Software
Houzz Logo Print
changed01

My dining room needs help!!!

12 years ago
I don't know what else to put in this room. I need help decorating!

Comments (30)

  • 12 years ago
    I really do not think that mirror is doing anything for this area either. Maybe you could use it in the bedroom for a floor mirror? I think a piece of art in that space would work better.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I might move the mirror to another room or use whitewash paint and rug onto it, so that it's not so stark..it's too black and thick with your furniture. Then place it on the wall (on the floor) next to the french doors. Where the mirror was, you could add a console with a lamp or candlesticks and art above. A rug would also pull the room together and curtains on the french doors. [houzz=
    Dinning Room · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Georgian Cottage · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    What color should I paint it?
  • 12 years ago
    Maureen, I like that idea but I really don't have much space behind the chair to add a console. We are actually trying to make the space larger. The French doors are coming down and we are going to knock that wall down.... But not at this moment.
  • 12 years ago
    I think a shaggy rug would look good but don't sure what color?? @Margo
  • 12 years ago
    How often does this dining room area get used?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    There are so many narrow console tables..too bad a narrow one wouldn't work. If knocking that wall down, ignore my comments about adding drapery, as that would be a waste of money. In looking at your table, annother idea/easy addition is a larger centrepiece and a more modern light fixture.
    [houzz=
    Transitional Family Room · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    Not much. My husband doesn't even eat there. He eats on the couch. My daughters do.
  • 12 years ago
    My husband would like to knock that wall done some time next year or so. Meanwhile, I was hoping to do some type of work that would be useful when we do the job. It's so difficult to buy something now which I may not use it later. I feel like this look is boring! I do love the mirror though.. @ Maureen
  • 12 years ago
    I think your room would look good with a sea grass rug;)
    dining · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Are you open for a more statement light fixture?
    Artic Pear Chandelier · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I'm open to pretty much anything. I just don't have that vision that I designers have. I wish! @margo
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The best way is to borrow ideas...look through the dining room pictures on Houzz and you'll get some great ideas and realize you are leaning towards the same look/styles/items. Until your wall comes down though, you may want to hold off on a rug or even a chandelier, until you know how you are going to decorate the whole space. In the meantime, art instead of the mirror, a new centrepiece are easy and fun to add. It feels cold there right now and just needs some spice.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi---you have some nice elements in this room, but there is some conflict of design here. The floor, furniture, light, and mirror are sleek and contemporary, yet the stained woodwork, paneled door, and blinds give it a traditional/country feeling. I suggest painting the wood or at least the paneled door. I think removing the door wall is a wonderful idea. How will you address the floor once that wall is removed? Is this the same floor in the kitchen? Sorry to ask questions-just want a better understanding of what you wish this space to be.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with Natalie on the contemporary/traditional conflict- that is why I believe the sea grass rug and artic pear chandy I show will meld the two nicely;) Not to mention both are affordable and will flow easily with any new changes;)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Many times we say things are going to change and time has a way of slipping by. A project that you think will hope to happen next year can still be on the wish list 9 years later. I know this as my wall has not come down yet in my bedroom;)) Maybe next year..........?
  • 12 years ago
    I agree the mirror needs to go. It's too big for that spot and unbalances the wall.

    I added a sideboard from West Elm, a modern wine rack and Cappiello vintage poster, a rug that echoes the colors in the art, and a couple of modern bar stools. I used green to pop the red of your woodwork.
  • 12 years ago
    No shaggy rug in a dining room. Ugh!

    If you don't use the dining room, why do you want to make it bigger?
  • 12 years ago
    A more monochromatic look:
  • 12 years ago
    Here are a few inspiration photos for you. Light fixtures in pics 1, 2, and 3. Wallpaper in pic 4 (colors coordinate with your current wall/floor hues and would define that space). Both rugs pics 5 and 6. I hope this is helpful. You really have some beautiful elements. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Trickett Dining Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Symphony Chandelier · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Regina Andrew Nova Constellation Chandelier · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Enigma Wallpaper · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Maratha Area Rug, Ash, 8'x10' · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Morocco Area Rug, Rectangle, Charcoal, 7'x9' · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    I don't like the crown molding at all. I want it all white and then I can play with the colors for the wall. The French door is holding me back from allowing more space in the dining room. I love the brightness but this look ( wood doors) makes it a lot darker. Thank you guys for the pictures and ideas! Love it!
  • 12 years ago
    Groveaxle, how did you do that?? Is there an app??
  • 12 years ago
    Groveraxle.. Sorry.
  • 12 years ago
    Groveraxel is soooo good at showing what a room should look like. Good advice.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think the color of the molding and trim are throwing off the whole room. I also agree the the mirror should be moved - maybe standing. An area rug will definitely help tie the room together as others have already mentioned.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A bold, black & white patterned area rug. A new, dramatic light above table, a few pieces of art... And you will have a fabulous dining area!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I too agree that the warm color of the trim is throwing off the room. We can't see the rest of the home but based on the legs of your chairs and the mirror you have I think you are moving toward a darker wood. I would suggest that you make future purchases that remain consistent as sometimes when you mix too many wood tones together it can look "off". If all of your home's trim is the color of the dining room you might consider painting it should you wish a look that compliments your updated furnishings.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    This looks like a nice space to work with. It is clean, open and airy. However, perhaps a collage of nicely arranged black and white or sepia colored family photos on the wall to the left of the french doors would help soften the space. That could certainly help it feel more inviting. And a bright orange goldfish in a pretty gold fish bowl sitting atop of a 3' or 4' tall Doric style column in the corner next to the mirror for whimsy!
  • 11 years ago
    You could consider placing a sideboard beneath the mirror & accentuate with a large vase or japanese ikebana, or a sculpture with some candles. Also textiles on the window will add a splash of colour & pattern. Depends on your budget.