Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Remember decorative glass grapes?

Emily H
9 years ago
My grandparents had some of these on their coffee table and I had all but forgotten, until I ran across this photo. Do you remember these too?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

b0c60707dc96e704dbec061ca8232a27.jpg (570×389) · More Info
Yes!
No.
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (37)

• almostjane
    9 years ago
    One of my relatives also had rather heavy wax fruit with an odd feel to it. Needless to say, the glass is much MUCH nicer.
    Emily H thanked almostjane
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I think either my mother or my aunts used to have those. How about those glass mushrooms?
    Emily H thanked User
  • gum1
    9 years ago
    lol I remember my Grandma saying not to touch her grapes because they are one of her prize possessions and that they were so expensive FAST FORWARD I own an antique mall and get my fair share of coffee table grapes plus I get to touch them :) P.S. Most of our grapes that come in our resin though so I don't know if its the same as yours?
    Emily H thanked gum1
  • Sweetypup
    9 years ago
    finding a replacement is on my wish list!
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    You can still buy them in Murano, Italy.
  • saltking
    9 years ago
    The aunts had the glass grapes in various colors.
  • sonomajer
    9 years ago
    I bought a cluster recently at a yard sale to accent a tray holding liquor decanters. Love it!
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    I do remember these...but my mother also had the plastic ones...
  • Paula Lewis
    9 years ago
    There is something fascinating about those grapes.
  • PRO
    FurreverYours
    9 years ago
    I remember these being proudly displayed on my neighbor's coffee table. Thanks for the trip down nostalgia lane. #BeSeenBeSafe
  • akakaka
    9 years ago
    I've been seeing grapes in various materials in online sales for a while. I know what people used to do with them, but what they do now? I don't get it. You should do a feature showing them in rooms.
  • PRO
    Jarret Yoshida Design
    9 years ago
    Lol. 1970 flashback!
    9 years ago
    yes, I had the pretty grapes......brings back good memories. Wish that I still had them. I sold them in garage sale years ago.
  • mcdonaki
    9 years ago
    Hi everyone, I am the one of three, my youngest sister started collecting them about 5 yrs ago or more... managed to get a nice group of earth tones golds, greens, purples etc. and she heaped them in a nice big antique wood bowl of my grandmothers and they looked amazing! As I recall she even put some suttle little lights under them for evening entertaining - and it looked amazing as a centre piece while entertaining... my other sister caught the wave... I was the last and I love them. The variety in colouration is amazing... the way I understand it is that you look for old sets with the branch (and wiring)that connects the graps in FAIRLY good condition... those are the most desirable supposedly. Funky on a coffee table or a cook book shelf...ALTOGETHER FUN !!
  • disfromage
    9 years ago
    My grandparents used to sell them....
  • bgbbgs
    9 years ago
    My Mom had orange ones. I hated them! I just gave them to goodwill. Didn't think anyone collected them.
  • mcdonaki
    9 years ago
    Yes! I know, hated them before myself -- but now I see them differently...notice the comments of familiarity and laughter. They bring back memories... don't think there's going to be a stampede for them or anything... but they are saying that its the things that my generation remember that are becoming more desireable again. Things that are old but familiar... vintage...the grapes? well, maybe only for a few.
    They may even be like the bagpipes -- either you love em or hate em... but I agree with Ben Perdue at the top...they are becoming pricey and I just bought two at an auction not that long ago... one set is a beautiful peacock blue (gorgeous and the colour is very popular for decorating as far as I know) the other set is a white marble like material that starts with A... its not shiney. I have forgotten the word but would know it to hear it... anyway seriously they look sharp! Can be VERY kitchey (not in a good way) if your not careful though! :>
  • PRO
    Custom Design & Construction
    9 years ago
    Flashback!
  • Suzanne Krueger
    9 years ago
    OMG! I received one as a shower gift 33 years ago. I swear mine had glitter in it. I thought it was the most hideous gift I ever received!
  • T. Z.
    9 years ago

Definitely brings back memories. Some good - some so-so. lol.

My mom was so-so at decorating and had a bunch of these. She was awesome at so many other things that we ignored her funny quirks. These remind me of her and her 70's pink hip hugger bell-bottoms!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 years ago

I'm the right vintage, but never harvested one.

• kathleen MK
    9 years ago
    Mother in law had these. Someone mentioned waxed fruit. We cousins laugh about my little brother leaving teeth marks in our step grand mother's wax Apple. Memories of middle age kids born in the age of mid century modern decor. Don't ask what happened to the lamp in grandpa's study.
  • patrinkac
    9 years ago
    At local antiques auctions the glass grapes are very collectible and pricey. I think I'll check on eBay......
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

I am the proud owner of wood fruit carvings. love them some of the glass ones ones were just beautiful

• saltking
    9 years ago
    The glass grapes look better now because of the good memories as a child at my different Aunts houses during family gatherings. One aunt had 3 of them each a different color on a huge sideboard in the dining room. Another Aunt had them on the coffee table and another on a huge console TV/ stereo. As a child I was fascinated by the light refraction in the glass spheres.Those grapes have some warm memories of some great gatherings!
  • mccullb
    9 years ago

My aunt had these - I remember being fascinated by them when I was much younger. Wish I had them now!

• eightpondfarm
    9 years ago

i love just about anything organic. the earthtones, the glass ....even wire, to me, looks calm and serene. i do not have any glass ones, but i do have some old rubbery ones with a sugar looking coating that i use in one of our rooms at christmastime.

• Rosario Mendez
    2 years ago

My aunt had these in the '70s. Three of my family members are fighting over them lol.

• Rs S
    2 years ago

Oh my! Yes! I remember making them in art class in the 70’s. I gave the ones I made to my grandmother. They were done in amber, orange and yellow colors. They matched her harvest gold appliances! Thanks for the memories😊

• B L COPE
    last year

Still Beautiful

• Jean Ennis
    last year

I still have them. Received as a white elephant Christmas gift exchange. But I am nostalgic and absolutely won't part with them. Etsy has golden grapes on a vine priced $85!!

• Jean Ennis
    last year

• My Italian Decor
    last year

Skip the thrift store and get some gorgeous hand-blown glass grapes made in Murano, Italy. https://myitaliandecor.com/collections/grape-clusters/products/large-murano-glass-grapes

• william maceri
    last year

I was a kid 60s I remember them very clearly. They coffee tables all over neighborhood. They were very popular, were blue ones, green orange and ones. They were just decorative and served no purpose. I liked them because of their clear colors, particularly the blue ones. They were everywhere and they were gone. Now they are all over online, and they are very expensive. Like they say, history always it's self.

• Momof5x
    last year

First time I have ever seen them.

• Reggi3
    8 months ago

In the early 90s we use to use these as marbles