Software
Houzz Logo Print
kim_anne

Need help w/ finishing touches in our dining room!!! Help!!

12 years ago
Looking for suggestions on a mirror over the buffet in our dining room. Also looking for suggestions on a rug and window treatments. Window Trmts or could plantation shutters work in this room, too heavy? Would love your opinions! Thanks!!

Comments (118)

  • 12 years ago
    Here's a photo of the arrangement on the buffet. Feels a little too large to me. Maybe better in this corner next to the windows?
  • 12 years ago
    Really need ideas for the opposite wall… No idea what to do on the wall or corner!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, my! It is so much taller than I thought it was. This is a floor piece for sure.
  • 12 years ago
    Do you have a plate collection at all that could be displayed in here?
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks. I was thinking to prop it up on a cool rustic / vintage crate and add some pumpkins or something else next to it, if it wasn't enough to stand alone. I think using this arrangement in the corner next to the window works better than in the corner alone on the other side of the room. Here it is flanked by the mirror and windows and sits in the corner well. I will say for some reason it seems to look better in person than the photo's.
  • 12 years ago
    I don't, but that's a possibility. Just not sure where I could find something like that near me.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Goodwill or second hand stores to just go looking in? Great old pieces that could add an artistic touch to the wall.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would put a painting! Check my houzz page out, or my website www.florencedebretagne.com
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    How about this? I have always wanted to try this, but I do not have a wall for it.
    http://www.stonegableblog.com/torn-napkin-art-tiles-diy/
  • 12 years ago
    Oh I do like that…love her home! I love whites and woods together. Not sure how I ended up with such dark furniture but here I am. : )
  • 12 years ago
    Love what you've done so far with the room.....the mirror is GORGEOUS! Hope you keep it. I think it will accentuate the curves of the chandelier....also, the table is linear as well as the buffet -- so the round mirror looks better IMHO. Since you are going for the RH look, I do think a sisal rug will work very well. RH has some lovely ones -- my favorite is the Belgian sisal double weave. It has enough texture to stand on it's own and would look lovely in that room. I also love the first set of fabrics (morrocan) from Smith and Noble. I love the neutral RH look best myself, but if you definitely want color, you could go for the rug with the shades of taupe and blue and go with some lovely smokey blue silk curtains and table runner. Your taste is exquisite and you are doing a lovely job. Just trust your instincts --they have proven great so far....
  • 12 years ago
    U need a great rug but make sure it isn't too small. The chairs should fit on it even when scooted out. A nice piece of art or mirror over the buffet. Again not too small but not too large either.
  • 12 years ago
    Here is one more view of the Dining Room (evening time). The moroccan drapes from Smith and Noble I thought would look nice but it has a silk like appearance which I think may be too formal for this room… I'm just not sold on them yet. I purchased a belgium linen sheer from PB just to see how that fabric works and I seem to really like it. It feels more welcoming, rustic, cozy, warm to me than the silk. I'm also re-attaching my top choice for rug, yet this was before the accessories. Now that at the accessories are in I'm thinking I'm leaning back to the Sisal route.
  • 12 years ago
    You're doing great. I will take the curtains that you don't want. lol :) I also think the sisal rug will add nice texture, which I think would work well. Good luck! Great choices, hard for me to decide. lol :)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I enjoyed the photo with lights on and leaves in the vase.......[where's the food?]
  • 12 years ago
    Just wanted to say thank you again for everyone's feedback. It really helps having fresh eyes at this sometimes!!
  • 12 years ago
    Do your drapes go under the blinds?
  • 12 years ago
    No. The green roman shades are coming down. They are the previous owners window treatments. I stuffed the sheers into the top of the window to visualize how it would look with the drapes.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Gotcha!
    I agree that silk may be a bit too formal. If you get the PB ones, can you return them if you do not like them once they are up? Sisal gets my vote, too, for under your table.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes. They can be returned. Not sure if I should do 1 panel (on outside) of each window or 2 panels on each window. With the heavier silk S and N was going to do do 1 panel for each window and pull them back but it would be 1.5 width. So it would be nice and full. I don't have that option w/the PB Sheers and I think doing just 1 isn't full enough.
  • 12 years ago
    Do at least two on each side. Also, another suggestion: move the curtains a little further out on each side. It will give the appearance if bigger windows. Floor to ceiling curtain makes the eye go up and gives the room a taller feeling.
  • 12 years ago
    Fullness and length always look more custom.
  • 12 years ago
    Here's what I'm trying to describe:
  • 12 years ago
    See how much the curtain comes out away from the window. Just extend your rod length.
  • 12 years ago
    There's the curtains floor to ceiling or in this case, crown molding to floor. It makes the room and window look longer and taller
  • 12 years ago
    It also allows more light to come in when open. Even the slightest bit makes a difference. :) (about Susan's comment)
  • 12 years ago
    Susanmarguerite beautiful room. I agree to bring the rod outside of the window a little, however in my case by doing so I'm concerned about leaving too little or too much room in between the windows. I don't want the inside panels to be too close? Someone suggested doing a 3rd panel in between the windows but the room is a little small for the dining table. There is not much room at the ends of the table to begin with. Adding a 3rd panel could be in the way of guests walking around the table.
  • 12 years ago
    Did not think of that???? :)
  • 12 years ago
    You know you have the rounded chair backs, try a square or rectangular mirror with an ornate frame
  • 12 years ago
    Please don't use a sisal area rug. Stores will let you bring home several rugs to try as it is such an important feature of a room. It is the basis of your room. I do like the muted Oriental style rugs myself.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Sandra, after a long debate we chose to go forward w/ the round clover mirror. It's been purchased, hung and I do really like it. I was concerned about it being too matchy or too much wood but couldn't find anything else I was willing to pull the trigger on. Before the accessories I wasn't going to go Sisal but now that the room is filling in, it just has that feel to me. The ornate distressed beige/brown rug above was a top contender to me but now feels a little out of place. Also I was afraid it may be too tone on tone (if you look at the rest of my house were NOT very colorful over here… very neutral) where the sisal will at least add some texture? I'm open to other suggestions if you have any. I agree it's a huge part of the room so I want to get it right as we will be living with it for a very long time.
  • 12 years ago
    I actually do like the round mirror you chose & I should have read all comments & might have known that, but it is lovely. I adore the rug that Kim Anne posted at 8:01. It is very muted.
  • 12 years ago
    I love the mirror, but I keep wondering what it would look like if you put that one in the living room, and the mirror from there into the dining room! I feel like the larger square mirror hung just above the buffet - or just secured to the wall but made to look as if it's leaning - would provide a marriage of style between the living room and dining room. The dining room has a lot of round soft profiles and the living room is very geometric. Also, the simple grace of the round mirror might be a bit lost in here competing with the intricate patina on the chandelier , while the grid-style mirror would provide a contrast for the delicate organic sensibilities of the chandelier.
    To keep things light and contemporary, some light artwork in the corner walls and some light-colored or white accessories on the buffet can brighten the mood.
    (artwork available at www.whitedogwhistler.com)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Examples of accessories to bring the light curtain colours and white trim into the scheme (found on google image search)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Another option is to put the mirror on the smaller wall opposite the windows so that it reflects the light, brightening the room, with some smaller pieces of art on the wall next to the left, while a big neutral artwork sits on the buffet. (images found w google image search) Those little tree / coral pieces you posted are super cute!
  • 12 years ago
    Karlamummery, thank you so much for your advice. Funny you say that about switching the mirrors. The multi-pane mirror in the LR was originally meant for the DR. When we moved here, the DR furniture was chosen 1st and I have always had my eyes on that multi-pane mirror. However, when we came around to picking out the furniture for the LR, I felt it would be more difficult to find something else that would work behind the bar than the buffet. The LR feels much darker than the DR so the larger mirror really helped brightening up the space. It also mimic'ed the lines of the coffee table and fit perfectly behind the bar. I know I would love that mirror in the DR as well but had ZERO other ideas for behind the bar.

    As for the rug your speaking of (Nolan - Pottery Barn) the photo online I absolutely love but in person it was much more blue (photo above of small sample - August 18, @ 5:48PM). In person it feels a little loud to me. I'm sure it could still work and look great but I was afraid to commit to that much "blue" and thought it would be easier to change seasonal decor with a more neutral rug.
  • 12 years ago
    As for the different styles in the two rooms your the 1st to actually comment on that, and was something I always questioned in my head to myself. I designed the Dining Room and my husband had a lot to do with the Living Room. We were looking at doing a pool table and bar in the LR, thought it would have gotten more use than and a "formal living room" but the room was too small to handle a pool table, so we aimed for lounge type feel. I would have put more white wash / linen rustic/vintage type furnishings in but I also have a dog and a little boy and wanted something that was family friendly (leather can be wiped off). By putting the bar in there I thought it would also help bring people into the room. The styles are a bit different as one room was purchased from Pottery Barn (LR) and Restoration Hardware (DR). Both stores have completely different finishes to their furniture so I was worried about if these two rooms would work across from one another. Your comment about switching the mirrors and the reasoning behind it is quite a good idea. I just don't think I can vision the round mirror in the LR.
  • 12 years ago
    Haha that's so funny that you have more of a hand in the DR and hubby in the LR, I actually was going to write that the dining room's round shapes felt more feminine while the boxy geometric shapes in the living room were more masculine. Both are beautiful rooms!

    I have to confess, I work at an art gallery and I just want to see beautiful paintings in every room, muahaha. What do you think about original fine art? Those tree/coral pieces you posted above are lovely. What do you think about a gallery wall of family photos and other memorabilia on one of those corner walls?
    Kim Anne thanked karlamummery
  • 12 years ago
    Looking at the two rooms now, I agree. I wanted my dining room (casual elegance) and let the hubby have his lounge room. It's a shame we've been here a 1 yr and neither room has been used yet..lol.

    I really LOVE those coral pieces/frames above and must find a place in my home for them somewhere! The nice thing is they are completely custom - frame, color fan/coral, color back ground… etc. I think color wise they would go great in the dining room but am concerned they may be too nautical and look out of place? I do Love that nautical / shore type style just wasn't sure they would be out of place in the DR.

    For the corner walls were you speaking of the DR or LR? I was thinking of doing a gallery wall in the LR w/ family photo's?
  • 12 years ago
    Not to jump all over the place but my plan was to put open shelving/bookcase towards the front of the Living Room (on the left wall when you 1st walk into the room, in between the sofa and chair, there is currently a plant / vase on the ground) I thought it would help balance the room and bring some height to the front of the room. I have attached a view photo's of my top choices and am welcome to any suggestions for staging the rest of this room! : )
  • 12 years ago
    I like the wider of the two 'X' shelving units. Usually they say to reserve family photos for bedrooms, but do what feels best for you. You do need to add some colors (as in photos, prints) to your walls Don't forget plants. By the way I love your furniture. So comfy.
  • 12 years ago
    Oh my, there's so much wall space in the living room too!
    I was thinking the family portrait/memorabilia gallery wall would go well in the little unused corner in the dining room; done right it would finish that room off with a personal touch.

    As for the big walls across from the sofa, I want to see big art! What style of art do you love?

    Those coral pieces would look good on either side of that opening in the wall across from the sofa. They would look great anywhere, really, and if you put them in the living room you could probably put things on the bookshelves that would go with their style. Like pretty pieces of driftwood or other beach finds, or cool nature things that your kid brings home, when he gets to that age. A rock collection maybe? :) I think that they don't necessarily need another nautical style thing to go with them in the room, you could just take inspiration from the type of pattern they create for your throw cushion fabrics or an ottoman or table runner, to tie in that abstract crackly nature look.

    I would love to see one of those open shelves against the wall with the thermostat, or a shelf on each side of the door to the hallway, to take away the graphic effect of all the white things on the dark wall to the left. But that's just me getting ocd ;)

    Textile/pillow ideas:
  • 12 years ago
    I think if you place the shelves where the plant is it is going to overbalance the room. Try it in several areas. Have you thought of putting the sofa on the wall facing the window? are you putting a TV in the room? I hope not.
  • 12 years ago
    Kim Anne, I think you need to make a decision on the rug for dining room. I like the muted oriental type ones you posted. If you go to a quality rug store they will probably bring out several for you to try. You really can't tell until they are in place. It is the foundation of the room.

    Also If you have an Ikea in your city, they have lovely drapes of differing styles and fabrics and are extremely affordable. They have very long ones with hemming tape so you can adjust the length.

    I think the sillouettes to match your window casings would be best, and I can see an off-white or beige linen or velvet hung to the ceiling in each of your rooms. Pick a width that when closed on each window will look full enough. You will be surprised at how affordable Ikea is.

    You don't need to finish the rooms all at once. Pick your accessories and paintings when you find the right time. I like your tree prints, by the way. Your rooms will be very special if you pick the items you and your husband love.
  • 10 years ago

    I would suggest white curtains to match the white upholstery on the dining chairs. A plain cotton curtain fabric in a draw drapery would look nice, but it all depends on how much light you want or need in the room. If the room tends to be dark, I would suggest sheer white tiers for the bottom half of the windows and then a matching sheer white valance or a contrasting print valence across the top.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    add a large wall artwork....for more artwork check my website too...

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooArtGallery?ref=profile_shopname



  • 9 years ago

    I have been reading and rereading this very thoughtful and informative thread. I am curious how the result of your DR rug and accessories, curtain and wall displays ended up? I love your thoughtful process . . it helps me feel more typical that there are others around me who think through and then rethink again. Your room is beautiful and all of your time, attention to detail which bring you to your decisions personalize it to you :)

  • 9 years ago
    Cmburch thank you!! It's a mess at the moment as we since added to our family but as soon as I get it cleared out I will try to take some updated photos. Unfortunately, I haven't done much and this post just made me realize how long this room has been in the works. I need to get around to finishing it ASAP!
  • 9 years ago
    Congratulations on adding to your family!! Truly the most important attention to every detail is best spent in nurturing your littles, self and relationships that make your house a home. You'll get back to those things less important when it's time.
  • 7 years ago

    Where did you get your dining table? It’s beautiful! I too like the bookcase idea. I love the look of two buffet lamps on a buffet and a large mirror to reflect light.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner