Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trinitybuildersanddesign

Natural or artificial grass?

Which would you rather have for your house? and why?
Natural grass
Artificial grass

Comments (43)

• Cindie Allen-Stewart
    9 years ago
    Natural is friendlier for pets that like to eat grass.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked Cindie Allen-Stewart
  • Amber B
    9 years ago
    We have artificial grass and a dog that used to dig like crazy, but he has never once tried to dig up the artificial grass
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked Amber B
  • cbeames
    9 years ago
    We live in a housing estate in Brisbane, Australia and have Wallabies running free in the adjacent bushland. It would be a shame to use anything but real grass in that environment.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked cbeames
  • marcines1
    9 years ago
    A parkway strip on a dead end street with open (weed) fields behind is the perfect place for a combination of pavers and artificial turf. We planted several pigmy date palms to add elevation. We've been here 35 years and it looks better than ever. Besides, this is Southern California.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked marcines1
  • Jake Kin
    9 years ago
    Natural grass, much more enjoyable under the feet!
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked Jake Kin
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    I agree, natural is the better choice.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked SoCal Contractor
  • Sigrid
    9 years ago
    The question is kind of like asking if you prefer, a mahogany table or a formica, mahogany-look table? I'm amazed anyone bothered to ask.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Natural grass, all the way. Especially St. Augustine! :)
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked Studio M Interior Design
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    Even though I myself have faux grass...I believe a house like this one should have real grass. However; if you cannot keep it green then get faux grass...it really is pretty nice and I have had it for almost three years. The reason , a girl dog , leave spots in real grass and therefore, I cannot keep it green enough!
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
  • PRO
    Schreiber Interior
    9 years ago
    Personally I go for the real stuff - although it is tempting to have low maintenance equipment.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked Schreiber Interior
  • appylvr
    9 years ago
    I would choose real, so my horse can have a snack when my husband isn't home. I used to want artificial turf because of the rabbits, they literally ate through 3 sod lawns so we switched to a landscape that takes a hint from the mountains with more shrubby plants and a dry creek. I does have a green strip of Green Wave grass that is actually watered with a drip line under the sod. We also noticed that artificial turf can become so hot it's too hot to really walk on and animal urine can be a problem with smell. Still, here is So Cal our front yard is an esthetically better solution for our tastes.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked appylvr
  • adoptsalot
    9 years ago
    Neither! I'd rather have a low groundcover like dwarf mondo. No watering (once established), green all year, you can walk on it and NO mowing!
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked adoptsalot
  • augey
    9 years ago
    I'm not a fan of turf, real or fake, as neither provide much habitat for bugs, birds or butterflies and traditional lawns require too much fertilizer, water, and horsepower to maintain. It is possible to have a lovely, low maintenance xeriscape yard that kids can play in, you won't spend all your free time mowing, and you'll do good things for the natural world at the same time. Habitat for nature. It's important. If we each do a little, it helps us all.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked augey
  • Patty Blum
    9 years ago
    Although I love 'real' grass...at 75 yrs of age, it's a lot of work that I can't do anymore.
    So, I'd go for the fake turf so it would look good and save me time and $. Plus the environment is more important now.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked Patty Blum
  • PRO
    Global Syn-Turf - Artificial Grass Supplier
    9 years ago
    I can't agree more, Pablum. After 40, we realize that life is too short to worry about small things. Everything has its pay-off. The costs of having a natural lawn are unreasonable in terms of time, $$, and earth resources. We are on the age of global warming! Temperatures are going up. I crave for rainy days in No Cal... Grass is dying, unless you water it at least twice a week, but there is not enough water to drink and bath for all of us. We don't think this way, but that's the reality, unfortunately.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked Global Syn-Turf - Artificial Grass Supplier
  • karen Johnson
    9 years ago
    Live in Drought ridden California desert.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked karen Johnson
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    Natural....it's free.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked bungalowmo
  • fanzoe
    9 years ago
    I had a terrible looking lawn under an oak tree that was muddy, weedy and had bald spots. I though in the towel and installed over 1000 feet of artificial grass in my front yard a year ago. Couldn't be happier. No watering, mowing, or fertilizing. Looks great -- most people can't believe it isn't real. And, most importantly, we really use it! My kids can play on it year round without mud, bald spots or ruining the lawn. We put lawn chairs on it and socialize more with our neighbors out front. I did place some planting beds (flowers and shrubs) around it for variety and interest, so I still get to garden some.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked fanzoe
  • _danchi
    9 years ago
    there is too many things that are fake in this world, it is a shame to put a fake grass too
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked _danchi
  • flyr4fun
    9 years ago
    Synthetic grass is looking better and better these days. In So Cal, its a shame to waste water trying to keep a lawn green and having the excess fertilizers run off into the ocean.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked flyr4fun
  • Kat Cheng
    9 years ago
    No offense to people who like artificial grass, but I'd never consider using it. Artificial turf, even the best varieties, inevitably look fake. If water usage is your concern, go with drought-tolerant landscaping, desert-scaping, native-plant landscaping, or something like that.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    We do nothing to our lawn but mow and trim it; therefore, we have lots of clover and lots of birds and bees.
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    I'm with you River Valley!
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    There is no reason to have a lawn at all in a drought-striken or desert climate. Native plants and xeriscapes make much more sense both aesthetically and environmentally. Real lawns are fine as long as you live in a climate that can support them through rainfall alone and without weedkillers and artificial fertilizers.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    @feeny- Seriously, there is no reason to LIVE in a desert or drought stricken climate.
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    I agree. Overpopulation of the southwest is exacerbating the problem of droughts into environmental crises.
  • PRO
    Global Syn-Turf - Artificial Grass Supplier
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Jake Kin, your feet haven't had the pleasure of experiencing our new grass, Cashmere, the softest artificial grass on the market. : )

Sigrid, artificial grass is more sustainable than natural grass because it doesn't require maintenance (and thence saves time), water (and thence saves money), nor fertilizers and pesticides (and thence saves the environment). Secondly, natural grass lawns emit more greenhouse gasses than they absorb (ref: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/well-kept-lawns-causing-climate-change-by-boosting-greenhouse-gas-emissions-1484265). And thirdly, our technologies at Global Syn-Turf have advanced so highly that I'm even tempted to say, not merely that artificial grass looks better than real grass, but that our grasses look so good it's real grass that should be accused of imitating the look of synthetic!

appylvr, if artificial turf becomes too hot to walk on you can spray it down with a hose or sprinkler. The odor from animal urine can be subdued with an infill called ZeoFill, and as an auxiliary measure, Pet Odor Neutralizer, both of which can be purchased here: http://www.globalsynturf.com/accessorieslist/

augey, yes, a xeriscaped yard is a good option for some homeowners. However, it has one problem, lack of functionality. Namely, you can't play catch with your son or practice soccer with your daughter or play frisbee with your dog on a yard covered with xeriscape. This disadvantage makes it deficient in meeting the needs of homeowners who value the ability to engage in recreational, sportive activities with their families in their yards.

kathrynecheng, like I said above, the problem with the other alternatives you mentioned is that they lack functionality, which artificial grass provides. For example, you can't practice lacrosse or let your dog run freely in your backyard if the whole thing is xeriscaped.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked Global Syn-Turf - Artificial Grass Supplier
  • n247080
    9 years ago
    Seriously? why would anyone want anything but real grass unless you happen to be a football field? I no longer mow my own lawn, I simply don't enjoy the task or the heat. (I do love the smell of freshly mown grass though)

I hire one of the neighborhood kids, pay them for the entire summer with the agreement that it always look nice, no letting it get shaggy. (I know where you live, I'll come and bang on your door.....) Then voila, my grass is maintained on a schedule the kid can pick and sometimes I get to sip on ice tea while watching the youth of America hard at work. Plus, I'm supporting my neighbor's kids and keeping someone employed that might not be old enough for a regular job.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked n247080
  • PRO
    DaVill Blinds
    9 years ago
    Not a fan of artificial at all.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked DaVill Blinds
  • Patty Blum
    9 years ago
    N247080...you are lucky that you have someone you can rely on. Not always possible. ..so we do what we have to do! You, real grass; others, not real. Live and let live!
  • Patty Blum
    9 years ago
    Bungalo! Not really free! Seed...fertlizer...water. you have another way of doing it that's really free?
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    If you live in a climate with enough rainfall, then Bungalomo and River Valley are right. Free. We do not water, seed or fertilize our lawn. It just grows on its own and gets mowed, with occasional hand-weeding of dandelions. But if I lived in a warmer, drier climate I would absolutely not have a lawn (either real or artificial). Native plants and xeriscaping are the answer, not plastic.
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked feeny
  • r_achilmark
    8 years ago

Natural is better option.

Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked r_achilmark
  • PRO
    True North Landscaping
    8 years ago

As an installer of both artificial lawn and "real" turf, the new artificial lawn products that are available I believe are very high quality. Artificial lawn provides a usable space for lawn games, entertaining, and aesthetics as does real turf, however not only is artificial turf easier to maintain, but your kids won't get muddy when playing in the grass in the rain, and the turf won't get chewed up by play or by the birds looking for grubs (a real big problem in Vancouver, BC right now). Also, its great in North facing backyards or other areas of yard that do not get much sunlight. Here's a picture of a lawn we installed using one of the premium brands of artificial lawn on the market by Bella Turf called: Cascade Elite Turf

Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked True North Landscaping
  • PRO
    Kemora Landscapes
    8 years ago

It definitely depends on the project/client. We install both artificial and "real" turf, like True North Landscaping (who commented above). We find they both have their pros and cons. We like to inform people that these days, you can find a great quality of artificial turf that completely resembles sod with its color and texture. We always recommend artificial turf. Upfront, it is more expensive, but it is guaranteed to last.

Artificial Turf Pros:

+Artificial Turf doesn't need sun. I know this sounds obvious but a lot of people have trouble growing natural sod in shady conditions and their yard turns into a patchy mud pit.

+Safe place for animals to do their business (no brown patches)

+No mowing necessary - We've found our clients in the city love this! Sometimes for a small city yard, not only is it a pain to lug out the lawn mower for a small area of grass in the backyard, but storing a lawn mower is another battle on it's own. Say goodbye to lawn mowers with artificial turf!

+Acts as an extension of your patio space. When entertaining or during the entire summer, add an extra table and chairs on your artificial turf! Your natural grass would hurt from this, but not artificial turf!

Trinity Builders & Design, Inc. thanked Kemora Landscapes
  • PRO
    Artificial vertical garden
    4 years ago

I choose artificial grass & the result is opposite to me. Peoples are chosen real grass but they don't have real grass. I Love real grass as well. But there are 100's of reasons to choose artificial grass as well. Here you can read "Why Choose Artificial Grass" Please real come here again. I hope you will choose artificially. If you do not have lots of time Or lots of love with real grass

• Momof5x
    4 years ago

Real grass because it’s natural! I love the smell of grass too, it lets you know you have a garden- a little part of the world that’s yours.

• PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    4 years ago

My main concern with artificial grass is the fact that it doesn’t cool the ground. It also hurts (more like eliminates) the ecosystem below it.

• HU-flooring
    3 years ago

I choose artificial grass because it avoids potentially harmful pesticides and fertilizers while significantly decreasing maintenance costs. That's a big advantage of fake grass. These guys in LA install it best. Artificial Grass Los Angeles, CA.

• Wasap Ro
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I chose artificial grass for me. I counted how much about the cost of maintaining a real lawn, all the watering, fertilizers, efforts and time, and I realized that I would be more comfortable to have an artificial lawn. I want to relax in my backyard after work and not waste time and nerves on the care of natural grass. Two years ago, I bought an artificial lawn at https://www.artificialgrass-manchester.co.uk/ and ordered beautiful decor and special seats for the garden. Now I have a dream backyard. I love that I just put my artificial lawn away in the garage for the winter and take it out as needed. I may have taken the path of least resistance, but I'm okay with it.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

I think that's such a weird question, because I can't imagine ever wanting artificial grass.....If I was not going to have a traditional grass lawn (and there are lots and lots of reasons not to have one), I would choose xeriscaping or a something totally different instead of artificial grass. I'd rather choose something real and different, than something fake but ordinary-looking. Why add more plastic to the world?

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

Since you revived this thread.......10 months later, and I now have a lawn (over a septic drain field) that I really don't want or want to maintain. My solution will be digging out most of the turf this October, and seeding the area with native grasses and wildflowers.