    Anyway, to your original question, maybe you could build the brick/rock thing to the ceiling and put the TV there.
  • 12 years ago
    Lol Carole! Well, best as we can tell, the previous owner did some remodeling. I'm guessing that at one point, my living room was separate from my kitchen, but for some reason, this brick/rock thing is all that remains! We'd love to either 1. Put in a cool fire feature there ( we'd have to put some glass around it, etc. ) or 2. Get a lift and put a tv that would raise or lower out of it.

    Problem with it now is, it ends up being a dumping ground for the kids jackets and backpacks. :-)
  • 12 years ago
    Groveraxel - yes, the floral chair is a remnant from before. Ideally I'd like a leather something in the room, but haven't found it yet. I'm open to suggestions. We don't want to build the brick thing to the ceiling. I like that it is all open when you walk in to the house.

    Here was the inspiration for the couch and chairs.
  • 12 years ago
    Just posting so I can follow progress:)
  • 12 years ago
    thought that might be something like....but a tv or a fireplace makes a lot of sense,would it be possible to put the tv there now!!then you can put the furniture as you want it ti be!!
  • 12 years ago
    Also, here are the chairs switched out.
  • 12 years ago
    Tricky room! I don't think you are going to be happy having the TV out of view from the kitchen.. I would keep the TV in it's original position (window or not). The windows and the TV are focal points, and directing the eye to the kitchen counter may be distracting. I would get a sofa table (no taller than the sofa and not too short in length), and keep the sofa in it's original position by the stone feature. The sofa table would bring the sofa closer to the other seating areas. Put the two lime chairs in the other window area- no table in between but only leave the about 6 inches apart. With the sofa closer in the room, put a side table (maybe a new square table? The pedestal table is too tall for your other furniture) in between the sofa and the green chair it is closest to- not the glass table. Keep that as a coffee table it's too large to be anything but a coffee table. Definitely get an area rug to anchor the room- I like the one you picked out, but it may clash with the pattern on the floral chair. I'd go more geometric.- and you don't have to have all the colors in it. Now for the floral chair, which I think adds the perfect touch of whimsy to the space, btw. Place it, and the nifty silver floor lamp, to the left of the TV in an angle (the corner where the kitchen counter and the bay window meet. It is the "reading nook".
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, not just watching anymore:) I like this most recent arrangement but I think the flowered chair needs a much smaller side table. Would it work to switch the round glass table with the smaller one between the pair of chairs?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like some of the ideas that m3459 has mentioned. I think the brick wall section is a planter. They used to construct them in homes.

    Your inspiration is pic is very nice, but in your room the chairs can not be opposite the sofa because I think the TV is best viewed opposite the sofa.

    I also think the TV at the bar on a lower console. The sofa opposite the TV. at the bay window. The two matching chairs at the other bay window with a table between. One chair at the brick planter, with a table. A rug to ground the space.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Wow, I clicked submit and you posted the idea I suggested .......
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think I'd switch the tables that are at the chairs. I agree with Ann, just saw your post too : )

    Switch the sofa with the two matching chairs, if you use the sofa more for watching TV? Sofa opposite the TV.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Maybe if you can get electrical to the planter, a water feature would be nice.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I also like the floral chair. Grab colors from the chair for a rug and accessories and maybe side panel drapes.
  • 12 years ago
    I would move the tv to the corner space between the two windows, on an angle. Then add the patterned chair to the left side of the bay window. Offset the green chairs a bit, slightly angling them into one another by the bar. It just needs to be softened a bit. Too many sharp angles.
  • 12 years ago
    Whew! So many great suggestions! :-). Ok, I've now moved the couch and tv back to the original spot, and I guess I don't really like it better! If I have the room arranged this way, I can't put an end table next to the couch closest to the green chairs, because there is barely enough room to walk through there anymore. I love the idea of a reading nook, but then I feel like the rest of the bar wall is super exposed and empty looking. Aargh! This is so frustrating!
  • 12 years ago
    Here are more pictures. :-)
  • 12 years ago
    How is this arrangement? Obviously, I'd need a lower tv stand, and a rug, and probably some new side tables (for the side of the green chairs? Side of the couch? Neither? Both?). Also, if I keep the floor lamp where it is, should it go behind the couch?
  • 12 years ago
    I agree that the floral chair adds a touch of whimsy - a nice counterpoint to the other furniture. You do have a very tricky room with all the windows. I like the couch opposite the TV. I like the couch "against" the rock "thingy". But you don't have room for that end table next to it. What does the end table look like next to the floral chair? You probably haven't gotten around to it - but need some "interest" on the coffee table - bottom shelf. Also, I agree with everyone - a rug will anchor the space. I think you will see that immediately. Regarding the rock "divider" - how about a wooden cover? You could use it as a sofa table then.
  • 12 years ago
    I like this most recent arrangement - especially the floral chair with the round end table and it's proximity to the red armoire. The floor lamp doesn't fit there. How about "hiding" the post of the floor lamp between the floral chair and the round end table. Use the floor lamp there as a reading lamp.
  • 12 years ago
    Posting to follow...and because I love your dog :-)
  • 12 years ago
    I like LBInteriors suggestion of panels at the window - that doesn't have to cost a lot. They will add texture and "layers" to your room.
  • 12 years ago
    Mkritt-that's Greta. :-)
  • 12 years ago
    I like the furniture in this arrangement. Could you try the rectangular end table/magazine rack with the floral chair, the dark round wood table between the green chairs and the floor lamp also between the green chairs, just behind the center of the round table?
  • 12 years ago
    I'm not sure you need more tables - I'm hoping the existing ones can find their best homes. I think you will need more lamps, but wait until you've figured out the best place to use all things that you already have and can use.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm liking the latest arrangement you have with the couch opposite the TV, as LB Interiors suggested. Can we try the little oblong table between the two green chairs? And most importantly, how are YOU liking that arrangement? If it works for you, then the fun can start with details!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree table between two green chairs like m3459 mentioned.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It makes more sense to me to flip the two chairs on the opposite side by the windows and place the one chair over by the island. You will have more room. Also, tighten up the spacing. It will make it more cozy.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Adding.... Seating areas should encourage conversation. In the photo they look too far apart. Also, your furniture looks nice and transitional. I think you need a rug to tie it all together.
  • 12 years ago
    That looks good. Imagine a lamp on the table and eventually side panels on your windows.
  • 12 years ago
    Have you tried the sofa against the bar that separates the kitchen from family room? Or is there a ledge that prohibits that? With tv on opposite window...single chair against the rock wall...2 green chairs at other window?
  • 12 years ago
    So far, this new arrangement looks the best. Can you pull the furniture away from walls more (just move everything towards the center of the room) to make a tighter seating area? Then with an area rug to pull it all together...happy family!
  • 12 years ago
    That TV is the albatross (or elephant) in the room. I don't think any seating arrangement matters until the TV is properly placed and that the best place would be the rock thingy. I understand wanting to leave it open, so what if you built a cabinet just large enough to house the TV?
  • 12 years ago
    Grover, what are the chances there are any necessary cable and electrical outlets there?
  • 12 years ago
    There is no electrical over there, we'd have to get an electrician in to run electic to that space.
  • 12 years ago
    If there's a crawlspace or a basement or a drywall ceiling under that space, running electrical and cable would be a snap.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If electrical is possible at the brick planter, then I would move the sofa opposite the brick wall in one bay window, The green chairs in front of the bar, but pulled away from it to allow for high bar stools. The bar looks quite high, so not sure if bar stools will work there. If not, pull the green chairs away from the bar to create a path behind the chairs.
  • 12 years ago
    Groveraxel - there is crawl space underneath the planter. I've been meaning to get an electrician out anyways since I have 1 (ONE) electrical outlet in my whole kitchen. It's less than ideal.

    As far as putting bar stools up to the bar, the side of the room with the planter and next to the bar have a step, it is about 4 inches deep. The height from the floor to the counter is 3'8". I'm not sure what standard bar height is, but that seems a little high to have bar stools. Maybe I'm wrong though?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Bar stools are available in several heights. Here are some from Wayfair with a guide to sizes. Probably 30" high

    http://www.wayfair.com/Buying-Guides/How-to-Choose-the-Right-Bar-Stool-Height-E587