Software
Houzz Logo Print
merylsr

Dark Stone Mosaic: Leave it or paint it?

12 years ago
What on earth should I do with this random backsplash that the previous owners installed? We recently bought our home and I did a quick fix paint job on the cabinets and backsplash until we actually get around to a real remodel. I just couldn't stand our kitchen any longer, and I think you can see why. Horrible use of chalkboard paint. The upper cabinets are now bright white, the lowers are charcoal grey, and the backsplash is a very washed out, just barely mint green.

The backsplash behind the stove is a dark graphite mosaic stone. It is dark and does not show dirt or grime. However, it is impossible to clean because of the texture and variation of the mosaics. I know it has never been cleaned and it kind of grosses me out. Aesthetically, I really don't like the stuff but I don't inherently hate it. I do feel like it is a black hole sucking up light out of the kitchen. Is it as much of an eyesore as I think it is? Should I live with it or paint it? And if I do paint it then what color?

Comments (25)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'd chip it off the wall.
    merylsr thanked sstarr93
  • 12 years ago
    I agree, I say it has to go.
    merylsr thanked Sabrina Ballard
  • 12 years ago
    It's gotta go. What were they thinking?!
    merylsr thanked doctornancy
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yeah like they said
    merylsr thanked Ku Interior Design
  • 12 years ago
    Remove and replace with one of those peel-and-stick backsplashes till you get around to remodeling. Smart Tiles even have a stainless version: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smart-Tiles-10-in-x-10-63-in-Peel-and-Stick-Stainless-Mosaic-Decorative-Wall-Tile-SM1033-1/100599047?N=5yc1vZbcszZ3wr
    merylsr thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks! I am glad I'm not the only one who is wondering "what on earth they were thinking?!" @groveraxle Great idea with the peel and stick as a temporary solution. I am worried the drywall will be completely destroyed when taking the tiles off. With a peel and stick I don't have to worry about it being level to re-tile.
  • 12 years ago
    P.S. if you are getting splatters on your tile... then you may want to buy an inexpensive splatter screen... fits on any pot. I use mine all the time because I am lazy :)
    merylsr thanked Christina Brine
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Peel and stick... hmmm... you just moved in... the stick on tiles will still look lumpy... take a moment before ripping up your drywall. If you don't want to use a splatter screen... consider clear tempered glass over the tile. Tempered... is heat resistant and super strong. There are ways to hold the glass in place... not exactly hooks... but the people at any glass place can help you with ideas.
    merylsr thanked Christina Brine
  • 12 years ago
    Backsplash glass tile or get silver tin. I like one door chalk board paint, fun for cooking,receipes. Paint cabinets & above white,prime first.
    merylsr thanked happyleg
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Remove the tile over the stove and the stone backsplash behind all the counters and repace with tile of your choice from counter top to upper cabinets. For a quick fix - remove the tile over the stove and appy a piece of frosted glass that would be easy to clean.
    merylsr thanked Tres McKinney Design
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you all for this fabulous advice! I love the look of a painted glass backsplash and that may be perfect for when we do a total overhaul on the entire kitchen. You are keeping my wheels turning and giving me great new ideas and solutions to think about. Keep 'em coming!
  • 12 years ago
    You've got this kitchen looking so clean and fresh with the new paint, etc., you just have to get rid of that backsplash. Of course, when you take them off, the drywall is going to come with it, so I would have a stainless steel backsplash fabricated for the space until you get around to THE REMODEL. Probably $25-$50 for the stainless. Or, I love the frosted glass idea also. Both of these are easy cleanup--bonus.
    merylsr thanked m3459
  • 12 years ago
    @m3459 Thank you so much! It feels so much fresher and more updated after some paint and new hardware. Those are some great suggestions since I am looking for a temporary and relatively easy solution. I don't want to spend big bucks on something that may get damaged when we completely overhaul the space. I love the idea of the stainless steel or frosted glass, and that they are easy clean up. Thanks!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Where is that Houzz "Worse Backsplash Material" award. I think we have a new winner.

    We like the recommendations of @m3459 as well.

    Go with confidence.
    merylsr thanked Construction Guaranteed
  • 12 years ago
    I don't see the backsplash that bad at all. Since it is dirty or grimy get a cleaner like Lysol or any cleaner that is in a spray container. Spray it on. The grime will drip off. Use a spray bathroom cleaner. Don't see the major deal of cleaning. Will be curious to hear other ideas re a change of tile. I think you can work around it for now.
  • 12 years ago
    @bevballew I wish it were that easy! I would love a material that is just wipe-and-go and easy to maintain. That is why I am looking for a cost effective quick fix solution until we get around to a major remodel. It is "raw" stone. It has not been sealed or finished in any way. So any grease that splatters gets "absorbed" into the stone and does not wipe off. The pieces of stone are minuscule and are at different intervals creating hundreds of tiny crevices that I have to individually scrub out. It is time consuming, impractical, and not an easy cleaning endeavor.
  • 12 years ago
    Don't remove the stonework just get a piece of brushed stainless steel fabricated to go on top of that eyesore. That would be so easy to clean.
    merylsr thanked Lainie D'Eon
  • 12 years ago
    @Leona Malone Even better idea to just pop it right over the backsplash. No demo!
  • 12 years ago
    @Merylsr..." NO demo" is an easy demo!...LOL
    merylsr thanked Lainie D'Eon
  • 12 years ago
    I figured that might be the case. I just picking a good strong cleaner and everything would drip but I have not experienced such a dilemma. Covering it might be good if you don't like until you redo the kitchen.
    merylsr thanked bevballew
  • 10 years ago

    Nice stainless range hood & back splash.

  • 10 years ago

    It's an interesting application, but in the wrong area.

    I couldn't imagine trying to keep that clean. There is no splatter screen that will work 100% of the time. If you're not ready to make any changes to the kitchen just yet, leave it until it gets nasty or you're ready to change it up.

    Either way, I seriously can't blame you for not wanting it behind your stove.

  • 10 years ago
    Old post.
  • 10 years ago

    No harm...