anitanazar

Wood or Tile Baseboard in Bathrooms??

Anita Nazar
I am renovating 2 bathrooms in my home and have chosen an 18x18 polished porcelain tile for the floors installing on a diagonal. I am not tiling the walls. So here is my dilemma: do I use wood baseboards painted out white, or cut the tile and make the baseboard out of them? Thanks!!

• Anita Nazar
    Oh, and this would be the style of baseboard I would use if I choose wood, so to tie in with the rest of my home.
  • Jo Elder
    I would love to hear the answer for this question too please.
    Anita Nazar thanked Jo Elder
    Julia Mack Design, LLC
    I suggest tile and, if possible, at the same height as your wood baseboard in adjacent spaces.
    Anita Nazar thanked Julia Mack Design, LLC
    Peter B. Rice & Co
    Wood to keep the trim consistent throughout. I think floor tile used as baseboard is too thin to stand out to add much interest. Just my two cents.
    Anita Nazar thanked Peter B. Rice & Co
    Julia Mack Design, LLC
    Tile is durable, water resistant and already an integral part of your design. Also, if the mop hits it, it won't scratch or discolor or warp the way that wood will.
  • makaloco
    If your bathroom ever floods, you'll be grateful for tile baseboard!
    Anita Nazar thanked makaloco
    DC Interiors & Renovations
    Tile is the way to go. Consistency is nice but lets be practical. Bathrooms see more water than any other room in the house and tile will keep it from flowing into other rooms or through the ceiling if done properly.
    Anita Nazar thanked DC Interiors & Renovations
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    Wood in the bath and tile in the laundry room. BTW I like the profile of the wood baseboard you showed.
    Anita Nazar thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • hambirg
    I have the same wood baseboard in my bathroom. I HATE it. It's a bear to keep clean. Tearing it out and replacing it is on my to-do someday list. Go with the tile.
    Anita Nazar thanked hambirg
  • krf9
    I've actually never heard of using tile as a baseboard. I just learned something new.
    Anita Nazar thanked krf9
    Classic Connecticut Homes LLC
    If your budget supports it I would suggest you go with 5/4 marble slabs, at the appropriate height ( 5 1/2" +/- ) with an edge detail (we often do a simple ogee). It is a classic look that won't go out of style and is how we normally trim out our bathrooms.
    Anita Nazar thanked Classic Connecticut Homes LLC
    Comwest Construction
    Use wood baseboards painted out white. Best look and very clean line. Cutting tile you will have problem since the top is not bullnose.
    Anita Nazar thanked Comwest Construction
  • Suk Yee Emily Chung
    I have tile baseboard in bathrooms, doesn't look thin and easy to clean. However I do have MDF for a door frame that is very close to the kid bathtub -- bad thing, it got wet one time I didn't notice it and swell up, had to get someone to fix it. If your baseboard is wood, i think should be fine, but if it's MDF, then go with tile.
    Anita Nazar thanked Suk Yee Emily Chung
  • Anita Nazar
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. As I did not hear back from anyone (thank you Jo Elder for resuscitating this thread!) I went ahead and used the porcelain tile for easy cleaning. I also chose it for durability since we have a steam shower and will have a lot of moisture in the bathroom. Here are some pics, we are very happy we chose the tile, it looks beautiful!
  • fredm51
    I redid 2 bathroom one with tile molding other with plastic wood molding both do a fine job.
    Anita Nazar thanked fredm51
  • Anita Nazar
    Comwest Construction - very good point about tile not being bullnose, we chose to install a chrome capping strip to solve that problem.
  • Angel 18432
    So did you use mdf trim on top of the tile? Never seen anything like this done before.
    Usually it would be a bullnose finish.
    Anita Nazar thanked Angel 18432
  • Anita Nazar
    Angel18432 I had my tile guy use chrome capping strip to cover the cuts on the tile and provide a clean edge for cleaning.
    Tile Supply Solutions
    Tiles - water proof , neat finish.
    Anita Nazar thanked Tile Supply Solutions
  • Jo Elder
    Here is my "before" with porcelain baseboards... Which I love!
    My problem now is finding porcelain baseboards that "look like" white Carrara Marble, as we are updating this area with a porcelain tile that looks like Cararra. I just don't want the upkeep of marble. I cannot find porcelain baseboards anywhere.. Online or tile warehouses, stores or shops?? Any suggestions on where to find porcelain baseboards would be so appreciated.
    Anita Nazar thanked Jo Elder
  • Jo Elder
    Btw...anitanazar... That looks great!!
    Anita Nazar thanked Jo Elder
  • Jo Elder
    Also this baseboard is 5x12 and is in a WC
    Anita Nazar thanked Jo Elder
  • Anita Nazar
    Thank you Jo. I love how it turned out! It was an easy option as I would have a nightmare trying to find baseboards with bullnose to match. The chrome capping looks really sharp. That could be a solution for your bathroom too. The capping comes in different finishes (chrome, brushed nickel, antique bronze) so you can match it to your fixtures.
  • Jo Elder
    Where did you find the capping?
  • Anita Nazar
    Home Depot! But all the hardware/home improvement stores carry them, they will be in the tile supply section. Actually my tile guy never used it for baseboards before but he loved the idea and was so impressed he will be recommending it for his future clients!
  • Angel 18432
    Very neat finish.
    Anita Nazar thanked Angel 18432
  • missionary8

My husband is German and having lived there a number of years, most homes have tile floors and the baseboard is always tile in every part of the home. We tiled our large kitchen and LOVE that my husband used the same tile as our baseboard. We are now doing the same in our bathroom. We didn't 'cap' as someone here did (although that looks great too!), normally the grout is used over the cut edge at a slope, very easy to clean. It's all in one's taste. We have a European taste even living in rural PA! Have enjoyed this thread!

• Angel 18432

old post - March 2014 -

• Roger Pack

Any chance of pictures of the tile with the grout at the top over the cut edge? :)

• jenny
    depends on the level of use. wood can mold, warp, and get cracked paint if the bathroom is used a lot. MDF will swell up if water ever touches it, and tile looks very public-washroom-esque. you should put practicality first. if it's going to get a lot of use and abuse you're stuck with tile, otherwise baseboards look way better.
  • Anita Nazar

@Roger Pack - here is a close up of the top. We used a chrome capping to avoid the look of exposed grout on the top edge, and applied silicone to the corner.

• Lina Otero

I am remodeling three bathrooms and setting white porcelain tile, we found someone that does a bullnose finish so we will be installing the same white porcelain tile as the baseboard

• Kevin G

Hopfully the jobs already done, me, I would go with tile and if your base boards were white I would use white tile edging and trim.

• wannabath

Whenever using wood/mdf baseboard in a wet area you have to seal the baseboard before painting. I use Laticrete Hydrobarier as waterproofing so I coat the back and bottom that touches floor with the same to make it waterproof. I also do about a foot of the wall under the baseboard from the tub or shower pan. The front side is then primed with a good oil based primer followed by an exterior paint. Don't forget to glue any miter joints.

Nothing will be 100% waterproof but with the above I never have swelling, peeling or an other water damages. The wettest part of the bathroom is in those corners of the tub or shower pan where you exit the shower/tub. Water always pools there.

• Cf

As a retired interior designer who worked in the tile and marble industry for 9 years I favour tile, marble or onyx base board, which ever best. Yes a wet area deserves this no care finish. If the bisket (back of tile ) colour is similar to your glazed front then the raw edge does not matter. It can also be painted to match. There are special bull nose tiles for this use also but may be limited in size colour etc. Or run a ceramic bull nose accent strip across the top of your tile.

Height should be min. 4"

Carrie B Brunner

The "capping" is called Schluter. It comes in many finishes, you can look at it on line.

Also I agree with Peter B Rice & Co, the same baseboard through out a house creates consistency and flow. I think tile baseboard looks a bit commercial at times and if the space is small like some bathrooms are, it makes the footprint of the bathroom seem more closed in.

Having said all that.....it does really depend on each room and each circumstance.

• Bonnie Heath

Using a accent brown marble for my bathrooms base. The floor will be a polished solid beige color. Could we poly the top lip of the base and use clear caulk to the wall?

Tile Supply Solutions

Hi , should not be a problem finding porcelain base boards in calacatta look , where are you based ?

• Susan Shunk

Would it look ok to use tile baseboards throughout the house over a wood floor ? And is it costly?