Software
Houzz Logo Print
solee72

Need rug idea

12 years ago
Not sure if this rug is right because it is so bold. When we I walk into the room, that is all I see. Can you recommend something. I can't get rid of the teal cover as my pooch had already claim that spot. The L sectional is EQ3 pumice which has abit of pinkish, gray colour to it. Sometime the lighting makes it look brownish.

Comments (20)

  • 12 years ago
    Here are better pictures (colour of my place). Not sure if the rug is right or should I tonne it down and get a cream colour rug instead.
  • 12 years ago
    I like it! The blue accent goes perfectly
  • 12 years ago
    It's very modern looking. Cream would make it look average and boring
  • 12 years ago
    I would pull the rug a bit more towards the tv.
  • 12 years ago
    Sondra, yes I did put the carpet out further and that helped to get rid of something "off" for me. Thank you for confirming.

    I appreciated all feedback.
  • 12 years ago
    I would turn the rug so the long side is parallel to your sofa, instead of perpendicular.
  • 12 years ago
    I pulled out the rug abit towards the TV bit and here are the picture. I also changed to long side which parallel the sofa and posted new pictures for that position. Let me know what you guys think?. Just ignore the square luggage. I got another pet which I will have to get a baby gate to block it but for now it is that :) I am ashamed to show my corner office which is right around the TV in the picture. It needs to be redone with more shelfing unit. I will post a new help inquiry later.
  • 12 years ago
    Love it!!
    solee72 thanked faylala
  • 12 years ago
    I would go longer side of rug parallel to sofa
    solee72 thanked sondramartina
  • 12 years ago
    Where did you buy that rug? I want that for my office
  • 12 years ago
    I bought this from rug-direct.com, black and white safari rug. I looked at the site again but it does not seems to be in stock anymore. Try google it for the key words I have indicated you should be able to find it at Ebay even. Good luck.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    How about turning the rug 90 degrees and let just part of the sofa stay on the rug as you have already done. I would paint the red wall a deep dark grey or black to go with the color scheme you have chosen, then use more colorful or graphic pillow covers that can be changed out with seasons and changes in your taste. I see that the alcove is your work and storage. Bring your lowest shelf down just above the stool , use a pair of tall window shutters to cover the bottom half or match your curtains and install on a pressure rod to hide the storage. Lower the other shelves and don't try to fill the entire space with them, you could even find a piece of art or fabric to hang there to fill space.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with KM&M, offset the rug from the sofa a bit. To help give your eye something else to focus on, try an eye catching lamp instead of the simple white shade that you have. If you have a tight budget, just switching the white shade out for a black one will help balance the room. Also, I would paint the red wall behind the shelves black, or teal to match your pooch's blanket. That will help hold the room together.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I keep looking at the photos and seeing more that you can do inexpensively. In such a small space every inch has to do double duty. I would get rid of the table and chairs at the end of the counter and use the bar stool in the storage alcove, as extra seating. Put your cookbooks on a shelf and use the bar as your eating place. Is there space enough to put your "desk" behind the sofa? That would open the alcove up to be a dining spot if you think you need one. Alternatively, you could get rid of the office "desk", and use the dining table as your desk and store your computer away when you need to. Something else you can try is to move the shelving system out to the living area, put the TV on one of the shelves and put your coffee table which the TV is on back in place. Put a curtain across the alcove and more shelves and store anything you want to keep but need to hide. I would also find a better spot for the dog's food as it looks like it could be spilt whenever anyone passes it.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Wow thank you for all you guys had added your input today. I have a desktop computer on that french desk in the alcove area. Also that white shelf is a very top one which is custom made by the old owner. It is just two polls with Ikea shelfing units. I will capture a better picture for you later so its not a shelf unit that I can simple move elsewhere. That open space goes all the way up to the second floor. I have a half open up loft though its small. I like the idea of darker shade of the lamp and painting the red wall. I am getting tire of the red wall so I will put that as one project to do this spring/summer. I am looking for a nice colour for it and deep gray/teal is such an awesome recommendation. There is no space behind the couch for the dinning table but I might be able to TRY this (move the table to the alcove) and post the pictures for you guys tonight (or tomorrow afternoon as I am at work). I will also move the dog's food elsewhere.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would like to see a photo of the alcove up to the loft. What if you removed the shelf poles and bought some other support so that you could reuse the shelves? You could build-in your office that way and then the french desk could be used elsewhere or removed.
  • 12 years ago
    I could not upload more pics so here are more. Also I found a corner office picture which is an inspirational to me and this is what I envision lol but not sure if its ever possible.
  • 12 years ago
    What a really nice place you have...it a little sanctuary...
    solee72 thanked Libbmom