Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adwelker

Paint, stain, or both?

adwelker
10 years ago
Moving into an old farmhouse soon and have the opportunity to paint and/or stain all of the doors and trim in the house. Originally, we were leaning towards painting the trim white and staining the doors dark (walnut or espresso), since the white trim made picking paint colors easier.

Now I am second-guessing myself and have reconsidered just staining everything or staining doors, windows and surrounding trim but painting the horizontal trim (baseboards) white. Very conflicted! Opinions greatly appreciated!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Jan Neiges, CMKBD with NKBA
    10 years ago
    There is no wrong answer BUT - if you want to focus on the banister, then paint everything else white - the doors and trim and baseboard - it will make that hallway feel bigger as well and the stairwell becomes the drama. Warm up the space with a colorful floor runner. Have fun
  • adwelker
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Jan!

Most of the woodwork is original (1851) but was painted at one time, then stripped and clear-coated, so I am reluctant to paint the doors. Just not sure what to do with the rest of the trim.
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    10 years ago
    We paint trim white all the time, but your trim would look great stained a darker color. Good luck:)
  • PRO
    Alloi Architecture + Construction
    10 years ago
    Its always a shame to hide the natural wood grain so I would advise against re-coating with paint. From the images, it appears the home has a conflicting design vocabulary so I recommend staining the window trim, door trim and baseboards to match the color/texture of the flooring. By simplifying the color palette and unifying the wood elements you may find more harmony. Enjoy!
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Your original idea of dark wood with white trim would be absolutely beautiful, particularly since it's the original woodwork, which makes the house unique and charming. I think the stain on the floors is preferable to the stain on the doors. I'd stain all the wood to match, paint the trim white and the walls a soft beige/gray. If you feel it needs more light because of dark wood, you could add white wainscot. Your original idea made me think of this photo and color scheme.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • adwelker
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the help! I also wanted to add that we will definitely be staining or painting the wood since the natural finish does not complement the floors.

My dilemma is whether doors, door trim, windows, window trim, and baseboards can be treated differently.

I am leaning towards staining the doors and windows and associated trim to match the darker tone in the flooring, but painting the moulding and baseboards white for a clean floor to wall transition.

Just need someone to tell me this is going to look terrible if that would be a mistake.

Thanks again!
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Hope you stain the wood to match the floors! You can do all of the trim and baseboards in white and the floors, doors and stairs in a darker stain. It will be gorgeous. Have fun and good luck. Post us a photo of the end result!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Awesome door! and stairway! Get a good rug. Get a more beautiful light and make a statement here. I would paint the walls.
  • shakerjaebs
    10 years ago
    I would not paint any of the wood. It's beautiful.
  • terrybaty
    10 years ago
    I've never seen outlets on the baseboard before. Would be a nice blend if outlets covers and baseboard were white....