Software
Houzz Logo Print
visionaire1

Another curbside find! How should I restore this chair?

12 years ago
Found this old chair on the sidewalk. I love the shape of it and I'd really like to bring it into this century. I'd love to hear some suggestions for how I should restore it, fabric etc. I want to use it as an occasional chair in my study which has a neutral/brown color scheme.

Comments (71)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Wow Sandy, that is a great idea! I never considered something as bold as zebra print, and seeing the room with an image of the pattern I can really visualize it. Might have to seriously consider it.
  • 12 years ago
    I totally agree with the animal print and black wood, you can always use it somewhere else if you don't like it in that room. An animal accent always looks sharp.
    visionaire1 thanked annazeva
  • 12 years ago
    gosh arent you lucky finding a treasure trove of items you can restore beautifully! well done on the last one.
  • 12 years ago
    leopard print! I love Sandy's suggestion for animal print. Or how about dots (these are both in the same house, funnily enough)
    Ft. Worth Historical Residence · More Info
    Ft. Worth Historical Residence · More Info
    visionaire1 thanked bubblyjock
  • 12 years ago
    I echo the animal print. Love Sandy G's cheetah and bubblyjock's leopard.
    (no painting of the wood). Either would make sense, as you have neutrals going on in your room. What do you favor as accent colors in this area?
    Best to you.
    visionaire1 thanked moggie73
  • 12 years ago
    Great find and Art Deco too :)

    Art Deco refurbished armchairs by Italian Vintage Sofa · More Info
    visionaire1 thanked Geneviève
  • 12 years ago
    Recover in a more modern solid fabric. Leave the wood. Good find. Do a coral.
    visionaire1 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    an animal hide such as cowhide? On trend
    visionaire1 thanked S.J. Janis Company, Inc.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    What about this cut velvet from O&L, the black and white version? So luxurious, but so expensive! Maybe it's a little too much. Still not sure whether to keep the wood or paint glossy black. Leaning towards keeping it, but I still think I need to refinish it. Sandy G said that it doesn't need to be perfect, that it gives the piece more character etc. I love that idea and I'm in no way a perfectionist, but you can't see in the photo how scratched up it is. I'll attach a better image of the leg. It's definitely seen better days.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks fsattar. funnily enough I happened to find this chair on the same street I found the other one! For anyone who didn't see my other 'design dilemma' post, the chair next to my piano was also a curbside rescue. Maybe I should quit my day job and stalk the neighborhood instead ;)
  • 12 years ago
    Great find. I would sand and refinish the wood in the same shade and do the upholstry in a heavy tan color linen or a heavy tan color raw silk where the weaving is thick and obvious, and add an interesting rectangular cushion to finish the look.
  • 12 years ago
    Lol yes why not? Go in search for all items thrown away as 'junk'? I did notice the other chair next to the piano was your last curbside find;) looks gorgeous next to the piano. Like the way your dark wood stain came out - think my chairs came out darker than yours tho that's because I had to match it up with a tv wall unit in my living too (dark mahogany).
    visionaire1 thanked fsattar
  • 12 years ago
    I looked at Pier One, World Market and Pottery Barn web sites:
  • 12 years ago
    LOVE that Osborne & Little fabric, it's luxurious and vaguely animal-printy all at once. How about seeing if your Houzz enablers can find a less $ knock-off?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    That retro fabric would certainly make for a funky chair! Just not sure how it would look in my study. Thanks bubblyjock, I'd love for you guys to help me out if you stumble across anything. That one you sent looks good. Wish it was black and white/cream. Not really digging the blue. How about this one from Ralph Lauren Home?

    http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/products/Fabric/item.aspx?haid=85&collId=196&shaid=&sort=&itemId=31875&phaid=19

    I've seen it on amazon for $50 a yard. It's just a spun polyester though not a velvet so price seems a bit steep, but hey, its Ralph Lauren. The name adds a few bucks surely.
    Do you think 2 yards would cut it for this chair? It's not all that big.

    Hopefully my dream Osborne and Little velvet will show itself on ebay for cheap with an imperfection or something. I can live with imperfections!
  • 12 years ago
    OMG, what an awesome find! I love the shape of the arms, and I concur with the folks who recommend a bold graphic or animal print. I think you can go with a fairly large scale, because a small scale pattern would not complement the sweep of the chair's arms as well, but not so large that the pattern doesn't get seen and appreciated. My first thought was large-ish polka dots for a little whimsy.
    visionaire1 thanked thriftyboho
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Really, visionaire1 - you say black and white or cream?

    Ta-daaaahhh....

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zebra-Print-Crushed-Panne-Velvet-Black-White-60-Wide-Poly-Fabric-by-the-Yard-/230794072018?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item35bc660fd2

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-W-Black-White-Zebra-Stripe-Very-Soft-Stripe-Velvet-Faux-Fur-HQ-Fabric-/291089593736?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item43c64ab588

    I used these search parameters, by the way:

    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=%28animal%2C+zebra%29+%28print%2C+stripe%29+fabric+velvet&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X%28animal%2C+zebra%29+%28print%2C+stripe%29+fabric+velvet+black%2C+%28cream%2C+creme%2C+white%29&_nkw=%28animal%2C+zebra%29+%28print%2C+stripe%29+fabric+velvet+black%2C+%28cream%2C+creme%2C+white%29&_sacat=0

    How much fabric will depend on how wide it is, and the dimensions of the chair, and whether you want the stripe centred. So, yes, I'm guessing a couple of yards should do it if you're clever, and three will give you room for error.

    I might be inclined to do the side panels in a bright contrasting colour, say red, which you'll also be able to find cheaply, easing up the budget for the O&L fabric - you might even be able to get away with a yard and a half, if you do the back in a contrasting fabric as well!

    You're inspiring me to finalize negotations in the bubblyjock household domestic "discussion" about whether to put a boring sideboard in our new hall (him), or whether I get to re-cover an old settee in funky fabric: I think I win. :)
  • 12 years ago
    I should have scrolled down further - this ebay seller has the velvet burnout zebra striped fabric in all sorts of colours, including black and white:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raul-Animal-Printed-Heavy-Velvet-Burnout-Designer-Home-Fabric-by-the-yard-/321161584531?pt=US_Fabric&var=&hash=item4ac6b8df93
  • 12 years ago
    Be sure whatever fabric you buy online is upholstry weight fabric, especially with burnout. Are you near a Joanns store? You can order online too. They have sales and coupons, too.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Bubblyjock, I vote settee! Maybe you should just do it without telling him and then say "see how good it looks??" I'm sure he'd agree and if he doesn't, too late, it's done :)

    Hanna you're hysterical! Maybe I should order a bulk lot of those swimsuits and sew them all together for my chair. +1 for originality.

    Another option. Just putting it out there. I have just over 2 yards of a cut velvet I bought years ago that I never got around to using and it just happened to fall on my head when I pulled something out from the top of my closet (sign from above??). I'll attach a pic.

    It would save me buying new fabric, and I get to put this one to use. And I do really love it. 2 birds, 1 stone?

    What do you guys think?
  • 12 years ago
    It looks great to me!
  • 12 years ago
    This is an architectural masterpiece. Leave the wood & cover in a soft tan leather for a modern classy look - perfect for a study.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    -- Well - just might work! The only concern is how you like it with your b/w artwork because they are both strong. Lay the fabric over the chair in the room and see what you think. These days, I'm all about saving money when possible too.

    How big is this pattern? It would be nice if it was in between the artwork and other chair seat pattern , size-wise. The gray in this pattern pulls in the gray in the other side chair. Nice!
    visionaire1 thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes use it. A dollar saved is a dollar earned.
    visionaire1 thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    I'd go with the best fabric it can warrant, in a bold pattern, one that you're really in love with, and turn it into an undeniable conversational piece. Everyone loves a rags to riches decor story.
    visionaire1 thanked Laurie Crabtree-Boyette
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Absolutely love the Chair! Great find! Keep the wood finish and add a modern graphic patterned fabric. You can't go wrong!
    visionaire1 thanked Lunada Consulting & Design, Inc.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I really do love this fabric. It's a large pattern. Looks to me like it actually is halfway between the art and the fabric on the other chair in size. Definitely makes a bold statement. I can't believe I never considered using it. I finally think I've made a decision.
  • 12 years ago
    @ visionaire - how about draping your fabric as closely as you can to the chair so it "fits," taking a snapshot, and posting it here? It also sometimes helps to see something in a photo for one's own use, funnily enough. That, or looking at it in a mirror.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Dang I wish I did that. I did lay it on the chair and it looks amazing! In my opinion of course, just didn't think to take a photo of it. I'm on vacation for the next few weeks so I won't get a chance to take one. I took a snap of the fabric laid out on my sofa but not sure what help that will be.
  • 12 years ago
    It's a great choice!
  • 12 years ago
    Do NOT paint that wood! This looks like a mid century modern chair, and the wood is a defining feature of that time period. I would update it with one of the new modern lattice prints, that use just two colors and has a simple geometric pattern. Too much pattern and you detract from the form of the chair, which is spectacular! Try an ivory and taupe lattice print. Whatever you do, use a good upholstery fabric, this needs more than a cotton chintz redo. Fabulous find!
  • 12 years ago
    I just saw your fabric after I made the last post. I think it's perfect.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Drumroll please...... Here she is in all her completed glory!!

    Unfortunately I can't take credit for the upholstery. I did attempt it but the thickness of the velvet made it really difficult to get the corners and edges to look right. Wood stain and polish is all me though!

    Considering the state I found her in I think she scrubbed up nicely!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Like most great looking dames, she cleaned up real good! Well done!
  • 12 years ago
    Stunning!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    -- Doesn't this just feel great - having the finished chair in your life now? Better than finding it new? It's like beating the system, for sure. Your chair is such a treasured rescue and you did a fabulous job pulling it all together! Kudos for a project very nicely done!
  • 12 years ago
    Absolutely luscious -Well done, visionaire!!
  • 12 years ago
    Very nice, and it looks in your room!!
  • 12 years ago
    Looks great Duh
  • 12 years ago
    Cannot believe that chair! I love it! And it is perfect in your room.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love your chair! Great job! And I love your instruments!
  • 12 years ago
    Are you selling it? :)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I'm so happy with how the chair turned out. Sandy G, yes! So much better than finding something similar new. Thanks for your lovely comments :) Melwishes, all depends on what your offer is :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    很好
  • 12 years ago
    Just letting you know how much I love it. Postage to Aust would be high. Enjoy it in your gorgeous room.
  • 12 years ago
    Aaaaah! It's amazing.
  • 12 years ago
    Oh-la-la! The chair looks really nice in her new outfit. It's the perfect scale, and the pattern is bold and classy! You have great taste!
Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths