Software
Houzz Logo Print
emjfla

Need help choosing a new paint color for our front door...

12 years ago
We moved into our Florida home last April and I've been wanting to paint the front door since. Our home's exterior is pretty standard for South Florida (meaning stucco, accordion style hurricane shutters (on every window or door) light colors, tropical plants/palms, etc). I'm attaching a pic but just so you know, the home exterior color is a peachy tan with white trim. I'd love to take the door out and install a heavy wood door but that's not going to happen on our budget. Any ideas as to a paint color in order to give the doorway a little punch?

Comments (16)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Can you post the entire front of the house so we have some context? You could go with painting the front doors an espresso color. Put in two large pots (colorful, not the terracotta color) with bougainvillea to bring out the tropical aspect.

    Get a larger welcome mat that goes all the way across both doors, the one you have looks much too small.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Really need to see the entire house from the front.
  • 12 years ago
    Hope these 2 pics help....
  • 12 years ago
    Lovely home. I like the previous comment....dark espresso and large colorful pots on each side. In fact, my first thought was black on the front doors.....but for FL very dark espresso would probably be better.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm glad to see this response... that was my first thought. My fear was that it might look odd with the other "white" trim.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It is a beautiful home. First I would take out the (looks like) European fan palm to the left of the entrance. It is too big and detracts from the house. If you choose to paint your front door a different color, I would also paint the area around the window above it. Treat the space as one. What colors would you like to see there? How about a dark red like Ben Moore Navajo Red #2171-10 http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/navajored#ce_s=nava it would look nice with the peachy stucco.
    emjfla thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • 12 years ago
    Yes to treating the entire area of your door and window above as one. It will automatically make your doorway the focal point. Also yes to taking out the palm on the left - it is not placed properly. The developers here put in nearly full grown when building and selling to get the lushly landscaped effect. The problem is they don't always place the plants properly :(
    Add a little more tropical color to your landscape, especially on the right side just before the porch area to liven up your entry. Consider a chair or two with comfortable cushions to give that 'welcome home' appeal. You do have a lovely home.
    emjfla thanked Denita
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful home! I think a medium brown to emulate the wood door would be pretty. Be careful of going too dark. With the pastel exterior you don't want to look out of character.

    Here's a pretty example to give you an idea:
    http://houzz.com/photos/1704971
    emjfla thanked laurakdesigns
  • 12 years ago
    Red for me
    Woodgrain Fiberglass Doors · More Info
    emjfla thanked Geneviève
  • 12 years ago
    Take advantage of your location! Go with a fun, bright coastal color!
    emjfla thanked lindshammer
  • 12 years ago
    I just went through a similar dilemma with my parents' Florida home. They went with a color similar to, if not exactly, what Barbara suggested above to compliment the roof tiles. Sorry I don't have a photo. I failed to convince them to buy a new heavy wood door.
    emjfla thanked Rachel H
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for all your suggestions; I'm going to do as Casa Mexicana imports suggested and try the color on a photo cut out - then make a decision. I'm leaning towards an espresso or dark brown color (perhaps faux wood look) but I'm very tempted by Barbara Griffith Design's suggestion of BM's Navaho Red. That would certainly add a punch of color and I'll have to get HOA approval. As far as the big fan palm to the left of the door, Hubby wants this gone too! $900 to take that sucker out because the base is "humongous"! It's coming out though... all in good time!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A nice red would be good...or you could even do a nice plum color>> http://fancitaste.tumblr.com/post/75188371585 But if red and plum colors are too bold you could stay neutral and do a really nice dark brown.
    emjfla thanked The RTA Store
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Interior casas mexicanas
  • 7 years ago
    Would posting it on OfferUp for free to anyone that’ll dig it up work? We removed a few things from our property that way.