Software
Houzz Logo Print
robyn_dowdle

Urgent Help Needed: Diva Married to a Redneck

12 years ago
We recently bought a new home. It was in marriage contract to hang (2) deer mounts in the living room (hehe). I need it to all come together, and I know there are some creative people that can guide me. I need to know what to hang up there with the mounts. Our ceiling is pretty tall.. Should it be candelabras... Picture ... Mirror? In addition, I need ideas on what to put around/on coffee tables to make it look fabulous. I have attached some photos that have good ideas. However, I still need to know what to hang on the wall. Maybe those wooden rectangles behind sofa table could be incorporated but who knows? Thanks in advance.

PS- please do not judge my picture... Turkey is not staying & curtains were there when we moved in... My husband actually posted this pic on FB and the caption read, "My wife's worst nightmare." Lol!!!

Comments (32)

  • 12 years ago
    Are you planning to change the color of the yellow wall, the sofa or the curtains? If you do you'd have more choices. If not, it's your choice. But I do have a question: Where are the coffe table?!
  • 12 years ago
    I had the same problem. But we have to accommodate our husbands as well. I put these on each side of a cabinet I had restored.
  • 12 years ago
    Hey, even the Queen of England has a few stag heads on the walls in some of her castles. In fact, I found an article in an old Life magazine with a photo of her hunting and taking a trophy herself when she was younger. Photo from the web - Balmoral Castle
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would hang a huge portrait of your husband and a cross bow on the wall under it;)) I would red splotch the wall for added effect...
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the comments!!! :)) Actually, I don't plan on changing the wall color any time soon... It does look yellow but it is really a good neutral I think. Thanks again for the input.
  • 12 years ago
    And yes, I did order these Martha curtains that are yellow... Still have to make sure they jive.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I know so many people (close) that have deadheads all over the place! These are well educated, articulate, nice people.... apparently with a dark side? It is in poor taste, but, it IS a lifestyle choice. Encourage him to take about $50K to build his own personal man-cave to put his trophies in.... good luck.
  • 12 years ago
    Can't tell if the photos you have of the accessories are things you actually want or not, but on the off chance they are this web site has some cool antler accessories: http://graceandblake.net/accessories/
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you can find a really cool interior designer who can blend, um, disparate points of view, you may get a win you'd never expect. Maybe I'm taking it to a weird place but deer heads and candleabras make me think of backwoods Liberace. I've successfully blended some pretty off the wall differing requests outside, so I know it can be done inside. It's just going to take a designer with a sense of humor!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    no matter how many times I hammer the like button it only registers one, Jessica. That's awesome!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Oh sooo much worse
  • 12 years ago
    Hi again! :) what style do you want your living room to be? That'd help a lot. Do you want them to be special and unusual pieces in your room, just like a vintage one, or do you want the style of your room to turn aroud their style? Like that we would be able to figure out something nice for you... xx
  • 12 years ago
    I think what is contributing to the issue (besides the turkey head), is the placement of the current curtains and the short length. The rod needs to be higher than the frame of the French doors and wider than it is currently so that the curtains nicely frame the window. The mounted deer heads will then be not quite as noticeable (maybe)
    I am thinking a placement of window treatments like this
    Guide to Curtains and Window Treatments | RealSimple.com · More Info

    Cottage Chic Family Room · More Info


    Here is a guide on where to place window treatments
    http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/decorating/curtains-window-treatments-00000000056530/page6.html
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think the deer heads should BE the lighting----as sconces. Have a shop wire them up. Instant rustic glam, crystals optional.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Tin tiles are a great way to instantly brighten up the space highlight those high ceilings - they're often a great compromise since they appeal to both genders.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Be grateful it is only a couple of deer and not this ugly thing or this huge one!
    Hunting Lodge - Oxford, Maryland · More Info
    Contemporary Living Room · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I think you're getting hung up on the heads. Ok they will always be a part of the room but its actually fashionable at the moment to have heads/antlers etc so you can make it work. It doesn't have to be what the room is about though so I would avoid going with more heads/antler/skull stuff and introduce other accessories. Do you have a better picture of your space?

    Personally I'd want to have them in the hallway rather than the living room, is that an option or is it living room or divorce?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    There are so many pieces that would go great in your area, especially because the outdoors/rustic design feel is in! Here are a few ideas for you:

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/whitewash-wood-finish-bird-finials-set-2/ (to soften the look of the deer)

    http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/wayfair/white-tail-deer-rug/

    Hope this helps you!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You don't have to go with a lodge, camp or rustic feel though. That's why I mentioned Queen Elizabeth in my earlier post. If you like traditional that works quite well. Just make the room cozy and don't worry about the deer. Additionally there are plenty of themes that don't have to center around the deer heads - you could just have a nature themed room with framed botanical or Audubon type prints, large paintings of animals/birds, some large seashells, polished agate bookends or geodes, and other such things found in nature...
  • 12 years ago
    Some examples of rooms:
  • 12 years ago
    Wish I had a photo of my aunt's home. They were avid hunters and have a moose and an elk with their Chinese red walls and imported oriental furnishings - very striking!
  • 12 years ago
    Agree with Denita about the height of hanging the curtains (you mentioned ordering new) and length (to the floor). With your ceiling height, the new longer, wider curtains will look terrific!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would think about adding different curtains (as has been suggested by other posters). Also, Jessica has some excellent artwork choices that may be a great blend of yours and your husbands style. What is your style?
  • 12 years ago
    My husband is a taxidermist. In our home his heads go on the walls downstairs . In your case I would stagger the 2 heads If you are removing the turkey feathers. Choose lighter drapes to tone down the whole wall. Make another wall the focal point ( fireplace or large piece of art. Since this is a common area incorporate some things you like as well. Don't overdo the camo.lol
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for those of you with positive comments. I enjoyed reading them. I cannot provide a picture of the space at the moment as I am not home.

    I would say we both share traditional style ... Of course, my style is more varied with colors/shapes.... The curtains I bought are Martha curtains- Windor Wave that are yellow. The walls in the previous pic look really yellow. I really think the color will go nicely. In person it is a nice neutral color... Not as yellow as it appears.

    I do plan on raising and widening the curtains. I agree with the idea I am too concerned with the mounts. I think once I get my rug and everything out it will look fine. I plan on getting a nature pic.. And I've been keeping my eyes open for something appropriate.
  • 12 years ago
    Martha Curtains
  • 12 years ago
    Here are a couple of ideas!
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you, robeau3. Maybe someone misunderstood this post. Not really sure....
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thank you, ASV Interiors.... you have made the perfect diet plan for me!!! I could NEVER dine in that place!
  • 11 years ago

    I Like the deer:)

  • 11 years ago

    How could a room with dead creatures EVER be charming. I couldn't visit you even if you were my best friend and I bet you will make a lot of people uncomfortable.