Software
Houzz Logo Print
delightedbydesign

Does anyone else hate the lack of privacy involved in glass showers?

12 years ago
I love the look and the openness, but have no desire to display my aging body. Our master desperately needs remodeling, and while I'd love to have a glass enclosure, I really need the privacy of a curtain. Does the glass fog up when you're in the shower?

Comments (19)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Why not go with a glass door with frosting in the center or something like these, this gives you a bit of blur but still the nice clean look of glass and I would tell everyone to stay out of my bathroom while i am in the shower.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    There are a number of frosted shower enclosure options that provide the light and openness of glass with more privacy. This photo is of a Vigo Frameless Neo-angle Frosted Shower Enclosure (36 x 36). I wouldn't count on your glass fogging up when you're in the shower. If it does then it probably means that your bathroom exhaust fan is undersized.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I'm soooo glad you brought this up as I've thought that for a long time. I just don't get this love of clear glass where an onlooker can see everything should they walk in on you.

    And another thing I think about a lot is what happens if you fall in the shower [as we get older] and need what's called an 'assist up' in EMS [emergency medical services] term where the fire department comes, now you've got a bunch of people hovering around the bathroom with you laying there for everyone to see. I for one don't want a bunch of firefighters gawking at my naked body laying on a shower floor. I might add my husband is a firefighter and sees this sort of thing which is why this concerns me.

    I also can't imagine trying to keep that much glass clean! It's hard enough to keep a tub and shower curtain clean, let alone having to wash windows every week.

    I think this is going to prove to be another passing fad that people find is very high maintaince.
    delightedbydesign thanked hayleydaniels
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hayley brings up a good point about making a shower safe as you age. As you remodel take this time to install grab bars in the shower to help you get in and out and give you something for support. For a number of our clients planning on living in their homes for an extended period and eventually retiring in their homes we install curbless "roll-in" showers with a seat and wand attachment. If they ever find themselves in a wheel chair or unable to stand long enough to shower they can still do so comfortably.

    Here is an attractive fold up seat that is out of the way when you don't need it. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/how-does-the-teak-stand-up-to-daily-shower-use-does-it-involve-any-special-daily-weekly-care-dsvw-vd~224564
    delightedbydesign thanked Domum
  • 12 years ago
    Good idea, Patricia! Our bath has a compartmented toilet/bidet area, and, currently, a shower enclosed on three sides with a curtain on the door. This has worked well through the years, allowing our children/grandchildren to enjoy the whirlpool while the shower and/or toilet was in use. I think we'll leave the shower enclosed and remove the curb and the frames on the sides and bottom of the opening. This should make the shower seem lighter and more open. We can then use partially frosted glass or have a curtain mounted on the side wall to pull over the glass for privacy.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks so much, Hayley! I totally agree! Currently, we're able to pull the shower curtain and undress, throwing our clothing over the top. After showering , we reach for our robes or towels on the hook right outside and emerge decently covered. And for de Jesus and Alatorre, thanks for the reinforcement on aging in place options. We are in our sixties and have definitely thought about universal access. Hopefully, we can design our bath to be both practical and beautiful!
  • 12 years ago
    True, but with an enclosed shower perhaps only one or two will see, not everyone in the room!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    +1 frosted glass
  • 12 years ago
    They do make frameless shower doors with obscure glass which is great for those of us with hard water and those with modesty issues. Frankly, the last thing that would cross my mind when selecting a shower door would be worrying about who might see me in the buff if some day I were to fall in the shower. Those thoughts will only make you old before your time. People on Houzz crack me up!
  • 12 years ago
    Here's an example...
    delightedbydesign thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Har! Speaking of modesty, the top two (tiny) pictures, when you click the "enlarge" button bring up a picture that's exactly the same size as the original.

  • 9 years ago
    If you're worried about people walking in when you're in the shower, what about when you're using the toilet?!?
  • 9 years ago

    lee miller, our toilet and bidet are enclosed in a separate little room with a door.

  • 9 years ago

    I hated the clear glass my last house, this one has the glass blocks and door to a side facing the wall. I like it although it's probably very dated. The frosted glass looks good

  • 7 years ago

    I agree! Maybe it’s because I grew up in a home where everyone came in and out of the bathroom while I was bathing or showering, but I really like a shower curtain! I’m planning a bathroom renovation and wondering if I could get used to the glass.

  • 7 years ago

    It's frustrating that anything but clear glass is about double the cost of clear!

  • 7 years ago

    Kathy Spencer, why are you hesitating on using a shower curtain?

  • 3 years ago

    I realize that this comment of VERY late, but perhaps it will help someone…. I too DETEST the open-clear-glass-shower-concept….. My shower is also huge, doorless, and since the clear glass doesn’t extend all the way to the ceiling, the shower is often not warm enough (for my taste, anyway)…. Finally, I don’t care how often you clean your shower and even if you have nice tile and have purchased attractive bottles for shampoo, etc. the inside of a shower doesn’t provide a very nice view…. ONE IDEA: Was a
    house in which the tile/Sheetrock “wall” (that supports the clear glass) extended up to about 6.0-7.0 feet where it was then topped by clear glass…. This was such a wonderful touch because— It provides privacy; It allows the option of increasing the total height of the Sheetrock/tile wall and glass (thereby keeping the shower warmer); it is likely less expensive than a total clear glass wall; it hides the messy/dirty/ugly shower interior; it doesn’t block any natural light that might be entering through an exterior wondow; it allows for more space to store towels, a bathroom mirror, a seat, etc…. I recently moved so I have bigger priorities at the moment, but if the cost isn’t prohibitive, I hope to eventually raise the tile/Sheetrock wall in my shower and extend the clear glass wall to the ceiling. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼