Software
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_perkins

My house looks "blah" Need help please!

12 years ago
We are still working on putting in landscaping, but I still feel like something is missing on the exterior of our home. I want to add a pediment over the front door, but am not sure if that will help it. Please advise!!
On note, we used to have horrible dark brown shutters and have since taken them down. Many other homes just like ours in the neighborhood are now going shutter-less.

Comments (9)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think your house is very nice
    reminiscent of a French country house
    Depending on the budget you could add a large porch with a portico as seen in this wee pic :-)
    Kristen thanked anne dee
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    It's a bit hard to see the door, but a bold door and the trim painted darker but still a warm color. Finish it off with large planters on either side (perhaps a bright rich color) of the door with some Architectural and/or interesting plants. I think would do a lot without costing too much

    I just saw the comment that the windows are vinyl. I agree painting lighter to get them to blend is the way to go
    Kristen thanked Maggie Bohlman
  • 12 years ago
    Is that a real antenna? I haven't seen one of those in decades!

    You could add larger lights. A fancy pediment will look more colonial, won't it? The rustic brick looks more farmhouse than colonial to me.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the look of "no shutters" on your house.

    If possible, I would re-paint the white around the windows ---changing it to a neutral light-beige color (the goal being NOT to highlight the "around the window" lines)…

    OR, you could go in the other direction and re-paint all that white the dark brown and highlight the windows (although I personally prefer non-highlighting approach for your house)..

    Either way, I don't think white is as good of a look as either light-beige or dark brown would be.

    And, yes, I think a covered entrance would be the right touch, both for function and appearance. I picture something about the width from light fixture to light fixture. I think that would be a good scale for your house.

    I don't agree with the idea of adding a full-width porch----I think that would be too much. The photo above looks like it has more room between first and second floors (taller than 8 foot ceilings) than your house has. I think a full porch would overwhelm the front of your house and spoil its simple, classic (and appealing) lines… (Just my opinion)

    Nice bones to your house. Nice brick color. I don't think much is necessary to give it the "right look."
    Kristen thanked sally78
  • 12 years ago
    unfortunately, our windows are vinyl. I agree that they would have looked better in a light beige color. However, the previous onwers put these in so we are stuck with them. I also hate that they stand out. Can you paint a vinyl window? It might void the warranty :(
  • 12 years ago
    and yes, we have a real, 1970's antenna on top. It's on our list of things to go, clearly.
  • 12 years ago
    I could be off here, but what I see is that the pitch of the roof is too low. With that said I do realize the pain it would be to rip it completely off and add a steeper pitched roof, but it would look more French Country if you could! :o) The main floor windows with the trim above them and the door painted red looks great, so does the color of the bricks! Alas, its the roof! :o(
    Kristen thanked frenchcountrychick
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I had commented on your original post when you had the shutters up - so saw this follow up to that. I do think that you could use something else so that it doesn't look so bare, particularly without shutters. I would add bushes with height, in between the windows on the garage. I would add large planters on either side of the front door to fill in that space. And I would increase the size of the lights to either side. I think the door would look better in a lighter color, perhaps even something like the blue shown in mick50's photo. Your house has more of a Georgian facade and that might be somewhere to look in terms of a possible pediment for over the door. Here's some examples of Georgian houses, many with pediments:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=georgian+exterior+design&rlz=1C1CHNU_enUS514US514&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Oi-VU_X5OdK3yASdsIDgBg&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=677
    Kristen thanked User