Software
Houzz Logo Print
elysiandesignla

Need help with exterior paint choices for house in LA

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
Hello Houzz Creatives. This little house is getting an overhaul and I'd love to hear your thoughts. My main question is, "Should I go darker with the overall base coat?"

My basic idea is....TAUPE for the base, WHITE for the trim and a DARK TEAL for the door. There are two doors- unfortunately, the door you can see from the curb leads to the bedroom, the other door is around is in that little nook to the left, that door faces the side yard. So....you don't really see the front door from the curb. I will have to do something to pull focus in that direction. There will be a big open patio that is in front of the door you do see- complete with landscaping and furniture, etc.

The swatches in the photos:
Ignore the very light beige that is painted here that is inbetween the two darker TAUPES. Unless you like it- let me know. I think it looks washed out.

There are two colors (both medium taupe) and a smoky blue (Agean Teal). The smoky blue looks too washed out for me so I'm going to use a more saturated color for the doors. (DARK TEAL like I said- tho I'm open to options) I'm going with white for the trim. There will be new trim around the windows.

I feel like I may want to go a smudge darker than the swatches I've tested. I'd like a true dark taupe that doesn't skew too brown or green or gray. I feel like the house may look more striking with a darker color all over and there will be more contrast in general. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

This house is in Altadena, CA and is enclosed on a large lot with a fence.

Thanks for your time.
I appreciate it. :o)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County